HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:09 pm 

Powercordz? How so?
The only way I could see them work with Powercordz is if you wrap the Powercordz around the pinch bolt.
It's hard enough getting the exact cable length you need with normal cables let alone stuffing around with Powercordz.

Has anyone use Powercords on Gravitas brakes successfully?

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:09 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 pm 

Ted told me that there is now room to do the wraparound (on the 2014 version), whereas in the previous version it was not possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:00 pm 

Just a quick reply since I answered my own questions...

I had wondered whether it was possible to have a full power setup, with long lever throw, on a 23mm rim and shimano 6600. Answer is definitely yes. As I mentioned, as the pads wore, I had dialed out the barrel adjuster to compensate.... This is bad, and will eventually lead to dramatically diminished power. Instead, as the pads wear, the double-sided spherical spacers should be added. There is quite a large power zone, if setup correctly, so for me at least, at the mid-point in pad wear, one of the thin washers each side, and I'm back. I think the key is to make sure the pads contact the rim no later than 50% through the movement of the cam... I think this is even how Ciamillo recommends the setup. With pad contact around 40% of movement, there is plenty of lever throw (and plenty of power). So my point is, with a little care, I think these brakes can accomodate pretty much any setup with plenty of power.

And a last thought on the micro-cam... I was looking at the brakes, trying to puzzle how this may work, as we don't really have any pictures of the mechanism yet. The part of the cam the makes contact with the brake arm that runs above it is a cyclinder of wear material. Seems to me, if that cylinder was made eccentric, and able to rotate as an adjustment, that would change the pad-rim distance without changing any other element of the setup. It probably wouldn't change the leverage power much at all either. Does anyone know if this is how the system would work?? Would be a super fast and easy adjustment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 am 

ipdamages wrote:
Ted told me that there is now room to do the wraparound (on the 2014 version), whereas in the previous version it was not possible.

This wraparound method means you only get one shot at getting the perfect length as once you clamp the cable it brakes the casing of the powercordz so you can't readjust it or use it the cable again.
This was the same thing you had you had to do with ZGs.

I'm not sure Powercordz and Gravitas are a good combination considering powercordz are pretty grippy cables and Gravitas's return spring is crappy.

Quote:
And a last thought on the micro-cam... I was looking at the brakes, trying to puzzle how this may work, as we don't really have any pictures of the mechanism yet. The part of the cam the makes contact with the brake arm that runs above it is a cyclinder of wear material. Seems to me, if that cylinder was made eccentric, and able to rotate as an adjustment, that would change the pad-rim distance without changing any other element of the setup. It probably wouldn't change the leverage power much at all either. Does anyone know if this is how the system would work?? Would be a super fast and easy adjustment.

Strange that Ted hasn't released a photo or drawing of the Micro Cam yet...even though it's available to purchase already (supposedly).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:38 am 
in the industry

I have prototype images, I cannot release yet. It is happening.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:03 am 

ZeroG wrote:
Dear Pawnii,

I am sorry for your frustration. I did respond to you and I did send the insert to you. It should be to you shortly. Shipments from Athens, Georgia to Australia take some about 10 days. I know it is frustrating to have an expensive component waiting on a part. I will forward the tracking info to your email. Please understand that I will make sure you are set and operating perfectly.

Thanks,
Ted

another week has passed and still no contact from Ted, no part or no tracking number...just more hollow promises.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:10 pm 

that's the way it goes.........
In the past I've sent several mails and even here on ww I've react on postings. Ones he sent me an pm asking my mail address and that was that..............now about 2 years later I read here it happens the same to you, only bla bla bla words and no deeds. Only if he reads critical notes about his products he reacts no more no less.
I ride with the zero negative sl no probs, but asking him an update for the spring and cam 2 years a go
.......still waiting :evil:
By By zero's the next brakes will be the trp 970

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:58 am 

I understand that once you do the one-time clamp on Powercordz, you can then adjust with the micro-cam to get them just right, rather than having to re-clamp (which isn't possible with Powercordz).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:27 pm 

OMG! what can we do about this?
I can't believe what a dirty prick Ted is.
How can you stuff people around this much that spend so much money on brakes that don't work?

I really hope he does the right thing and send me what I need.

I also really hope people read this thread before considering purchasing from Ciamillo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:28 pm 

ipdamages wrote:
I understand that once you do the one-time clamp on Powercordz, you can then adjust with the micro-cam to get them just right, rather than having to re-clamp (which isn't possible with Powercordz).

That's the theory...but no one has tried it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:23 pm 

bump

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:00 pm 

has anyone got a picture of the infamous Micro Cam?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:47 pm 
in the industry

Again, I have prototype images but I'll talk to Ted tomorrow and see what the deal is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:44 pm 

still nothing from Ted

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 pm 
in the industry

Pawnii,

Since the registered mail package I sent with the insert has not shown up, I have sent a First Class package which, unlike registered, has tracking. Here is your tracking number. (please allow 24 hours to become active). Please let me know if you have any other issues with your setup. The best way to reach me immediately is by phone 770-364-7933.

www.usps.com LJ 153 377 233 US

Thanks,

Ted

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next