90s Shamal rebuild - parts help please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bigfatfatty

by bigfatfatty

Hi all,

This is my first post, though I've spent lots of time browsing this forum and I've certainly derived a few handy hints along the way.

Here is my dilemma:

I have a pair of campagnolo shamal tubular rims 16h (I'm guessing early 90s) that I plan to build up for track use. I have a pair of Miche 16h track hubs for the job. Unfortunately, however, I do not have the original nipple supporting plates that mate to the rim, so I'm looking for a replacement for those.

Has anyone used a substitute supporting plate in a shamal rebuild
? There are similar products available for other campag and fulcrum wheels, I'm wondering if I can use those instead. (I'm thinking Hyperon/Fulcrum racing light/speed)

Thanks for your help

RussellS

by RussellS

Not sure how much help this will be. The QBP catalog on page 833 says the following. "Not finding a small part? The Campagnolo Service Center can express order small parts upon request. Call ext. 1386 for details." Does not list a number but I assume the catalog has one somewhere. I have a set of the 90s Shamal clincher wheels with 12 spokes. Had to "make" the front wheel using a 36 hole hub. DT does make the hex head nut that goes inside the rim.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/39d ... d43067/832

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigfatfatty

by bigfatfatty

@RussellS

Thanks for the tip there, mate, much appreciated.

I'm not confident they'll have it since we're talking about 20 y.o parts, but I'll give them a go if nothing else turns up. I had thought of trying the bigger campagnolo distributors in large markets (U.S, EU) but haven't made any moves on that front as yet.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Also those nipple plates easily rotate when tning the nipples and if they do they will distort the rim. So be careful. I don't like rebuilding shamal for this reason. They are a right pain.

bigfatfatty

by bigfatfatty

@bm0p700f

Ah, hadn't really thought of that.
I'll need to make sure that the lower surface of the plate is a perfect mate for the shouldered profile of the nipple bed...I was thinking I might be able to get away with something less than perfect but I can see how that would result in the problem you've mentioned.

Thanks for chipping in