Difference between Chorus and SR shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jurkotomo

by jurkotomo

Hi guys,
Does anyone know, if there is any difference in the "click feel" between Chorus and Super Record shifters? I looked at the campy website and besides titanium parts and lower weight, there doesn't seem to be any difference.

Any experiences?
Best regards to all!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

jurkotomo wrote:Hi guys,
Does anyone know, if there is any difference in the "click feel" between Chorus and Super Record shifters? I looked at the campy website and besides titanium parts and lower weight, there doesn't seem to be any difference.

Any experiences?
Best regards to all!

Hi, 2days ago I tried both, I did not notice any difference.

Ciclicasati

by Ciclicasati

A few higher grade parts that just titanium screws i think. They have those cuts out...err weight saving.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have a SR and a Chorus, both feel the same. Both are the older 09 versions if you need to know. I believe the SR version has a bearing in the shifter.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The SR has the different lever, Ti springs, bolts, fittings and a bearing in the mech instead of a bush plus a more pronounced click

Record vs Chorus the differnce in the shifters is..... The screen print on the levers..
If I remember rightly that's the only difference.

As a gruppo The brakes, chain, cassette, 'railers and cranks are lighter.

They have the same design, actual operation and functionality

Permon

by Permon

sugarkane wrote:The SR has the different lever, Ti springs, bolts, fittings and a bearing in the mech instead of a bush plus a more pronounced click

Record vs Chorus the differnce in the shifters is..... The screen print on the levers..

You do not talk about current groupsets, right? From 2011 the Record has 2 cutouts in the lever, similar to SR levers. So, 2 differeces between Record and Chorus.
Maybe 3...... as I am not sure, I thought that Record also have bearings instead of bushings.....
If I am wrong, correct me.

andyindo

by andyindo

Someone posted the parts list for the latest Chorus and Record shifters recently. Besides the blade with the cutouts the internals are still the same.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I was talking about the 2010 version. Sorry but I'm not surprised.

If you don't want to throw down for SR I'd get chorus every time.
Record is just not better enough to justify the price upgrade.

That full carbon rear mech in the new SR gruppo makes it a must have

I'm a proper weight weenie now any ways. I only want shifters and mechs. Got the brakes and cranks covered. :P

Quickdraw

by Quickdraw

sugarkane wrote:The SR has the different lever, Ti springs, bolts, fittings and a bearing in the mech instead of a bush plus a more pronounced click

For the first generation of 11-speed (i.e. through 2010), Chorus, Record and Super Record all used a bearing instead of a bushing in the mechanical. I think it is the same with the current generation (i.e. 2011 to present). The Record lever now has cut-outs in the upper portion of the brake lever. The Super Record then adds a carbon fiber inlay to the up-shift lever, which would seem purely aesthetic. If Competitive Cyclist is correct in their descriptions of the shifters the only other difference between Record and Super Record is that the "internal shift disc" changes from aluminum to titanium. So I don't think it is adding "Ti springs, bolts, fittings and bearings in the mech[anical]" as indicated. The differences between the shift levers are pretty minor, and the weight differences even more so. Maybe, if the shift disc is titanium rather than aluminum there might be a slight difference in feel and the pice might be less susceptible to wear and tear.

I have both first generation 11-speed Record and Super Record. I like the shifting of the Super Record better. It is slightly smother and the downshift on my Record sometimes gets stuck, forcing me to upshift before I can downshift. I don't think the differences are between lines (i.e. Record v. Super Record) so much as idiosyncrasies of the particular lever or batch of levers.

Champ

by Champ

2009 and 2010 Chorus shifters had bushings while the 2011 and on have bearings. SR always had bearings so the shift feel should be the same between 2011+ Chorus and any year SR. The ergo body shape changed slightly in 2011 across the line so that may contribute slightly to any perceived different shift feel.

DaveS

by DaveS

Champ wrote:2009 and 2010 Chorus shifters had bushings while the 2011 and on have bearings. SR always had bearings so the shift feel should be the same between 2011+ Chorus and any year SR. The ergo body shape changed slightly in 2011 across the line so that may contribute slightly to any perceived different shift feel.

Only the early model Centaur 10 ultrashift levers had bushings. All others have always had bearings and even Centaur got bearings, quickly. I bought 2009 Chorus ultrashift levers and know that they had bearings. You can look under the brake lever and catch a glimpse of the steel bearing OD, not a plastic bushing.

I've still got a pair of Centaur ultrashift lever with bushing, converted to 11 speed. I could never tell any difference between them and my Record 11 levers.

The only internal part that is different on an SR shifter is the disc that retains the 2mm steel balls and small springs. That disc alone is made of Ti and nothing else.
Last edited by DaveS on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

DaveS wrote:
Champ wrote:2009 and 2010 Chorus shifters had bushings while the 2011 and on have bearings. SR always had bearings so the shift feel should be the same between 2011+ Chorus and any year SR. The ergo body shape changed slightly in 2011 across the line so that may contribute slightly to any perceived different shift feel.

Only the early model Centaur 10 ultrashift levers had bushings. All others have always had bearings and even Centaur got bearings, quickly. I bought 2009 Chorus ultrashift levers and know that they had bearings. You can look under ther brake lever and catch a glimpse of the steel bearing OD, not a plastic bushing.

I've still got a pair of Centaur ultrashift lever with bushing, converted to 11 speed. I could never tell any difference between them and my Record 11 levers.

The only internal part that is different on an SR shifter is the disc that retains the 2mm steel balls and small springs. That alone disc is made of Ti and nothing else.

I think where the confusion stems from is campag released catalogs saying the chorus shifters would use bushing.. Then they just used the record internals any way...

ejprez

by ejprez

Not sure if my 2nd gen Chorus was just felt less smooth from 2 seasons of use or the cable and housing needed replacing but i just put on Super Record and it felt so much more smooth shifting and not sure if it was a production change in campy but my super record had more detents as far as shifting multiple cogs. from cogs 1-4 I can shift 4 cogs in one push before it goes to 3 at a time, and in the last 2 big cogs i can dump 5 but if im in the 3rd to last big cog or lower I can dump 6.

My chorus it was cogs 1-3 that I can shift 4 with one push before going to 3, and dump 5 cogs no matter where I was. If that is only unique to SR then that would make some sense as their way of differentiating SR from Record and Chorus. Would like to see how the Record compares as far as multi cog shifting is it more like chorus or SR.

Weight wise and if you're on somewhat of a budget, still hard to beat Chorus for weight and performance. I just went SR as a B-day present to myself and it was on closeout.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Other than the price, not much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com