alchemy orc hub problems please guild me

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liketoride

by liketoride

i had my LBS change the bearing to the ceramic bearing set that i bought from fairwheel and ever since changing the bearings the tension on the free wheel has been to tight and have gone back to the LBS 3 different times do see about making it spin easy. While i am riding the chain is flopping on the chainstay and scratching up the drive side chain stay. I have looked at it and cannot figure it out. It will work for a little bit and then i stop peddling and the cassette just keeps turning and the chain starts hitting the spokes and it is really frustrating. i do not have bearing presses that is why i took it to my LBS. What do you recommend? thanks

GT56

by GT56

back to the shop (again)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

Too much lube or the wrong type of lube on the freehub body teeth.
Sounds like the freehub body has been greased. If it's cold it'll be even worse.
Try bringing it into the warm, if it's better at room temperature you have a lube issue.
Just wipe it out and run some oil on the pawls instead.
Pedalling Law Student.

liketoride

by liketoride

there is grease on, i will try oil and see if that helps

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Right, the thick grease is causing this likely. Clean it out good with a synthetic motor oil/light lubricant, wipe it all down well, remove the pawls themselves if possible and clean it real well. Pawls can go flying if you aren't careful along with the metal springs.

Once cleaned real well, put the pawls/springs back together, right before the hub shell goes on over the pawls, put 1-2 small drops of low viscosity lubricant, again, like a synthetic motor oil, on each pawl. Re-assemble the free hub body back on, re-tighten.

Spin the wheel in your hands and ensure it spins smoothly and doesn't catch. Report back!

liketoride

by liketoride

Well all i had was real oil but want to say thanks for the info. I put oil on it and have put on 80 miles and the problem is gone. I want to know how long you do you think I have before I need to change the oil? Do you know of one syn oil better than the others? Thanks again

legs 11

by legs 11

Depends on your local conditions really? At this time of year the wet here in the UK can really get into everything.
A little bit of water can mix with mineral oil and turn it into a nasty sludge that doesn't lubricate very well and will let your steel parts corrode.
I use wet chain lube on mine, as it's nice and runny, synthetic and it sticks to your pawls etc.
Could be worth looking for a softer grease if you want to fit and forget instead of lubing on every service?
Glad you're sorted out though as it's annoying when you have to keep going to a shop to get stuff like that looked at.
Well done, and Happy Christmas. :thumbup: :beerchug:
Pedalling Law Student.

liketoride

by liketoride

I live in dry dusty so cal, USA. It only rains a couple weeks a year. I will get some better oils going forward and thanks again for the info. Happy holidays to you too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com