Light but strong quick release skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

wait.. i'm getting a pair of the farsport Ti skewer coming in with my set. should i be worried? they look identical to the KCNC version.

Routier

by Routier

I've been using these Planet X carbon/Ti ones for over a year now and can't find fault with them http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQR/planet_x_ti_stick_quick_release_with_carbon_levers

Even a twice the price they'd be great value.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

izza

by izza

Zen Cyclery wrote:The KCNCs are OK. Much better than the Far and Nears in my opinion.

My favorites are the Enve titanium ones. They have a better clamp force than KCNCs, and they're far more abrasion resistant.

I have the KCNC ones and am constantly tightening - just added to list of pre-ride jobs (e.g. check pressures, look for nicks in tyres, tighten up skewers, etc. ....). Have ordered a pair of Enve ones next week so if the clamp is better then this may be a job I don't need to do as often.

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

izza wrote:I have the KCNC ones and am constantly tightening - just added to list of pre-ride jobs (e.g. check pressures, look for nicks in tyres, tighten up skewers, etc. ....). Have ordered a pair of Enve ones next week so if the clamp is better then this may be a job I don't need to do as often.

What do you mean when you say you are constantly tightening them? Is the threaded end unscrewing in use, and you have to screw it back to the correct position? Is the skewer rod stretching (this one seems unlikely)? Is the lever coming open and you have to push it closed again?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I check my skewers regardless of the type....just a safe pre-ride check IMHO.

addictR1

by addictR1

wow.. That's super light!

thprice

by thprice

Token TK233 are fine.
Tune DC-14 are my preferred QR.
Both are reliable, tighten firmly, etc.
Tune seems to give you a greater grip will less force on the lever.

jmsp

by jmsp

Routier wrote:I've been using these Planet X carbon/Ti ones for over a year now and can't find fault with them http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQR/planet_x_ti_stick_quick_release_with_carbon_levers

Even a twice the price they'd be great value.

+1
Tighten and forget! They clamp very well and never get loose!

sawyer

by sawyer

Pre-ride check on QRs is sensible for many people.

Always possible something has happened that means they are not tight.

It's about 2 seconds per QR.

KCNC user here for 6 years with no problems.

Dura Ace have the smoothest clamping action IMO but it's a lot weight.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

deermatt

by deermatt

Im glad to see the planet x skewers work well, I just got them in the mail, havent used them yet. They were the lightest for the money that were in the US .

kya

by kya

I'm not fond of the Planet X skewers. After about 2 months of use, the plastic "washer" deformed and cracked from the pressure. I didn't think I was making them all that tight either.

tranquilo

by tranquilo

deermatt wrote:Im glad to see the planet x skewers work well, I just got them in the mail, havent used them yet. They were the lightest for the money that were in the US .

Unfortunately, for me, they always made some creek when I pedaled out of the saddle no matter how much force I put in while clamping them :noidea:
They are pretty light for the price, tough.

thatdkid

by thatdkid

Salsa Ti skewers have always been a solid choice. I have had a set that I have used on several wheel sets and never worried about them. Now that I think about it I think they have been on at least a dozen different bike and wheel combos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pina2

by pina2

Which ones are good? I just received titanium truvia skewers but the nobs are too small, they don't feel right.

What skewers are rigid, big nobs, yet light.. Throw some suggestions ppl.