Zipp Stem and Topcap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hzucker

by hzucker

Hello all,

I can use some help. I just installed a Zipp cockpit (SL145 and CSL bar) on my CAAD10 (w/105's). The stem came with a top cap but no bolt. I was wondering if anyone else faced this problem. the FSA expander that was provided with the bike's bolt is not long enough so I can't just put it on there. IS there a good extender to put this cap on or is there something else I should do?

thanks
zuck

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

It sounds like the expander is too low in the steerer... the 145's stack height isn't really huge so I would probably move the expander up so the bolt will thread in.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

You can't use the Zipp top cap with your current setup. You have the Cannondale SI expander/compression plug that is intended to support the inner wall of the steerer.
I recommend sticking with the factory setup, although one could conceivably use a different type of compression plug. The Specialized type supports the inner wall of the steerer well and allows for any top cap. There is a small lip at the top of those so an extra 2.5mm spacer may be necessary.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Devon

by Devon

It is often documented that you should always put a 5mm spacer above your stem.