my "how I build my new bike" thread - regular upda

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FelixOr

by FelixOr

Hi everybody :)
I know, it's a little early to open a thread, because I don't even have received the frameset yet, but I thought it's kinda nice to show you how the bike "grows" and give you regular updates.

Short introduction: I just finished school, and only earn VERY little money with road-racing. So i have to be careful with how much money i spend on different parts - that's pretty hard. I got a small fix-income but pretty nice rewards for good results (up to 2500€/race), so it may take 8 months to finish this project, but it's also possible that I have enough $$$ in 4 months.
This project changed a lot in the last 2 months. Actually I wanted to install my DuraAce 10sp.(at that time i estimated the weight to be around the 6.8kg mark, so nothing really special), until I was forced to put it on our teambike nxt year which is only equipped with Ultegra 10sp. (thank you corratec :evil: )
I decided to go for a Campy Record setup, although it would be very expensive. I'd have to get a crankset, front+rear derailleur, chain, shift/brake-units, cassette, a campy-compatible wheelset and cables. This time I thought the weight could be around 6.6kg wit some smaller changes.
I also wanted to get a new seatpost, handlebar and saddle.
I decided to spend some money on a part that would really lose me some weight. I bought a pair of ZeroGravitys .....
Then things started going well: I got a great deal on a EC90 bar+post, AX endurance saddle, Tune Skyline cages and Reynolds Stratus(Campy-freehub:)). If i remember correctly I only paid about 750Euros for all that stuff! I was quite happy, and estimated the bike to be around 6.4kg.
After that "financial effort" (that was a hell lot of money for me :shock: ) I had to think about think about how to get rest without waiting until the end of 2009 ;).
The frameset was clear: a Canyon F10. I already had one, but there were some problems with the lacquer, so i sent it to Canyon 14days ago, still waiting for them to tell me what's going on. I suppose they will sent me a new 2006 model, which will arrive in february :cry: .
Then, without any suspicion, Lee offered me his "old" Clavicula for free (Thank you again for that!) which helped me alot. I think I will receive it at the end of next week. I estimated the weight to be 6.2kgs

Now the only things that are still missing is campy record front+rear derailleur, cassette (ti-version), chain, shift/brake-units. All that stuff will cost me about 720euros when I take the Ti-version of the record cassette. I also want to get smaller parts like the Schmolke Ahead-Cap and a tune-lockring and want to get under 6Kg!!
I hope to be able to buy that in march next year.

OK enough said.
here are the specs:
Last Update 21.1.2006

Bar Tape Cinelli Cork 33
Bottle Cage Tune Skyline 2pieces 9
BottlecageBolts Tune 4pieces 3
Bottom Bracket FSA PP Ti MegaQuad(incl. Bolt 21gr) 210
Rear Brake ZeroGravity incl. in front
Front Brake ZeroGravity 164
Brake Pads Koolstop 27
Cables Nokon 175
Cassette Record 142
Lockring IT 5
Chain KMC SL10 Gold 244
Chainrings+bolts Shimano(52/39) 136
Crankarms THM Clavicula 315
Der. Front Record 70
Der. Rear Record 186
Shift/Brake Units Record 328
Fork Smolik RaceSL 334
Frame Canyon F10(incl. clamp, headset) 1151
Barrel adjusters QuintanaRoo Ti 3
Handlebar Easton EC90 205
Stem Syntace F99 w/Ti bolts 90mm 90
Seatpost Easton EC90 ZeroOffset 260mm 151
Seat Ax Endurace 81
Seatbinder Smolik 22
Headset FSA Orbit incl. in frame
Headsetcap/bolt Schmolke Ahead-Cap 5
Pedals Speedplay X-1 154
Grease incl. in all parts
Tires Conti Sprinter 513
Wheelset Reynolds Stratus DV 1271
Glue Conti 29
QuickReleases Tune Ac14 52

Complete 6118gr

I will post pictures later in the evening, now i have to go to dinner ;). Updates will be made as soon as I receive new parts.

So what do you think?

- Felix
Ps: I hope I didn't make too many grammatical mistakes, but I'm in hurry because of dinner :oops:

:edit: and over 6000gr again :(
Last edited by FelixOr on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:39 am, edited 12 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

the first thing i would take a crack at is putting on some lighter tires - you'll get increased accelleration and responsiveness. i love the veloflex records (about 185g each), but there are plenty of great tires out that weigh less than 260 each... some people complain about the veloflex durability, but i have never had any reason to be one of them...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

FelixOr

by FelixOr

hi lancejohnson.
you are right! I already thought about getting servizio corse. the records are just too thin @19mm.
I will edit the tires in the list :)
thank you!

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

I'm not sure I would change a thing on that build, seems pretty solid to me... You could sell the EC90 post and bar and opt for a little set that could drop some weight...

FelixOr

by FelixOr

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote:I'm not sure I would change a thing on that build, seems pretty solid to me... You could sell the EC90 post and bar and opt for a little set that could drop some weight...

what do you suggest?
i bought the EC90 in the hope it will be around 180 ..... now it's 204 *ouch*

FelixOr

by FelixOr

I took a few photos of components I already got.
Enjoy :)

I'll post some more tomorrow.
-Felix

PS: On monday I gonna order the BB, B-T-P plates for my Speedplays, some Ti screws and a Schmolke A-Head cap.

