Tune Mag 170 disassembly

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mhk1058

by mhk1058

Can anyone make any sense of the Tune MAG 170 instructions regarding adjusting play with shims?

From what I can tell, you need to measure the protruding axle length on the drive side from the outer bearing recessed in the freehub. Then the instructions say make sure the end cap plus shims is no more or less than 0.2 (aardvarks? I assume mm).

1.I'm not sure quite what that means

2.The axle is so tight in the bearings I'm not sure how to ensure all the 'play' is at the drive end

3.What sort of device do you need to measure? Most regular calipers I've seen wouldn't measure inside the recess of the end cap or the freehub.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

An easier way to do it, is to just clamp the wheel tightly into a truing stand with a skewer and check the amount of play. If there is any binding in the freehub body or axle, remove a spacer and re-check.

mhk1058

by mhk1058

madcow wrote:An easier way to do it, is to just clamp the wheel tightly into a truing stand with a skewer and check the amount of play. If there is any binding in the freehub body or axle, remove a spacer and re-check.

Aha, thanks. That sounds like my kind of solution :thumbup:

1415chris

by 1415chris

I've noticed that the end cup can go loose as a result of changing the wheels.
First when I found a small play in the hub, I removed the cup end, spacers, re-assembled, no play.
Second time I just made sure that the end cup is seated properly by few gently taps.