Light but strong quick release skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

kcnc for me too. Better than late campy skewers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycmtber

by nycmtber

Starter wrote:I don't f*ck about with ti skewers. I know plenty of people have love for them, just not my cuppa. I stick to steel.

That said, there are generic lightweight steel skewer bolt-on's on ebay for around 13-20 bucks shipped. Sold under various names and available in multiple colors- black, silver, red, blue, green, gold, purple, etc... bullet-proof and verified at 65 to 66 grams a pair. They have a standard 5mm hex end.

Cycle Taiwan sells a pair of Figmo steel skewer bolt-ons that are similar, but have larger, more aggressively machined caps and also feature dropout guides. They are available in black only and use a 5mm hex as well. The weight on those drops to 60g a pair (the 52g claimed is inaccurate), and the price goes up to $39 shipped.

I prefer bolt-ons both for the added security and the lower weight... besides, when do you ever ride without a mini-tool? And thanks to lawyer-tabs, a QR takes just as long as a bolt-on...

I recently got some custom wheels and had the option of steel bolt-on's. I went for them since the builder said they were light. Mine came in at 63g for the pair.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

So I put on a set titanium skewers that are like 43g per set, I think all of them are fairly similar.

I set the tension fairly high and close the lever, the lever can move a bit and will move a little after riding.
What's the trick to set up these? It looks like the seat can move a bit at the ball joint surface, but it really does move the shaft too so I think this is a problem if it keeps moving around.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

There is no need for high tension on skewers. And although you might think so, not all of the light skewers are created equal. Some are more equal then others. Think of tune and pop.

Sent from my HTC.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Frankie - B wrote:There is no need for high tension on skewers. And although you might think so, not all of the light skewers are created equal. Some are more equal then others. Think of tune and pop.

Sent from my HTC.

Both very nice skewers..
And much lighter than the troublesome item in question.

I use the Token TK2341 carbon y-cut skewers. A fair bit cheaper than the tune or pop offerings and at 35g a set not real heavy, zero dramas in their operation and performance too..

Ciclicasati

by Ciclicasati

Plenty on eBay cheap ti and carbon

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

This is what I am using, anyone with experience with them? What is causing the lever to move a bit during riding.. I mean it shouldn't be induced to spin much at all.

http://www.bikehubstore.com/Titanium-Qu ... p/qr43.htm

cerro

by cerro

looks like KCNC almost.

But it's not super light skewers…

eippo1

by eippo1

PoorCyclist wrote:This is what I am using, anyone with experience with them? What is causing the lever to move a bit during riding.. I mean it shouldn't be induced to spin much at all.

http://www.bikehubstore.com/Titanium-Qu ... p/qr43.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use these as well. Never seen them move at all during a ride though. Maybe crank them down a bit more?

mtnbkr

by mtnbkr

I got the Planet X Ti Stick QRs. So far so good. They don't move. 44g.

Leonel

by Leonel

So which are the best for the price/function/weight?
i was looking at the Ti KNCN but I hear people have problems keeping them tight.
Advice please

pje0713

by pje0713

I like the extralite aliens 3. Great clamping strength, 55g.

dvincere

by dvincere

I ride the Ti KCNC skewers. Best price for the weight I could find. They have plenty of clamping force but it's not obvious when it's fully closed. I've seen mistakes before where the frame interfered with it and kept it just far enough from closing where it could pop open. If you're pro enough to not do that stupid shit they work fine 100% of the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The KCNCs are OK. Much better than the Far and Nears in my opinion.

My favorites are the Enve titanium ones. They have a better clamp force than KCNCs, and they're far more abrasion resistant.