Seized Tune Mag 170?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TiG

by TiG

Hi People.

In need of a little knowledge. I have a Tune Mag 170 hub with Campagnolo freehub body on a Focus Izalco.
The problem is that the hub does not freewheel at all when on the bike. It will freewheel in your hand albeit not the smoothest however once it is mounted on the bike it will not move at all backwards :noidea:

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue? The hub has never worked since being bought so it is not something that has come on over time.

I'm not sure how the freehub comes off however I assume it just pulls off like DT 240s as I have removed the end cap of the axle but cannot remove the free hub body

Any help would be great!
Tim.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

It sounds like your cassette may be bottoming out on the frame. Have you checked the clearance between the lockring and the dropout?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TiG

by TiG

Zen Cyclery wrote:It sounds like your cassette may be bottoming out on the frame. Have you checked the clearance between the lockring and the dropout?

Looks like you're right. I pulled the end cap off the hub on the drive side, and there is one washer before the bearing? It seems I need a thicker/more washers to space the end cap out so it clears the lockring. Any idea if this is a Tune specific washer or where I can get a hold of these particular washers?

Thanks.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Pull the cassette off and put it back on the bike. If it spins freely, then it's a cassette spacing issue. Pulling the endcaps won't fix this. Perhaps there is a spacer behind your cassette that needs to be removed?

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Could be as mentioned cassette spacing issues...either on the hub side or the frame.
Or you have too many washers between the freehub and the end cap.
Ont he Mag 170 these washers adjut the preload ont he hub...so too many of them puts too much load on the bearings when clamped ont he frame.
If it spins freely out of the bike but not on the bike you have any of the above issues and you can discard any internal/freehub issues.

TiG

by TiG

Well I tested the wheel on the bike without the cassette, the hub seems to freewheel without slowing down the wheel. So I believe it's a cassette spacing issue? I've attached pictures if it makes any more sense. It seems the cassette sits too far outwards and hence sits further out than the axle top cap which is what should be clamping to the dropout (First picture), but instead the lock ring seems to be hitting the dropout. I'm not sure how to get the cassette to sit further in? It doesn't seem like there is a spacer to remove, the ring on the freehub body seems more like a seal with an o ring...

TiG

by TiG

Has no one got any ideas on why this happening? Thank you! Really want to get this wheel going!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Sounds like you've got the campag spacers all jumbled up....

(although i cant see your pics)...
Official cafe stop tester

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Are you sure you have a compatible lockring? There have been a number of generations.

Either way, it does look like you could find one with a lower profile.

TiG

by TiG

Casette spacers are arranged exactly how they are on a fulcrum 5 wheel which works perfectly well with the same cassette and bike...The older generation lock rings have different threads no? And hence incompatible...

Is it possible I need a thicker washer behind the end cap to space it out past the lock ring? I can't understand why the cassette extends past the end cap, surely the Tune hub is missing something? :(

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

It's definitely not spacers as those are not used to create length but only to adjust preload. Adding spacers will just cause the axle to bind. It's possible you have the wrong end caps on the axle, measure your OLN and see if it's at 130-131mm.

richard@lbrc.org

by richard@lbrc.org

To my eyes - and I have a Tune Mag fitted on my race wheels - your largest cog on the cassette looks way too close to your spokes. I thought maybe it needs an extra spacer there, but you say your lockring is also too far out and is touching your dropout. LIke your cassette is too wide.

It's almost as if you have a 11-speed cassette mounted on a 9-speed hub or something.

Maybe it's time to measure the freehub?

R.

TiG

by TiG

OLN measurement I'm fairly confident is around 130~131mm (Don't have calipers at home to get exact measurement).

The other possibility I was thinking is the metal ring at the base of the free hub possibly around the the wrong way? If it faced the other way the groove would sit more flush with the rubber o ring? (Picture 2) I'm really starting to grasp at straws here!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Tig, please listen to what Madcow is saying. He sees a lot of tune hubs in a year and should be quite in the know for any problems.

Thanks.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

What you have there appears to be 9/10 speed freehub body and end cap. An 11 speed cassette is too wide to fit it.
You need an 11 speed body and cap, which can be bought from Starbike as a kit I believe.
:wink:
Pedalling Law Student.