Upgrading to Dura Ace C24 9000 clinchers from Easton EA90SLX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

windsurfingodie

by windsurfingodie

I have a set of 2010 Easton EA90SLX clinchers and would like to upgrade to another light weight aluminum wheel set. I narrowed it down to the Shimano Dura Ace C24 9000 CL. Both sets are about the same weight but from what I've read the Shimano has a better hub and is better in cross winds. I ride in areas with lots of hills and very windy. Will I notice a difference or should I keep the Eastons Thanks in advance

system787

by system787

I'm inclined to say that while the Dura Ace hubs are very smooth, the ceramics in the Eastons and the R4SL hubs spin very nicely as well. I'd say the wheels are similar in performance, but the Dura Ace might be a little stiffer, and the rim is also a little wider (22mm wide I think).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

windsurfingodie

by windsurfingodie

I think the rim wall is 20.8 and is the same from the 7900 C24

powpow

by powpow

I've owned the Eastons and currently ride the DA 7900 C24. Assuming the 9000 version has only made it better, I would say go with DA and it's not even close. The Eastons have smooth hubs and they're light, but I found them flexy (160 pounds) and broke several spokes while climbing. The DA wheels are the best I've ever ridden. Stiff, strong, light enough. In fact, I may go looking for some closeouts on the 7900 version if there are any left.

windsurfingodie

by windsurfingodie

I've found a set of the DuraAce C24 9000 clinchers from Merlin Cycles for $750 U.S and free shipping. At that price I can't go wrong. Hello new wheels