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

M2Racer 2006 QR skewers 38g
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

marko

by marko

If you just left the seat off, you would have 1g to spare :lol:

tcr

by tcr

I'm still waiting to hear how you find those Stratus'.... :lol:

Nah well to be honest I'm not really considering them anymore cos I just got a job at a bike shop and should be able to get some Cosmic Carbones niice and cheap!

Btw I'm just curious, but are you a full-time racer or do you have another job as well? I would love to be able to just train and race myself, but I can't because theres not enough racing here and with the amount of money I have its hard enough just keeping my bike on the road :lol: Chain problems and crappy wheels are conspiring against me at the moment but I have nearly won the battle!

FelixOr

by FelixOr

If you just left the seat off, you would have 1g to spare

sorry, i don't get this one :?: :oops:

I'm still waiting to hear how you find those Stratus'....

Nah well to be honest I'm not really considering them anymore cos I just got a job at a bike shop and should be able to get some Cosmic Carbones niice and cheap!

Btw I'm just curious, but are you a full-time racer or do you have another job as well? I would love to be able to just train and race myself, but I can't because theres not enough racing here and with the amount of money I have its hard enough just keeping my bike on the road Chain problems and crappy wheels are conspiring against me at the moment but I have nearly won the battle!

hi tcr,
i'd love to test them myself, but
1: the have a campy-freehub and i don't have any other campy parts yet
2: It's snowing here in AUT and temp is about -3°C ;)
3: i don't have tires :roll:

yes, i'm a full-time racer, and don't have another job. right now i'm waiting to "join the army" which every male in AUT has to! fortunately i will be put into the military sportcenter.
TCR i'm sorry to hear you have some problems :(. since this year in july i always keep thinking "be happy that it's the hardest time of your life, because if you are not, it's still the hardest time"
;)

Boonen

by Boonen

Felix, first I'd like to say I think this is going to be a real nice bike and it looks very raceworthy to me! Are you a junior racer?

You could drop some weight in the bb-area but IMO the FSA is one of the better lasting ISIS bb's out there and is worth the extra weight. You really don't want to have a bad race just to discover you broke your bb when you get to the finish (I did once, when I put the bike on the car I could hardly turn the cranks by hand :lol: )

You could save a bit when you use powercordz with your Nokon's. I'm thinking of doing this myself for next years build, but haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on the quality of them (do a search on the forum if you want to know more). BTW, I would get a pair of anodized nokon's, the silver and gold plated corrode pretty fast and really look ugly when the plating goes off.

For the rest of the parts, you could save a couple of grams on some of them, but it would cost you a lot of money to replace them with lighter and still reliable parts. Maybe the handlebars are an option when you are determined to save some extra weight.

PS: Aren't two skyline bottlecages supposed to weigh 9 grams? Saves you 2 grams right there for free :lol:

FelixOr

by FelixOr

Boonen wrote:Felix, first I'd like to say I think this is going to be a real nice bike and it looks very raceworthy to me! Are you a junior racer?

next year will be my first one @ elite :?
Boonen wrote:You could drop some weight in the bb-area but IMO the FSA is one of the better lasting ISIS bb's out there and is worth the extra weight. You really don't want to have a bad race just to discover you broke your bb when you get to the finish (I did once, when I put the bike on the car I could hardly turn the cranks by hand :lol: )

yeah, but i really want the bike to be durable. i know there are lighter BBs out there.
I won't race with this bike - i don't think the sponsors would like that idea. i build it because of the fun and will do some training on it.
Doesn't sound nice to break a BB. what BB was it? i hope you didn't injure yourself :/

Boonen wrote:You could save a bit when you use powercordz with your Nokon's. I'm thinking of doing this myself for next years build, but haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on the quality of them (do a search on the forum if you want to know more). BTW, I would get a pair of anodized nokon's, the silver and gold plated corrode pretty fast and really look ugly when the plating goes off.

thx for the tipp! i'll defintely get the black nokons. i also thought about the powercordz, but i'm still not quite sure. decisions like this have time though. as long as i don't have the campy parts, i won't buy other things.

Boonen wrote:For the rest of the parts, you could save a couple of grams on some of them, but it would cost you a lot of money to replace them with lighter and still reliable parts. Maybe the handlebars are an option when you are determined to save some extra weight.

i don't think i want to change anything else now. i'm sub-6, and very pleased with the build.

Boonen wrote:PS: Aren't two skyline bottlecages supposed to weigh 9 grams? Saves you 2 grams right there for free :lol:

unfortunately they weigh 11 grams :(
i will post pics today... just need to reload the batteries for the cam.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

Here's a photo of the frame weight incl. seatpost clamp, bottlecage bolts and headset.

:edit: no, this isn't my frame. I'm still waiting ;)

Boonen

by Boonen

Felix, I was thinking you might be a junior racer bacause of the 52 chainring. I missed your post about going in the army :wink:

I agree you shouldn't change any parts you have now, sub 6 kg is really great for a bike like this, esp. when you are on a budget!

FelixOr

by FelixOr

Boonen wrote:Felix, I was thinking you might be a junior racer bacause of the 52 chainring. I missed your post about going in the army :wink:

I agree you shouldn't change any parts you have now, sub 6 kg is really great for a bike like this, esp. when you are on a budget!

damn, i was hoping nobody would notice it :D
it's one of the parts where my limited vudget comes into play.
Actually i wanted to go for the CT² or TA rings, but the price struck me a little bit, so i looked through the boxes with "old" stuff and found the 9sp. DuraAce 52Chainring. It weighs only 88grams, so i couldn't resist....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com