HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:09 pm 

Has anyone had an issue with this? The following is an email I sent to Storck.

"Markus,

I had the pleasure of meeting you a couple of years ago at Interbike. I had rode the Fascenario a couple of times and was thrilled with the stiffness and handling of the bike. After researching your company, products, and, most impressively, your disciplined testing regiment, I resolved to purchase a new Storck. After a couple of years of passionate longing and selling of my room full of spare parts and bikes, I was able to purchase a Storck Fascenario 0.8 through my local bike shop, utilizing Hawley as your distributor. To say I was thrilled at finally being able to ride my dream bike does not do it justice. I loved the handling and marveled at the stiffness under power. After riding this frame for about two months, I was washing the bike and noticed a crack around the non-drive BB area. I was sick. I could not believe what I was seeing. Fortunately, Hawley was quick about the warranty replacement and sent me a new frame through my local shop. I was pleased to get back on and felt that it would be a one-time occurrence. I was proven wrong last week when riding on the flat Florida coast with some friends, I heard a pop and load squealing. I was not sure what happened, but as I looked around, my heart sunk. The BB shell was completely away from the frame. You can see the results in the photos above. My dream bike had become a nightmare.

I have lost confidence in your product and am not sure that I want to have a Storck any longer. I understand that Hawley is no longer your distributor in the U.S. I am considering asking for the refund of my money. Can you please respond as to the best course of action and point of contact to resolve this issue."

Trying to decide what course of action to take. This appears to be a manufacturing process error or material error with the epoxy used to bond the BB shell in.

Thoughts?

Attachments:
BBfail.jpg
BBfail.jpg [ 46.91 KiB | Viewed 3305 times ]

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:09 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:25 pm 

Why include the email you sent to Storck when you haven't even heard their reply?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:29 pm 

Simply for ease of typing. This is not the first failure. Nothing in here is antagonistic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:02 pm 
Shop Owner

Yikes.
Spoke to Markus at the show at some length.
This is a little scary though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:23 pm 

How big was the crack on your first frame?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:41 pm 

Man, Storck's are nice bikes. I hope you get this resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:50 am 

It's hard to tell from your description, but although it happened in the same area of the bike twice, are you describing two different sorts of failures? One looks like an epoxy/bonding issue, the other sounds like a stress crack of some sort -- or was that also a seperation issue?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:23 am 

It was cracked around the BB shell, but not completely separated as shown in the picture on the first frame. Same failure though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 am 

I can say that it's not a general problem on Storck bikes. In fact we have only had one issue of that sort in nearly 3 years of distributing Storck. It was actually on my own 0.8, so maybe the problem is isolated to a batch of those? (I hate to ask, but do your bike shop use a torque wrench when installing the BB cups? Believe me, I have seen otherwise very professional shops use so much force when installing BB cups, "just to make sure the sucker will not creak"...)
But anything can fail. I know that after my time in bike shops. The difference is frequency and how the problem gets solved. Now, as this is your second failure, it's fair to say thay you have had your share. Now it's even more critical how you will get taken care of.

I'm sure the new US distribution will take good care of you. Shoot me a PM if you have questions, and I will do my best to help you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:05 pm 

.......German engineers
Chinese builders :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:30 pm 

Mario Jr. - The shop is very paranoid around carbon and use torque wrenches exclusively. I have had numerous under torque issues with them (seat posts, handle bars, etc.) because they are so leery to tighten carbon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:50 pm 

I would say that you are entitled to a repair to as new standard if the bike is in warranty.

If its out of warranty, I think that most manufacturers would still want to take care of you repair wise - or replacement of the frame if a repair to as new standard is not feasible.

I think suggesting that you should be refunded the purchase price is probably pushing the boat out a little.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:15 pm 

RoadKill wrote:
Mario Jr. - The shop is very paranoid around carbon and use torque wrenches exclusively. I have had numerous under torque issues with them (seat posts, handle bars, etc.) because they are so leery to tighten carbon.

Good, then that is in order. Had to ask though, after what I have seen at shops.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 pm 

Quote:
I have lost confidence in your product and am not sure that I want to have a Storck any longer. I understand that Hawley is no longer your distributor in the U.S. I am considering asking for the refund of my money. Can you please respond as to the best course of action and point of contact to resolve this issue."

I think you're overreacting. I'd ask for quick warranty service or a different model. If you don't trust the company any longer, just sell the replacement and buy a different bike.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:30 pm 

museeuwbikes wrote:
.......German engineers
Chinese builders :)

Yeah, but this could go either way. The Storck frames are ultra-lightweight. They are designed for speed, not necessarily durability.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next