2013 romin pro vs toupe pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

what's the difference between the two? here's what i noticed from the photos:

romin pro has a kicktail at the end of the saddle and nose is more downwards; whereas the toupe pro is flat all around.

besides this.. are they using practically the same material for the shell?

also, how different is the romin pro and the evo pro?

finally.. the kicktail at the end of the romin pro saddle.. wouldn't that make you slide forward easily?

thanks~

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I rode the Toupe for a couple of years and could get relatively comfortable, but over 50 miles less so.

I tried the Romin for about a month and went back to the Toupe at that point in time. Never got comfortable at all. For me, the raised end makes the tail of the saddle useless...although its supposed to provide more support while climbing.

Spesh saddles...never again for me...
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

addictR1

by addictR1

i have a relatively wide seatbone, so my LBS suggested me to go with 2012 toupe pro 155mm. i've logged about 100 miles on it now and no matter how i position it.. my boys still gets numb and at times, felt like i got kicked in the nuts.

then i realized my seat bone is about 5.3" wide (134.62mm) measured center to center. even though the toupe pro is 155 wide, but that's if i sit all the way to the end and even then.. my seatbone will be at the edge, where it starts to flex downwards; thus putting more strain on where the cutout section should be.

reason why i'm thinkin the romin pro is it's available in 168mm, which even at 134.62mm wide, the wing part will still have room to support my seatbone up. one thing i don't know is whether or not the romin pro is relatively flat on the wing section, or more curvy.

my LBS doesn't have the 2013 romin pro.. so if i want, i need to special order thus no returns... :(

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I tried the wider/flatter saddles, they don't work for me. 143...155...just not enough "wing flex" or roundness...134 works well, with a rounded shape. I also avoid cutouts, and go for "hammocking" for relief...after Fizik Antares for a couple of years, I recently discovered the Prologo Scratch Nack which is nirvana for my needs....no pain, no saddle sores...

...I'm no skinny, narrow guy either...using the Spesh sit bone measuring gauge, I'd be over 143. In my last bit of research, I read something someplace that suggested you don't necessarily want too much support for your sit bones, just enough to get them in the right position so you somewhat intuitively distribute your weight across all the contact points as opposed to just planting most of it on the saddle.

All that said, the cliches about saddles are very true...the only way to find what works for you is to try them out. If you can try out a Romin of any type without special ordering the Pro, that may a judicious approach. I wouldn't expect a whole of difference unless they completely alter the basic shape and characteristics.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

addictR1

by addictR1

yea.. i totally agree about giving it a try first to make sure. afterall, saddle preference is a very personal thing. i try to find some photos of the Romin Pro, but can't see to find photos of it from the side view. if it's relatively flat, then that would be good for my seatbone.

xjustice09x

by xjustice09x

I currently ride a Romin Pro 155, and love it. The shape does not make me slide forward any easier than the Fizik Antares I had before. I have also read that the Romin is designed to have the nose raised a degree or two. It is slightly raised on mine.

My fitter said the Romin 155 fits lots of people really well. The Evo version is a slightly different shape, and has more padding.

Getter

by Getter

The Toupe is more of a flat saddle. The Romin is a "hammock" style with a dip in the middle. I have the Romin expert and find that I like it with the nose slightly tilted up.

addictR1

by addictR1

yea i noticed it hammock style from the photos. haven't seen one in person yet. the PRO version from the photo seem the nose is not that tilted up.. perhaps i'm wrong?

can i trouble you guys (xjustice09x & Getter) to post up some close-up pics of the saddle from the side and then also shoot the photo from the nose to the rear?

i wonder if the 155mm version the side of the wing starts to drop/ slopes downwards like the 2012 toupe pro i'm riding now.

thanks.

xjustice09x

by xjustice09x

I can try and get pictures tonight if i remember.

Specialized has side shots on their website. There are 3 pictures on the page, one black saddle, one white saddle, and a side view of the black. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/sa ... /romin-pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can try to take a nose to rear shot of mine. Its last years model which specialized has for sale in the outlet section of their website. Im not sure if they made any changes other than some cosmetic changes for this year.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks xjustice09x. can't wait to see them. i saw the one on the specialized site, but that's from the direct side view. these are the shots i'm looking for on the romin pro:

http://imageshack.us/a/img20/4015/nosetorear2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img832/9445/nosetorear1.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img547/7189/angledsideview.jpg

djconnel

by djconnel

3D Bike Fit recommended the Romin to me and I used it on the Devil Mountain Double 200-mile event and found it comfortable. I did stand up occasionally, but that's expected in a 200-mile ride. I've never used a more comfortable saddle. I don't know about the Toupe, though.

addictR1

by addictR1

djconnel: thanks for the tip. i'll look into 3D bike fit.

xjustice09x: perfect.. just what i was hoping to see. thanks!!

Getter

by Getter

These are old pics. The bike has been parted and sold.

Hope they can help you out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks getter... :) i'm waiting for my LBS to carry the 2013 romin pro. currently its only coming in with the VENGE. i'm trying to find another LBS that can order it for me and let me return it if it doesn't fit.