Rebuild or Replace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've currently got a set of Reynolds DV3K's (2011), that I generally like a lot. I've been riding them for the last two years, and they have served me well, however, I'm getting the itch to try something new. As I'll be going 11-speed with my next bike purchase (probably Ultegra 6800 Di2, but possibly Red 22), these wheels can't carry over as-is. That begs the question: should I rebuild the wheels with new spokes and upgrade the hubs (currently proprietary Reynolds 10-speed hubs) to something that is 11-speed compatible, or just buy a new set of wheels?

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind: size-wise, I am not a weight weenie. I'm 6'4 and currently weighing 235lbs (down from 295lbs). The current wheels are clinchers, and I'm not interested in moving to tubulars. I'll upgrade both the front and rear wheels, in order to maintain matching appearance.

Suggestions welcome!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Can't say for certain but most likely the hubs are *not* proprietary, but are made by one of the Taiwanese hub companies. In which case you'd have to find out which one and see if you can get an 11spd kit.

Or you might even be able to use a Wheels Manufacturing Accelerator 11 cassette on your current hub as is. The Campy 11 spacing is nearly identical to S11. Plus, WM might produce one that is specifically made for S11.
formerly rruff...

eric

by eric

I think the generic hubs on recent Reynolds wheels are KT. If they are Novatecs you can get parts here: http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

Have you tried asking Reynolds?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

sorry for the delay in responding, i was having problems with the cookies issue on IE.

I saw that Reynolds did release an 11-speed freehub that appears to work on these hubs. I'm going to call them to confirm that. I may actually send the wheels back to them for RAP coverage, because they've developed a noise in the rim that sounds like pebbles rolling around in there. I stripped the wheels down (removed tires, rim strips, etc) trying to see if whatever it is will come out, but no luck.