having second thoughts...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aaric

by aaric

Couple alternatives to quick releases... I've wondered what the advantage of quick releases was for unless you use a fork mount rack for your car.

Tune spin stix. 55g for $~75
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... 8874&MODE=

or $19 for 70g, assuming you carry a 5mm allen with a steel axle
http://store.halo-usa.com/c/skewers_hex ... on-skewers

Makes changing the wheel slightly longer...but what's an extra 10 seconds unless you are racing with a team car.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

I tend to go for bolt on skewers whenever reasonable. I have an allen on me at all times, and it takes only a second or two more with no question about how secure it is. As mentioned above, QRs don't really have much purpose unless you specifically need to change your wheels as fast as possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

the tune spin six looks like external type rather than internal locking.

I found some dura ace ones that has the internal cams. Heavy though...

aaric

by aaric

Spin stix don't have cams - they are screw on / down like a bolt on skewer. FWIW I find them quicker to remove than the regular skewers on the front, as its easier to unscrew them to get past the lawyer tabs - no flipping the quick release back and forth to avoid hitting the fork.

addictR1

by addictR1

anyone here riding with the tune AC16-17 or the AC14?

Geoff

by Geoff

That is one of the 'costs' of light-weight kit. If you want to avoid problems like that, stick with Campagnolo or Shimano factory skewers and save the light kit for race day.

addictR1

by addictR1

just an update.. pulled the trigger and bought 2 sets of AC14 from Christian @ starbikes. just so happen a buddy of mine rides a SCOTT CR1 and having worse issue with the skewer than me on his frame. now just waiting for DHL to make it's slow ass way into the states...