Experiences 2013 Felt F1?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

metanoize wrote:@SuperDave Is the geo the same on the 2014 F1 as the 2013 model?

Yes, even with the new molds we kept the head tube very low and aggressive.

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Sykes wrote:SuperDave,

Could you compare the difference in ride quality between the FRD, F1 and FC. Or are we really just looking at a weight difference? I find it hard to believe that a different CF lay only alters the weight.

The F1 is the bike I've spent the most time on, I'm coming up on 50,000km since the carbon frame was introduced. The biggest thing I can detect between the F1 and an FC is the lively feel and "spring" or life the F1 seems to have vs. the FC. The FC is very stiff but has a slightly quieter nature giving it an almost "wooden" feel. I find it very similar to the previous generation Trek and current SL4.

I really cannot comment on the F FRD from a rider's perspective because I've only ridden a 56cm a few times and never in anger. My size (58cm) went to France for ride testing and our guy loved it, although I hear Cav and Griepel hated it...:).

The lab results of course show a higher STW on the F FRD and a big bump in comfort (+11% more compliance) as is the case with all our new FRD projects and new frame mold/designs like the AR from new techniques using in the fork molding and lay up. I think most people would need to do several back-to-back comparisons to feel 11% in a controlled environment and the 725g + 269g frameset's weight can certainly be compared to the previous generation F1 but here again, it is unlikely you can feel the weight loss. I know that probably isn't a popular stance here where we have threads about how much "better" bikes feel after their owners shave 23g swapping headset spacers from aluminum to carbon...

-SD

Lou3000

by Lou3000

I've spent some time with an F1 and a lot of time with my 2011 F5 (which I believe is the same as the current FC, the 2012 and 2013 F5s are different), and I honestly prefer the FC feel. Don't get me wrong, the F1 is a rocket, and Dave is right (obviously) about the lively, springy feel. However, as an everyday bike, the FC just seems like more of a ride that you can settle into and forget about.

Now if the FRD takes the F1 stiffness and adds 11% more compliance then that would be the bike I'd want.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Lou3000 wrote:I've spent some time with an F1 and a lot of time with my 2011 F5 (which I believe is the same as the current FC, the 2012 and 2013 F5s are different), and I honestly prefer the FC feel. Don't get me wrong, the F1 is a rocket, and Dave is right (obviously) about the lively, springy feel. However, as an everyday bike, the FC just seems like more of a ride that you can settle into and forget about.

Now if the FRD takes the F1 stiffness and adds 11% more compliance then that would be the bike I'd want.

I think you can also feel the stability some added mass adds. I'd rather ride a tennis ball down a rough/dirt road than a ping pong ball even though the ping pong ball is lighter, stiffer, and more aero.

-SD

Krull

by Krull

anybody knowing the weight of the fc-frame? thank you!