HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:19 am 

carbonLORD wrote:
pawnii wrote:
i doubt any mechanic would know how to set up these brakes anymore than I do considering there's no instructions in the box or on the Ciamillo website.
If there was a Gravitas expert in my area i'd gladly take it there...come to think of it, if it required an expert to install them i'd probably just sell them and get some EE brakes.

thanks for the advice though :)

Quote:
I only know of one length bolt but could be wrong.

there are actually 2 different length bolts. 10mm and 12mm.

Like I said, that's why they are "mechanics".

Not trying to give you a hard time but these brakes are so easy to work on...

What do you need to get them going? I'm a Ciamillo rep and know that Ted is in a spot right now that he cant possibly focus on everything at once. Lets just say he has a lot on his plate and if we want to continue to see super light brakes and cranks from a boutique US manufacturer we all have to be a little patient, from distributors waiting on large orders to customers waiting on spare parts...

On behalf of the brand I want to extend an apology for Ted because I understand how frustrating it is to purchase something expensive and be excited about it, only to be disappointed.

I am in The Netherlands but can certainly facilitate communication, or if need be can send out parts from here and wait for Ted to reimburse me. Who did you purchase the Gravitas SL from? Better yet, PM or email me and lets talk about set-up, and start from the beginning.

Cheers,

sabin:cL

CarbonLORD,

Thanks for offering me some help. I don't mean to be a prick but i feel that i'm being stuffed around.
I need 2 washers that go on the pinch bolts and the aluminium bung that the end of the spring pushes into. The bung gets inserted into a hole in the caliper arm.

Ted replaced the damaged caliper arm but it didn't come with the bung. I tried to remove the one on the damaged caliper arm but it seems like it's glued in...or pressed in and impossible to remove.

I purchased the brakes 'brand new' off ebay. Gravitas SL 2013, From an Authorized Reseller/Distributor. Ted has confirmed this.
(though he does discourage ebay sales as it's hard to track and verify the newness of the stock)

Like i said to Ted, I am happy to pay for the items and 'express registered shipping' so i can track the item.

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:28 am 
in the industry

Not to make light of the situation, but putting the bung in the hole did make me LOL.

I sent an email to Ted about it and have to talk to him on Monday so I will mention it again when I do.

As far as the washer on the pinch bolt, they are not on the Gravitas SL, only older Zero Gravity Ti and GSL. The current design should just be a bolt that threads into a machined piece on the back side of the arm. This is the bolt that holds the cable, correct? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

So it sounds like you just need the bung. Again, Ted will need to confirm if it has to be epoxied, but if that is the case he might sooner send out a complete replacement.

I'll see what I can do and keep you posted through a PM.

cheers,

s:cL

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:28 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 pm 

Seriously. Are you kidding. I have had experienced Mechanics tell me these brakes are garbage to set up. I installed mine myself, than brought it in to my regular mechanic, than to an 'expert' at ZG brakes.

These brakes are garbage. Don't stay center and very poor modulation. I have replaced mine with THM and to be honest, I wont even sell my old ZG's. They are junk.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:28 am 
in the industry

Thanks CarbonLord,

As CarbonLord said, the brakes are very easy to set up. I am working on some more explicit instructions for those who need a bit more information. I apologize for the delay on response. I have been quite busy. Pawnii, are you available for gmail chat? If so, email me and let's get you sorted with everything you need and get an express label going for any parts you require.

My calipers are currently at the mercy of the large disparity in rim widths but that is about to change. There is hardware to allow for optimization with any rim as shown in this image http://caw-designs.com/?page_id=453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I have developed a cam which allows for not only easier setup and dialing-in the width stance for any rim, it also allows for tuning the gap due to pad wear without the use of the barrel adjuster. This preserves the stroke of the cam and allows for maintaining the best leverage condition through out the life of the pads. It also solves the problem of cam hitting the bottom of the barrel adjuster when the pads wear if the setup was done poorly using the old solution.

My system has had an Achilles Heel with respect to accommodation of wide rims which have recently hit the market. A perfect solution to the new wide rims and Ciamillo brakes will be available next week with the new Micro Cam. This cam can be used to upgrade both GSL and Gravitas calipers so that:

1. The calipers do not require the use of the double-sided sphericals in most cases.
2. Wide to narrow change-overs are quicker than anything other caliper on the market.
3. Gap can be adjusted and maintained without the use of the barrel adjuster.
4. Modulation is preserved throughout the life of the pads.

This cam is featured in two new products, the Negative GSL Micro, and the Gravitas SL Micro. Both of which will be available first through our co-branded product with Carbon Lord, https://www.facebook.com/pages/carbonLO ... 9108933385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and through our European distributor, Veloperso, http://www.velo-perso.fr/fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and in Asia through Robert Choy Imports, https://www.facebook.com/pages/T3-Bicyc ... 2019851028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Ted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:58 am 

Micro cam sounds like it's exactly what the Gravitas needs. It would be a dream if i could use both my wheels without having to add/remove spherical washers.
I'll take one!

