HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:23 am 

hi guys, any one gone from Romin Evo to SMP, if so, which model works best, I think a little narrower seat will be better for me, please advice, wight, dont care, im sick of my but not being comfy, its not terrible, but it could be better, thx

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:23 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 am 

Haven't tried Evo, yet, but am currently using the original Romin. Problem I had with SMP is it was a bit hammock like. Focusing more pressure on my 'taint, not my sit bones. Hopefully it'll work out better for you. They aint cheap.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 am 

Just fitted SMP Composit, after using a 143mm Romin, the one with a narrower nose (Romin Evo Pro?). So far so good but I haven't had any decent long rides. For short duration rides the Composit has been great, and I'm happy with the change: getting used to having no padding, love the full channel, like the pronounced curve upwards at the rear. Weights are similar, within grammes. If you check out Steve Hogg's excellent article on SMP saddles, the Composit whilst listed at 129mm actually suits wider backsides.
Also, for the record I remain happy with my Romin, and plan to use it on my #2 bike.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:35 pm 

Went from the Romin Evo (155) to the SMP Dynamic. I like a bit more curve to my saddle; had the Antares (too flat) and while the Evo was better, still wanted a bit more curve and a little narrower saddle. I have the SMP Pro on my mtn bike and cx/rain bike, and though the Dynamic (there's a whole family in that size differentiated by amount of padding) should get a try for something lighter and a bit narrower.

Have about 400 mi on the Dynamic and it's OK. Not going back to the Evo, but noodling on putting a Pro on this bike as well as my other two. I think I'll give the Dynamic some more miles first.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 pm 

143 romino -> 143 romin evo pro -> smp dynamic

I'm very pleased with the dynamic after about 9 months of use. I find it is most comfortable in a low, aero position.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 pm 

Agreed, dynamic is best all-rounder. I tried a couple smp and read a comprehensive breakdown of All models somewhere online. Dynamic is best for most folks. I'm good with romin and toupe and the dynamic was pretty good for me as well.

Only problem IMO is the edges of saddle right at edge of cutout are so prominent that if you hit a bump the wrong way they get thrust into you like little shivs... Or at least that was my experience. I prefer the gentle slope into the cutout on the s works toupe, etc...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:52 pm 

thank you guys, I think we are good to go with SMP!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:38 am 

This is the best discussion I've seen of the dimensions, rider types, and setup for each SMP model - http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... bout-smps/

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:38 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:19 am 

Thank you for the link, mises. Exactly what I was trying to send by telepathy! Although I think he's trying to retain a little bit of mystique to choosing a SMP, I think I managed to choose wisely without any actual trialing.