Going to see sports medicine doctor, need advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

So I'm finally going to see a someone other then just another fitter, been to two different one and neither can narrow down why I can't seem to pedal or symmetrically, I can hide it very well so it's impossible to see but I can tell that it feels like two pistons that are different ranges and its freaking driving me crazy, plus I tend to lean my bike to the left as well. I made a call to a local ortho/sport doctor to look me over, can you guys help me come up with a good list of questions I should ask him, my appointment is on Monday, so we have some time, lol thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rich00

by rich00

Hi,

I had a similar scenario where I was getting pretty bad knee problems on my right side. It got to the stage that I couldn't walk downstairs properly. I had seen fitters to no avail,I did get to a point where I was close to stopping riding all together. Then I started the the road of seeing phyiso's, chiro's, osteo's and a sports doctor. Basically I was getting a tight ITB and had a slight leg length difference. The left was was a couple mm shorter, so my right was doing more work and getting very tight and sore. I've now got a shim on my left cleat and my pedalling feels more even, however I do have to stretch quite regularly to keep my right side at bay. I see a chiro about every 4 weeks to keep my back in place which has flow on affect to every thing else.

When I was searching for a physio's, chiro's and etc.. I made sure to see if they had experience with cyclist in most cases most of them were cyclist which helped as they could relate to my issues.

When I was seeing the physio they did get me to a stage of pain free but when the sessions stopped the problem returned in about 2 months. The chiro for me has had the best response so far. I'm not totally pain free but it's just a niggle that I can overcome with streching. What I'm getting here is that there isn't one solution, you'll have to try and find one that fits best.

nurseflash

by nurseflash

I would also look into a great body worker. They can help identify tight areas within your muscles/tendons that can cause problems. Also, did you use a computerized bike fit, or just one that was measured and viewed by the eyes?
I had a computerized bike fit and we saw how my knee tracking changed with a shim under my cleat. It was so great as I have a significant leg length difference.