2011 "old" SRAM red vs 2012 "new" decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sandico

by sandico

Anyone have very recent experience with a same bike trade up between 2011 and 2012 SRAM red? I am going to buy one of these-looks like on eBay I can get new 2011 set (shifters and front and rear ders) for around $680 vs same 3 parts 2012 are about $200+ more. I have old 7800 DA now so anything is "newer" to me and of course lighter.

Any big improvement worth the extra $200 at this point? I could also do 2012 for shifters and front der. and use a 2011 rear der.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JensW

by JensW

if you ask me, the big improvement is in crankset, brakes and most of al, in the front derailleur. the Shifter has a little bit better form, but not that big change there.

by 2011

The upgrade on the shifters was mainly a very slight change in the shape of the hoods and few other minor changes. Same weight. I think the "old" red shifters are great, so I'd go with those.

The rear derailleur lost about 5g, and they say is quieter... however, I've been riding an old Red for a year and it's still silent. If you want to save a few grams yourself, you can see the thread on "Tuning Sram Red..."

The front derailleur for 2012 is better shifting. I have the old one, and it does cause the chain to drop sometimes and has issues shifting up and down, however I rarely use it. I'd probably go for the new one.

$200 bucks does not seem like much when you're buying bike stuff... but that money could go towards a nice saddle, new bars, new pedals... a place where you'll really FEEL a difference in your ride.

gospastic

by gospastic

I recently upgraded shifters, crankset and both derailleurs. FD is definitely worth it as are the shifters IMO. I like the improved shape plus the lighter action feel on the rear shifting.

sandico

by sandico

All sounds good but only concern with the 2011 shifters mixed with 2012 front der is I thought they didn't play well together. I thought the 2012 front der. yaw control could only be controlled properly with the 2012 shifters?

Other question all the front ders. I see on schmeeBay are braze on. Is there a clamp adaptor or is it s totally different der. if its clamp on?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've now upgraded to yaw FD and the exogram crank and performance is fantastic. I still have no interest in the shifters or RD but cassette and brakes may be on the way for me shortly.

Rascal

by Rascal

Not sure if its of any interest to you, but your 7800 fd works incredibly well with full original Red setup. Firm, quick & secure up/down shift. Weighs in around 70 grams.
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

sandico

by sandico

Excellent idea keeping front der. I am looking at a package of all 3 SRAM red 2011 but could eBay the front one. Think listings show the red ders are actually heavier than DA 7900. Can I buy just the 2012 SRAM red shifters then and keep the DA 7900 ders?

boots2000

by boots2000

I am currently on new SRAM- have ridden old SRAM for ages. Made partial upgrades along the way.
I actually liked the way the old SRAM lever fit in my hands-
I did a partial upgrade with only the new front derailleur- if you do that and some good chainrings (like Praxis)- you will have all the performance that the new group could offer.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I just bought some of the new Red. I am upgrading from 105 5700. I went with new shifters and yaw front mech. I went with older Sram Red Green rear mech to mach my liquigas frame. The new brakes will be ordered too.

Besides ergonomics they removed the trim from the front left lever. It's not needed with the yaw fd setup correctly. Using the older levers with new yaw fd will just have an extra click. Still functions fine.

Also I am not getting the new crank. I scored a really cheap force bb30 crank and custom painting it. Almost done now. I am using praxis classic rings.

Stockie

by Stockie

boots2000 wrote:I did a partial upgrade with only the new front derailleur- if you do that and some good chainrings (like Praxis)- you will have all the performance that the new group could offer.

Is there much difference between the 2011 Sram Red rings and Praxis?
I Will make the leap

by 2011

You don't want the Clamp-on style front-D. They are heavier and the sharp aluminum of the clamp can damage your frame (especially if carbon).

Regardless what frame you have, or from derailleur... get a Parlee clamp, like this... but in the correct size you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parlee-Carbon-F ... _681wt_999

JensW

by JensW

sandico wrote:All sounds good but only concern with the 2011 shifters mixed with 2012 front der is I thought they didn't play well together. I thought the 2012 front der. yaw control could only be controlled properly with the 2012 shifters?

Other question all the front ders. I see on schmeeBay are braze on. Is there a clamp adaptor or is it s totally different der. if its clamp on?

have you seen http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/ ... ity_209270 ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sandico

by sandico

Yes I read that on velonews but of course it doesn't cover every scenario including mine. So trying to piece it together. Think all considered I will grab the set on eBay of 2011 SRAM red shifters and ders for $670. Can probably eBay the DA 7900 and come out nearly even.

I am confused by one post above-how can I not get a clamp on FD if the bike isn't made for Braze on? Or are the 2009 Cdale Hi-Mods braze on and I am just misinformed?