Getting a little stressed over my 06 CR1 SL weenie buildup..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Fellas... coming off a full-record group on my 05 CR1 Limited which essentially worked solid-as-a-rock, and now trying to tune my 06 CR1 SL weenie project has got me a little stressed. Let me preface this by saying I am not throwing in the towel on any of the stuff I've collected... I'm just patiently trying to work each issue out. Perhaps the-official-international-coalition-of-weenies-support-group (that'd be the O.I.C.W.S.G.) can help me get though it. On paper... my build is spectacular... however on the workstand, its a little frustrating.

Issue #1
PowerCordz... while they are a great idea... I can't seem to get the shift cables to work to my satisfaction. Spoke to Tony DuPont and he reccomended QBP Carbon housing with his product... Picked some up, and cabled out the bike with it. Reamed out the liner on all the cable ends, oiled them up with Road-Rage etc. While they worked OK on the workstand, the indexing still hung up a bit on the downshifts and will not center out on the cogs. Test rode it breifly, stretched the system, re adjusted... tried again... still horrible. Now the end of the cable where it was first clamped at the pinch bolt looks butt ugly.

Swapped in a standard campy shift cables (the ones I took out of last season's build), and voila, indexing works perfect.

As for the brake cordz... major friction there. Though I suspect they are too thick to make it though the CR1's cable stops. Again, swapped in a standard campy cable, and perfect.

Now, I have a set of brand new Nokons sitting here... but not sure if I'm going to crack open the packages. My orignal plan was to try and pull off a MadCow™ and combine the cordz and nokons.

Issue #2
Pulsions in combo with the x10SL , A/C BB and Ultradrive 11-23 Cassette. Won't function in the 39/11,12 or the 53/23,21. While of course these are not reccomended combos to ride in, I believe, they should still function. It did not have this problem with the all-campy setup.

In the 39/11, or even 12 for that matter... the chain rubs on the inside of the large chainring bad enough that the teeth are trying to pickup the chain.

Opposite in the 53/23 and 53/21 the chain will just fall off the big chainring.

Issue #3
Apparently I received a bad CR1 SL frame... a new one is in transit, and will be here on Thursday. The Seatpost slips... With the clamp totally loose, my 31.6 WCS carbon post just drops all the way down into the seat tube. This is the same post I used all last season without a problem. It fit in my 05 Limited perfect.

With the clamp tight, the post was rocking fore-aft a couple of mm... so like a couple of dummies, my mechanic and I put more torque on the clamp, and we cracked my post. Sounds sophmoric I know... but trust me... we are not beginners to pro bikes here.

Spoke with the boys at Scott, and they said they are going to make good on it. Thank goodness for that. This one really has me baffled.

Phew, thanks for letting me vent! I feel better now. I'm going to crack open a beer, and turn on the tube now (a low-calorie Mich-ultra of course...). LOL

PS... at least my C64 is da bomb! Juanmoretime is right... the dang thing flexes nicely. Mounted it on my Orbea, and can still feel Mr. Winkie after 45 min on the rollers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shinkansen

by shinkansen

As much of a weenie as I am, I stick with the principle of "UWW".... USE WHAT WORKS. Powercords... seem to me like they need way to much monkey'in around to get them to work. What would you prefer... saving 100g of having super crisp shifting? I could go and ride on some <100g carbon seat... but not, I stick with something 100g heavier because it's comfortable. I like a light bike, but I also want to ENJOY riding it!

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

I feel for you, Rich. Just one of those days when things don't quite work they way they should.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Bikes4fun wrote:I feel for you, Rich. Just one of those days when things don't quite work they way they should.

tell me about it... reaching for beer No. 2...

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Cables are last ones to mess. I stick for Campy. And slipping seat post are pain...

Smile,it will get better... :D

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

tell me about it... reaching for beer No. 2...

Boy, oh boy............
By the time you're done with this we'll have to put you on a diet, won't we?

Chin up, you'll pull it off. :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

iubike

by iubike

Had the same problem with my SL, sounds funny but once I relubed the bolt it allowed me to torque it a bit more and it is now perfect, did have the same problem though, it rocked. As for the PC'z they simply don't work, shame though, cool product.

K

Rich_W

by Rich_W

iubike wrote:Had the same problem with my SL, sounds funny but once I relubed the bolt it allowed me to torque it a bit more and it is now perfect, did have the same problem though, it rocked. As for the PC'z they simply don't work, shame though, cool product.

K

Got a feeling when I spoke to my contact at Scott, that they've seen this problem before. We lubed the bolt (I'm a stickler for lubing every last detail with grease when I do a build) and torqued down the clamp a little more, but the post still slipped. So we gave it one more crank, and the WCS post pinch-cracked.

I have a feeling both our frames came from the same batch... my limited didn't take hardly any torque to hold tight. I showed these two pics to Scott, and from the look of the clamp... its too tight. Tell me, does your seat tube look bulged like this?
Attachments
The seat tube looks bulged below the clamp
The seat tube looks bulged below the clamp
The gap on the clamp is just too small
The gap on the clamp is just too small

barrysvt

by barrysvt

Have you considered putting the seatpost clamp on with the bolts facing forward? Much better distribution of clamping force, stress riser failure is less likely. I believe U.S.E. recommends this for carbon seatposts. Just a thought.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

barrysvt wrote:Have you considered putting the seatpost clamp on with the bolts facing forward? Much better distribution of clamping force, stress riser failure is less likely. I believe U.S.E. recommends this for carbon seatposts. Just a thought.

good point... but take a CR1 frame out of the box, and you will find the clamp in this position. Plus, they spec the post I'm using on the complete version of the bike.

Karbon

by Karbon

Where was the torque wrench?

alienator

by alienator

As to the Powercordz, ask Madcow. He's set up a ton of 'em, I think, and he set up mine (w/ Shimano housings on my Campy group). They as well as the Campy cables did. Indexing and braking are spot on.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Karbon wrote:Where was the torque wrench?

We used a torque wrench on everything... but the saddle slid down as soon as I put my weight on it. We cranked it by hand a little more, and the post would still not hold.

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

Per the previous posts, stick to 'normal' brake an gear cables. I've got a set of Jagwire SE's which save something like 40g over Shimano DA and are available in black.

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

Flip the clamp around, that is standard operating procedure with a carbon seat post :!:
Last edited by TunedCannondaleR700 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cannondale is quite simply the best

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com