Recommendations on 25c and 28c Tubeless tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thatdkid

by thatdkid

I have always rode the Conti GP4000s as an everyday tire (I like it). What recommendations can you make for a tubeless road tires?

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Bontrager R3
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

Well, the obvious is Hutchinson. The Intensive is not really a 25mm, but it is a reasonably puncture resistant option and seems to wear well. I use these on my commuter with H Plus Son rims - works great. On my racier road bike I have been using Fusions, bit I am done with tubeless on that bike. I have gone through a few sets of Fusions. They don't last very long (1000-1500 miles for rear tire in my experience) before I start getting punctures on rides from glass, etc. (With sealant) And the setup is not especially light.

I don't find road tubeless to have as many benefits as tubeless for cx or mtb, since sealant doesn't work to seal normal punctures at such high pressures. It hasn't for me, anyway (numerous data points now, unfortunately).

tinozee

by tinozee

I've used several pair of all the Hutchinson RT tires - atoms, fusions and intensives. I've only had one puncture that blew air in probably a total of 20000km on those tires as trainin tires over the past year. That one time I just got off, took the weheel off, did the wheel shake and it stopped. I still had approx 60psi and rode home fast no problem. I irde in new england USA and in Czech Republic and Slovakia. The roads get really nasty in these places.

That said I also ride veloflex tubs and Conti clinchers and pretty much never get flats, even on gravel and tons of rough and dirty roads.. Go figure.

pushstart

by pushstart

Well, if you rarely flat on any tires, then you probably won't flat more frequently on RT :). I weigh on heavier side (for roadies) -- 175-180 lbs -- so that may be a difference. Anyway, the Fusions are not horrible, they just aren't a silver bullet against flats (in my experience they are like Gatorskins, they just weigh a lot more). I have found sealant only holds to 40-50 psi with glass/rock cuts, but obviously it will hold better with smaller holes. The difference is that you still have to fix the tire when you get home, whereas on the mtb sealant seals punctures and you can just ignore them.

Anyway, the Intensives are a good option for durability, though they are sized more like 23mm than the claimed 25mm. There are the new 28mm RT tires from Hutchinson, but they are stupid expensive.

pushstart

by pushstart

Well, if you rarely flat on any tires, then you probably won't flat more frequently on RT :). I weigh on heavier side (for roadies) -- 175-180 lbs -- so that may be a difference. Anyway, the Fusions are not horrible, they just aren't a silver bullet against flats (in my experience they are like Gatorskins, they just weigh a lot more). I have found sealant only holds to 40-50 psi with glass/rock cuts, but obviously it will hold better with smaller holes. The difference is that you still have to fix the tire when you get home, whereas on the mtb sealant seals punctures and you can just ignore them.

Anyway, the Intensives are a good option for durability, though they are sized more like 23mm than the claimed 25mm. There are the new 28mm RT tires from Hutchinson, but they are stupid expensive.

fa63

by fa63

I have been on road tubeless for about two years now. I have used Hutchinson Fusion and Maxxis Padrone, now on Bontrager R3 25 mm, and have Hutchinson Secteur 28 mm on order. Anyways, I love tubeless; great comfort, good grip, and great durability. I have had one flat in two years that the sealant couldn't take care of, and that was a massive sidewall cut from a piece of glass. My favorite tires so far are the Bontrager R3. That said, I am anxious to give the Hutchinson Secteur a try.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I want to order a pair of the Secteurs for my dads BMC, but he likes his Grand Bois tires too much for me to switch them. Looking forward to your review fa!

thatdkid

by thatdkid

All very good info.

Anyone have experience using none tubeless rims with Stan's style kit and tubeless tires?

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I've run all three Hutchinsons, and now on Bonty R3.

I liked the Fusions out of all the Hutchinsons but the Bontys (in 25mm) are the best of the lot. Good grip and suppleness. Wear isn't brilliant though. I don't note down my mileage so I'm not sure what they are running but they seem to wear quicker than the Fusions.

tinozee

by tinozee

pushstart, I weigh 175lb. Not a ton of my miles are on regular clinchers and I use stans in my veloflex as well. I also mtb with tubeless and agree with your point about the high pressure. You have to be quick to make sure the puncture is at the bottom as soon as you hear a leak with the road tubeless. But when I inspect the tires I do find sealant has stopped small punctures, so I'm sure its' way less prone to flat and strand you than a clincher.

ooo

by ooo

anyone tried Schwalbe S-One (30c tubeless road)?
weight 325-330 g, pressure 3,5 - 5,5 bar / 50 - 80 PSI

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/ ... s-one.html
http://road.cc/content/review/173205-sc ... eless-tyre
'

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

ooo wrote:anyone tried Schwalbe S-One (30c tubeless road)?
weight 325-330 g, pressure 3,5 - 5,5 bar / 50 - 80 PSI

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/ ... s-one.html
http://road.cc/content/review/173205-sc ... eless-tyre

I have a 28c Pro One on the front of my bike, I have read the the S-One 30c is very close to the same width on a 21mm external width rim. I will try them one my 28c needs replacing.

jlok

by jlok

Vittoria will have 28c Corsa TLR in 2019 in black. No gum wall tho :(
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nesfyl

by nesfyl

I've used Schwalbe Pro Ones in 25c during several times in the past, and most recently again after re-trying the tubeless thing. At my first attempt I strived to replace the usual Conti 4000s II like yourself, and I was was really enthusiastic in the beginning - better grip, a 'floaty' feeling and lower pressures, more comfort. But they wore out fast, and cuts starting making their way into the rear (for the most part), so after an unhappy divorce I went back to the Contis.

I recently purchased a new bike and with it some tubeless disc wheels. Thought of having another go, nostalgic of the ride quality - same experience as in the past, but again they simply don't last very long. The type of sealant really matters as I've found out, and i got the best out of them (i.e. no punctures at all) using Orange Seal. But - inspecting the rear I found little cuts and knicks here and there, and after about 2,500km I called it quits. Replaced it with another tubeless tyre though, the Hutchinson Fusion5 Performance in 28c this time. Now this is better in every way: Feels supler, transmits less road buzz, sticks like gum to the road and feels fast. But it's early still, I've only clocked around 200km on them, so no report on longevity. Hope they last cause I really, really like them.

It's a faff - I get that, and the difference to tubed clinchers is not as wide as in mtb, but it's there, and I plan to persevere.