Campy 10s/11s FD issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Greg66

by Greg66

My would be current setup: Campy Chorus 11s bar end shifters, Campy 11s chain, Campy Chorus 10s FD, SRAM S975/Quarq 10s 50/34 crankset with Rotor Q Rings.

Firstly, Campy Chorus 10s ergos + Campy 10s chain + Campy Chorus 10s FD + that chainset has worked fine for a few years. So I know there is no intrinsic problem to getting this lot set up properly.

However, I'm finding with the mix of stuff I am now trying that the chain either won't shift onto the big ring, or overshoots. It is proving impossible to get it to shift up reliably without it overshooting. Looking at the shift carefully, it appears that as it shifts up, the lateral movement of the chain as it bridges from the inner ring to the outer ring creates a "tail" of movement in the chain, where the tail sits outside the line of the big ring, and that's causing it to drop off as the big ring roatates forwards. I've played with the limit screws a lot, but it comes down to less of 1/8 of a rotation making the difference between not shifting and overshifting. There's no middle ground.

I've ordered a Campy 11s FD, in the hope that that's the culprit. But can anyone offer any insight into whether that is likely to cure the problem, or perhaps whether there is a special trick to setting up Campy bar end shifters?

TIA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

centoph

by centoph

having a chain drop issue as well... i'm on full super record 11s.

PITA. happened again this morning on way to office (hence, my search for this topic)

chain drop i can deal with... the fact that it's dropping past the chain catcher to the BB is annoying.

can't get it back up onto the small ring w/o a tool

chain catcher adjustment?

serbelo

by serbelo

I have a chorus 11 tt shifter kmc 11 speed chain chorus 10 speed FD lightning cranks with praxis chainring on a Parlee tt bike and no problems encountered.
Have you tried rotating the FD a few degrees?check also height of FD relative to chainring tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cervelo R2.5
Cervelo P2c
Cervelo R3
Parlee Z3
Parlee TT

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Centoph:
most likely your derailleur has lost the plastic insert that mounts at the front of the derailleur's outer cage plate.

greg66:
The 10sp fd cage is wider than the 11sp cage. this is most likely the source of your problems.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Greg66

by Greg66

thisisatest wrote:greg66:
The 10sp fd cage is wider than the 11sp cage. this is most likely the source of your problems.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bingo!

The 11s FD worked straight out of the box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

It should be practically impossible to simply 'drop' the chain past a properly installed chain catcher. You can certainly 'pull' a chain through under power, though. If that is what is happening, it is a riding technique issue. If not, the adjustment is the problem.

Due to the torque exerted by the bolt, it can be difficult to properly adjust the chain catcher freehand. Don't try to do this. Instead, drop the chain to the small ring. Place a cone wrench between the chain and the chain catcher and tighten to spec. When you remove the cone wrench, the chain catcher should be perfectly aligned as dose to the ring as practicable.