Valve extenders vs long valve stems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I am going to be getting a new wheelset soon, Enve 3.4's with Alchemy hubs. Due to this being weight weenies I am curiuos what everyone else does in reference to the valve extenders. By my calculations this is what I have found.

50g tube (x2) + 2g valve ext. (x2) = 104 grams
72g tube with 60mm valve stem (x2) = 144 grams

Hey this is weight weenies that is 40 grams.

Can anyone give the experiences they have with extenders are they a pain in the a$$ to deal with? Any other alternatives to this. My thoughts when I make an upgrade I never want to add weight to my bike it is always for the chase of making my bike lighter. Appreciate anyones thoughts or comments or any light weight suggestions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Never any problems with Conti extenders. Might not be the lightest ones, though.

Oswald

by Oswald

I tried to repair a small puncture in a cyclocross tubular once with one of those latex spray cans. When unscrewing the spray can, I accidentally unscrewed the valve extender as well... For a moment I thought it was snowing in my garage...
Impossible to clean that mess up, had to throw my clothes and stuff away...

G6612

by G6612

This may be a non issue I just found the conti supersonic tubes at 55g with 60mm valve stem. That may be a solution.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

i've tried two types of extenders: the ones fitting over the valve, and those that require using a removable valve core, that relocate it. In my opinion, only the latter actually works well. the ones that sit over the valve leave the valve open. I've never been able to successfully fill the tire and have the valve close. on the other hand, the ones using removable cores have allowed me the luxury, but if you ever need to use someone else's tube (if we're talking about clinchers), odds are, the valve is integrated into the stem, so you're S.O.L. Lately, I just ride with a long-valve spare tube and patch kit, if it's a particularly bad ride.

G6612

by G6612

Can anyone recommend a good patch kit for road tubes, I never had good success patching them.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I've had success with virtually any patch kit (even the 'free' ones that my non profit used to distribute), maybe it just takes a bit of practice?

I have also used the 'sticker' type with varying success. The ones from Knog were not so great, but the Park Tool "Super Patch Kit" have been holding strong on my test tubes and they now have a place in my ride bag. http://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Rema tiptop. Nothing else. Buy them in bulk and get the big tub of vulcanizing glue.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

i use the Park Tools kit, since it came with my tool kit. Works great. Some of my tubes have 4 or 5 patches, and they keep up. Never had much success with the sticker type. I have the PT ones as well, and i might get 5 miles before the tire flats on me again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com