Light weight brakes that really work!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

EE brakes are tremendously ugly. Can't get over this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I really like them- a lot of people have told me that they look very different (better different) when seen in reality rather than a photo.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

mythical wrote:Ironically, Craig, owner of EE Cycle Works and developer of the EE brake, is also an architect by profession. :wink:

irony? - based on the EEbrake I am thinking there may be a reason he is now designing brakes instead of buildings :lol:
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

mythical

by mythical

C'mon mate, that's just a plain insult. Kinda curious what you have designed.

While EE's may not be photogenic, I prefer them over any other brake to control the stopping of the bike I'm riding. Here's an interview Fairwheel did with Craig from EE.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Rick

by Rick

ichobi wrote:Would you guys rate P-x brakes as good as DA or SR brakes in terms of stopping power and modulation?

I haven't used latest DA brakes, but have older generations. I've also used Ultegra and Cane Creek.
The PX do everything I want, and I do a lot of mountain descents.
They are a bit more inconvenient to get the wheel out and adjust, as noted earlier.
To me the weight and cost savings make it a good trade-off. They stop the bike just about like every other brake, which always seems to depend more on the pads and rim surfaces to me. I never notice "flexing" or anything like that.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Ive been using Ciamillo products for a decade and have Gravitas SL's on all of my bikes, including my wife's bike with Smart System wheels. I cannot say I would trust the carbon clincher/ lightweight brake set-up if I lived in the mountains and rode in the rain but they work fine for me and I'm 200+ lbs, ride in groups and race on mine, where it is flat (Just being honest). Set-up has never been an issue for me and I find no compelling need for more stopping power. Clearly I have liked, used and supported the product long enough to distribute but this is in no way a sales thread, just a fact that if I didnt like the products, I wouldn't use them, put my wife on them and race them if I thought they weren't up to the task. Plus, they look great!
carbonLORD.com

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Dadoflam08 - Which model of KCNC brakes are you talking about?

civdic

by civdic

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but the EE brake pads are easy to switch out. I ride carbon and aluminum brake tracks. Only takes seconds to change.

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

For me KCNC CB1 are the best value for my money.
Weighs 164 grams and cost me $150 Brand new. No problems so far.

eric

by eric

They did not work well for me. There is a lot of friction in the linkage mechanism, they use a strong return spring and the arms are very flexy. So you need a lot more force at the lever to get the same braking as with good dual pivot brakes. When doing repeats of a 20 mile long climb on a very twisty road I was getting nerve pain from my hand up my arm. I need to be able to type in order to make a living so I got rid of the CB1s and went back to 7800s.

The EE brakes work even better than the 7800s did, although I had to get a set of the older lighter return springs to make the brakes perfect for me. The brakes have no problem returning with Sram 2012 levers.

pawnii

by pawnii

I hope the next generation EE brakes are made from carbon.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Could someone compare Ciamillo GSL and Far and Near?
- stopping power,
- modulation,
- compatibility with wider rims
Thanks

thprice

by thprice

fifarafa wrote:Could someone compare Ciamillo GSL and Far and Near? ...

Here is a start: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=7582&sid=c4188dcaa52661c4e8d62e3ebde255c5

HillRPete

by HillRPete

dadoflam08 wrote:KCNC are great value for money but a little lacking in power and modulation - probably locked them up more than any other brake.

Interesting. My experience with the C7 is that they are a great weight and general value for the price, and I would recommend them for everything but alpine descents, because they don't quite have the power of the heavier stock-brand calipers. Never had any issues with modulation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fifarafa

by fifarafa

I read of course :)