AX Lightness Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PiperGreen

by PiperGreen

I most often ride on Zipp 303 tubular wheels that weigh right around 1330 grams for the set. I'm considering buying a lighter set of wheels for climbing rides, and buying a set of Zipp 202 tubulars at 1180 grams hardly seems worth the cost to weight savings. I've been looking at the AX Lightness 24mm depth premium wheelset with Extralite hubs, as an alternative that will shave almost 500g off my 303s and are 245g lighter than the 202s would be. The trouble is, I have not found a lot of information about these AX Lightness wheels, not enough to make me feel comfortable enough to make the purchase. I weigh 71kg and the roads here are very smooth, so I doubt the wheels would be used anywhere near their limits.

Having scoured this forum and still in want of more first hand experience about this wheelset, I hope by asking the specific question some of you may have more to share. Thank you in advance for your help.

Racing2

by Racing2

I was in the market for an new set of wheels myself and was also very interested in Ax wheels, I've bought an set of Ax 28 clinchers and hope trying them out soon. Some friends of mine, team Ax Lightness riders at the Trans Alp this year, were very satisfied with the Ax wheels they got and their experiences made me pull the trigger. One of them rode the 24mm you're refering too and was confident about them, he rode them in the rain and in the snow that week and loved them and called them the best set of wheels he ever had. I know they could look kind of bias, them being team Ax Lightness and all, but I go back years with these guys and I've been on many mountain trips with them, they would never bullshit me because of the sponsoring and if they were rubbish I would be one of the first to know, I hold their opinion in high regard because of their extensive experience in cycling in the mountains and the fact that I know they push their equipment to the limits.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com