Yaw shifting with KMC chain vs 1091R chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rijndael

by rijndael

In passing, a SRAM tech told me that I'd see better front shifting if I was running a 1091R chain (w/ Yaw & X-Glide rings), rather than the KMC X10SL chain. I thought the front shifting was already really good, but I do wonder if it gets better - or if it was just his way to push more SRAM stuff.

Has anyone run these two chains and can compare the front shifting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

genesis692

by genesis692

Not a noticeable difference in shifting, but definitely in chain life. My SRAM chain lasted 3500km, KMC lasted about 8000.

I'd take the KMC every time. I'm guessing the SRAM guy was just peddling his product (which is understandable).

rijndael

by rijndael

Interesting. Thanks.

tdudzik

by tdudzik

I can second that. I had a sram chain on it for a few days right when I got the yaw der. I swapped it out, and ever since then I've been on KMC. The diamond coat works wonders in longevity, too.

DaleRider

by DaleRider

genesis692 wrote:Not a noticeable difference in shifting, but definitely in chain life. My SRAM chain lasted 3500km, KMC lasted about 8000.

I'd take the KMC every time. I'm guessing the SRAM guy was just peddling his product (which is understandable).

Not to thread jack but 8000km on a chain is impressive! I've got 3700km on a KMC chain and it still looks new.