Ted, i'm not on gmail chat. I've never even heard of gmail chat before.
My setup is 99% there. I just need u to send me an aluminium bung that goes in the back of the caliper arm. (where the spring inserts into on the back of the caliper arm)
...oh and set of the Micro Cams please.

Are u no longer reachable at tciamillo@gmail.com?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 pm 
in the industry

Hello Pawnii,

Yes, I am still at tciamillo@gmail.com but I have been inundated with emails lately. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer all of them as fast as I'd like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:34 pm 

remove

Last edited by pawnii on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:45 pm 

I've been waiting 2 weeks for a reply!

I'll send you another email with my address now. Please send me the bung.

Realistically how long till you can send me out some Micro Cams?

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:56 pm 
in the industry

The Micro Cams will start shipping next week along with the Gravitas SL Micros and the Negative GSL Micros.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 pm 

A week has passed and still no reply from Ted.
Ted seems to only respond to shitty threads about Ciamillo on WW.
Shame that he sounds so sincere on here...but yet does fcuk all.

IMO you're an shit company if you can't get your shit together to reply to emails even after 3-4 weeks.
Wish I could get my money back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:52 pm 
in the industry

Dear Pawnii,

I am sorry for your frustration. I did respond to you and I did send the insert to you. It should be to you shortly. Shipments from Athens, Georgia to Australia take some about 10 days. I know it is frustrating to have an expensive component waiting on a part. I will forward the tracking info to your email. Please understand that I will make sure you are set and operating perfectly.

Thanks,
Ted

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:23 am 

Ted,
I have not received a reply from you in weeks. You have promised me shipping details before without delivering (twice).
When the part arrived the box states that it was actually sent 8 days after you told me you sent it so forgive me for not believing you when u say "I've sent it".

It's pretty simple, give me the tracking number if you have sent me the item.
Post it here even.

To make it easier for you, here's my email
sang76@tog.com.au
sang76@tog.com.au
sang76@tog.com.au

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:17 pm 

I am watching this topic with interest. For a while, I've been losing power with my GSL brakes. Recently, I had to pull so hard for a downhill stop that I slipped the cable and nearly crashed. After reading here, it is clear that pad wear has slowly been decreasing my power, and that as pads wear, additional washers should be introduced rather than dialing out the barrel adjuster or tightening up the cable at its brake mount bolt.

My question, to those who may have perfected setup... Is it possible to use these brakes with a large amount of brake lever movement before pad contact (i.e large pad to rim distance), and maintain end-of-throw power? I really don't like setups where the brakes activate with a minimal lever movement, but have had trouble getting my setup dialed (shimano 6600 levers, still.... I know!) 23mm wide rims, and the super-low-profile pad holders.

As a side note... One of the major difficulties which the new micro-cam may eliminate is having to completely re-do brake setup for every race day. Switching to my carbon-specific pads (which get way less wear) was no problem initially when both carbon and alu pads had equal wear. But now that they're different, it appears I will be adding/removing spherical washers along with the senseless agony of switching campy pads (campy friction fit standard is stoooopid, although lighter :)

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 am 

Quote:
My question, to those who may have perfected setup... Is it possible to use these brakes with a large amount of brake lever movement before pad contact (i.e large pad to rim distance), and maintain end-of-throw power? I really don't like setups where the brakes activate with a minimal lever movement, but have had trouble getting my setup dialed (shimano 6600 levers, still.... I know!) 23mm wide rims, and the super-low-profile pad holders.

i doubt it.

Quote:
As a side note... One of the major difficulties which the new micro-cam may eliminate is having to completely re-do brake setup for every race day. Switching to my carbon-specific pads (which get way less wear) was no problem initially when both carbon and alu pads had equal wear. But now that they're different, it appears I will be adding/removing spherical washers along with the senseless agony of switching campy pads (campy friction fit standard is stoooopid, although lighter :)

I think it would be fair to say that not being able to switch between wheels, specially between wheels with different brake surface or rim width, is a limitation of Ciamillo brakes atm.
The Micro-Cam is supposed to fix all these problems but no one has seen or tried it yet. Sounds like a hot-fix to me and with most hot-fixes they're never perfect.
We're all pretty desperate for a resolution now so I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by pawnii on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:13 am 

I ordered a set of the new Gravitas SLs on Friday (with micro-cam). I know Ted has been very busy trying to bring those to market, and fortunately my 05 ZGs work fine, so I figure I'll get them when I get them.

I don't think Ted mentioned it, but I understand that the new Gravitas SLs are also compatible with Powercordz.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next