setup for Ciamillo Gravitas SL brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pawnii

by pawnii

hi all,

Can't for the life of me get my Gravitas SL's to work with my 303 firecrest clinchers.
Can anyone with this setup tell me what Gravitas combo they're running?

AFAIK the Gravitas SL's come standard with super-low brakeholders and the extra-wide cam.

thanks
Last edited by pawnii on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I had gsl's and got a set of smart sys wheels solution was to get ee brakes, best thing I could have done :mrgreen:

pawnii

by pawnii

i hear what your saying but i'm going to give the Gravitas a red hot go before switching. Besides ee is ugly.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Yea the looks kept me at bay for a long time.. Once you get a pair though you'll fall in love.. They are attractive in an engineering fashion.. They work very well and are quite demure in real life :mrgreen:

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I have 404FC's with GSL's, my experience leads to this setup tip:

-remove brakes

-install any other brake on the planet besides Ciamillo's

-the end.

Trust me, you won't want to send them in. I've been waiting 5 months just to receive the pad holder shims. I'll be going EE or Aerolinks......err, I mean they are great, I'll guess I'll part with them if you want to buy them.....

pawnii

by pawnii

Juanmoretime wrote:Ted contacted me since he is having a problem logging on to the site but I guess someone contacted him regarding your issue. Ted asked me to post this for him.

From Ted Ciamillo:

If the Gravitas are running the wide cam and the superlow profile padholders and there is still not enough clearance, they can be sent in for a finger modification at no charge. The finger modification became a standard operation over a year ago but this set may be older. While the set is here I can confirm that there is a minimum clearance of 1.5mm per side of the rim.

i don't have a problem with clearance. I have a problem with them bottoming out....and absolutely no power when i pull the brake levers.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

pawnii

by pawnii

SLCBrandon wrote:I have 404FC's with GSL's, my experience leads to this setup tip:

-remove brakes

-install any other brake on the planet besides Ciamillo's

-the end.

Trust me, you won't want to send them in. I've been waiting 5 months just to receive the pad holder shims. I'll be going EE or Aerolinks......err, I mean they are great, I'll guess I'll part with them if you want to buy them.....

At this point in time I'm going to persist and see if i can tune these brakes to suit my setup.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

pawnii

by pawnii

...and why doesn't Ted have his contact details on his website?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

lewolive

by lewolive

The solution for the 303 is right:
-Please measure the clearance with superlow profile and precise your brake pads.

I have made a chart in French so that customers can check the clearance and choose the real profile that they need.
Topic is here: http://veloptimal.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=180

As Ted is currently very busy on crank production, I suggest to check the stock available among the different retailers or distributors worldwide.
Sometimes, they have more stock and choice than Ted himself.

If you are from North America, Ted should be most of the time the best solution.
If you are out of North America, you should find distributors in your continent...
I personally supply the entire Europe with my website http://www.velo-perso.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I mean that I have a large choice of small parts in stock, and you cannot order what's not in stock.
I also supply after sales service kits for those who want to upgrade their brakes with the 2011 spring or just change springnuts, new padholders ot Titanium bolts for example.

The supply chain is being modified this year due to the arrival of the crank. Ted an I will have an appointment in June and we'll communicate on the best way for customers to get supplied in terms of small parts and services.
Last edited by lewolive on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You might get em working but they won't work very well, problem is the wide rims are out side of the band of good lever travel to pressure ratio, they can be made to work but the useful power zone isn't transferable. The whole range of brakes is in dire need of modernising to keep up with present rim tech..

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I'm using Enve's Pad and Zipp's (Swisstop Platinum Pro) pads with low profile pad holders and medium washers.

I had this problem on the GSL's once and replaced the pads, washers and pad holders (with Gravitas parts) which worked on a set of Enve 3.4's
carbonLORD.com

pawnii

by pawnii

are they the Gravitas SL's?
Are you using the 'wide cam'?

The Gravitas SL 2013 model comes standard with the 'wide cam' installed and 'super-low pad holder'.
Nothing else came in the box...not even a single bit of instruction.

Correct me if I'm wrong please anyone...but you have to buy these brakes, install them and take them for a test spin.
If the setup is not suitable for your bike, you have to purchase more parts, install them, test spin again....
so you basically have to keep repeating this until you find the suitable setup?
all without any help from the manufacturer and rely on info on forums :P
2012 Scott Foil Premium

pawnii

by pawnii

Thanks a million Juanmoretime and Ted.
This is exactly the info i needed.

My first problem is that i didn't get any double-sided spherical washers in the box at all.

Can i get them from you Juanmoretime or should I hit up Tim directly for them?

thanks again
2012 Scott Foil Premium

pawnii

by pawnii

Update:

I've ran into yet another problem with these brakes.
A piece of carbon has broken off the front left caliper arm. It's the bit that the quick release nests on when in the closed position.
Now the quick release 'goes past' the closed position and jams tight. So tight that i have to remove the brakes off the bike to get a good enough angle to push it back.

I've contacted Ted and he seems to think that i'm missing a washer on the back of the quick release and this is why it's falling past the intended 'closed nested position'.

I think he hasn't looked closely enough at the pics i've sent him. It's obvious the carbon has fallen/broken off the underneath the quick release which allows the quick release to drop past where it should sit.

I've send Ted 2 emails since and waiting.....

It's hard to give the Gravitas brakes a chance when they're broken and missing parts out of a brand new box. :shock:
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Pawnii,

I am happy to express you a new set once I receive information on where you purchased this set.
This is damage that I haven't seen before. A receipt would be very helpful and since you live in Australia, any contact information of the dealer that supplied these to you.

Damage and missing parts are not indicative of new Ciamillo components and I would like to know the stream of movement of this caliper set as it made its way to you.

Please email me at tciamillo@gmail.com and I will get this taken care of you ASAP.

Thanks,

Ted