HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:51 am 

Thanks a million Juanmoretime and Ted.
This is exactly the info i needed.

My first problem is that i didn't get any double-sided spherical washers in the box at all.

Can i get them from you Juanmoretime or should I hit up Tim directly for them?

thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am 
Administrator

I would contact Ted directly. I've been helping Ted since he has some browser/site issues. I'm sure he will take care of this quickly. :beerchug:

-First one over the cliff wins!

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:37 am 

Update:

I've ran into yet another problem with these brakes.
A piece of carbon has broken off the front left caliper arm. It's the bit that the quick release nests on when in the closed position.
Now the quick release 'goes past' the closed position and jams tight. So tight that i have to remove the brakes off the bike to get a good enough angle to push it back.

I've contacted Ted and he seems to think that i'm missing a washer on the back of the quick release and this is why it's falling past the intended 'closed nested position'.

I think he hasn't looked closely enough at the pics i've sent him. It's obvious the carbon has fallen/broken off the underneath the quick release which allows the quick release to drop past where it should sit.

I've send Ted 2 emails since and waiting.....

It's hard to give the Gravitas brakes a chance when they're broken and missing parts out of a brand new box. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:26 pm 
in the industry

Pawnii,

I am happy to express you a new set once I receive information on where you purchased this set.
This is damage that I haven't seen before. A receipt would be very helpful and since you live in Australia, any contact information of the dealer that supplied these to you.

Damage and missing parts are not indicative of new Ciamillo components and I would like to know the stream of movement of this caliper set as it made its way to you.

Please email me at tciamillo@gmail.com and I will get this taken care of you ASAP.

Thanks,

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:01 am 

I feel obligated to update my own situation. Since posting on this thread, Ted has finally sent me out the washers I've needed, and offered me a discount on a future purchase.

Just felt it needed to updated since I did post a gripe/issue that was then resolved as a result.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 am 

ZeroG wrote:
Pawnii,

I am happy to express you a new set once I receive information on where you purchased this set.
This is damage that I haven't seen before. A receipt would be very helpful and since you live in Australia, any contact information of the dealer that supplied these to you.

Damage and missing parts are not indicative of new Ciamillo components and I would like to know the stream of movement of this caliper set as it made its way to you.

Please email me at tciamillo@gmail.com and I will get this taken care of you ASAP.

Thanks,

Ted

Done.
Thanks Ted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 am 

SLCBrandon wrote:
I feel obligated to update my own situation. Since posting on this thread, Ted has finally sent me out the washers I've needed, and offered me a discount on a future purchase.

Just felt it needed to updated since I did post a gripe/issue that was then resolved as a result.

How do the brakes feel now? Plenty of power?

What setup do you have? (wheels,pads & groupset)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:04 pm 

pawnii wrote:
SLCBrandon wrote:

How do the brakes feel now? Plenty of power?

What setup do you have? (wheels,pads & groupset)

In all honesty, I've never felt the brakes lacked stopping power. So from that standpoint I've always liked them. I was meticulous with setup and still had/have to re-center them every few rides.

I'm running SRAM Red, with Black Prince Swissstop pads on Zipp 202 non-firecrest and 404 firecrest.

The 202's, even in non-firecrest are still fairly wide but when I swap back and forth, that's where the shims are needed. I love the Black Prince pads but didn't really keep up deglazing them until the other day when I actually used a razor blade to "sipe" them. Worked as good as new or possibly better, on 58mph descents.

Overall, my opinion of Ted and Ciamillo products is, they are engineered very well and with great intentions, but it seems Ted tries to do too much and juggles too many things. That's just the opinion I've gotten over the last few years from being on here and my own experience.

I've got a few friends like him. Hyper talented but focusing all that talent with follow through is the trick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 am 

thansk SLCBrandon.
That's what i was hoping to hear. I don't mind tinkering and spending time getting the setup right for my ride. As long as i know that it IS possible to get perfect.

I used to hear negative stuff about the Zero Gravity's but i never had a problem with them or them having a lack of power.
Hopefully it'll be the same with the Gravitas once i tune them in.

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 am 

Mine feels very soft with stock koolpad, also weight a bit more then others have, 174 grams with everything.
I didn't get the 2 thick spherical washers, and 2 small washers that goes on to the cable pinch bolt.
I called and emailed for these washers, I don't know if I will get it or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 am 
Administrator

FWIW, I use Reynolds blue pads with carbon rims. They work very well in both wet and dry. I use Koolstop black for alloy but spend the entire season on carbon and when winter hits change to alloy rimmed winter wheels.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:58 am 

Quote:
I didn't get the 2 thick spherical washers, and 2 small washers that goes on to the cable pinch bolt.

There's washers that go on the cable pinch bolt? :shock:
I don't have the either.

I've emailed Ted a few days ago...still waiting for a reply.

The thing is, I sold my DA 7900 brakes to fund the purchase of the Gravitas. So the Gravitas is all the brakes I have.
It has been a 3 weeks now and I can't ride my bike. I hope Ted will reply to my emails soon so I can get a replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:06 am 

pawnii wrote:
Quote:

There's washers that go on the cable pinch bolt? :shock:
I don't have the either.

yes, 2 very small washers, if you don't have these, the brake cable will be damaged after tighten, I also have GSL and Zero, they all have it, the washer is very hard to see, it is sitting recessed in the hole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 am 

just so i have it right...

the washer slides over the cable pinch bolt right?
So the cable pinch bolt never actually touches the cable, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm 

pawnii wrote:
just so i have it right...

the washer slides over the cable pinch bolt right?
So the cable pinch bolt never actually touches the cable, correct?

Yes, that is exactly what it is, when the pinch bolt turns it touch the washer not the cable.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next