Reynolds Blue brake pads.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've owned a few sets of Reynolds carbon wheels. I currently ride a set of 46C ULs, and 32C ULs, and I used to have a set of the pre-UL 46s. I rode with the standard Reynolds black pads for many miles, experiencing some of the things people have complained about with carbon wheels (although nothing too severe). At low speeds, late in a stop, they would sometimes make some noise, and they were never quite as consistent as my good old Alu rims / brakes. Well, late last year I bought some of the Reynolds blue pads and was quite impressed. Over the winter I cracked out the Ti bike with alu 30mm clinchers, with TPR 920 brakes with Kool-Stop dual color pads. I was convinced that the TRP 920s with Kool-Stops were about as good as anything, but I got back on my Addict with the Reynolds carbon rims and the new blue pads (TRP 960 brakes), and guess what? The carbon wheels with the new blue pads stop just as fast and more consistent than my alu rims. Just sayin'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I wonder if those are re-branded Shimano blue pads because Shimano makes a blue pad that is as good if not superior to the Yellow swiss stops imo on carbon \ alu.
Just ride ..

dolophonic

by dolophonic

They are good. I am using some and like.

quattrings

by quattrings

yeah, I really like them too.
I have a set of '10 assaults and they stop just as smooth/easy/fast as my alu clinchers.
I do find the pads wear quite fast, as I've only done about 250k and I would estimate they are already shaved by a millimeter.
Also, I had the rear pads shuddering a bit at first, a bit more toe resolved the issue.

So far I'm very impressed with both wheels and the blue pads. Great job reynolds!

s4one

by s4one

Can the blue pads be used for both alum and carbon rims? I have 2010 assaults and ROL race SL's. I don't dare ride the mountains with the assualts. Decending while braking will prob melt the rim or blow my tire. haha

quattrings

by quattrings

yes and no. You can use them on an alloy rim... you just can't use them again on a carbon rim afterwards. The pads pick up small fragments of aluminium of your braketrack and these lodge themselves in the pad. This causes more wear on your carbon rims.

Just use regular pads for alloy rims and safe the blue pads for when you're riding your carbon rims. It only takes 2 minutes to swap the pads.

sawyer

by sawyer

Has anyone used these on Boras? If so, how do they perform, including relative to other carbon spec. pads?

Does anyone know a store in the EU selling them?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

showdown

by showdown

LOVE the blue pads. I'm using them on generic Chinese carbon rims and they provide predictable and perfect braking each time. No squealing, no grabbing.

Reynolds Blue = WIN

eurperg

by eurperg

+1 for the Reynolds blue pads. Very nice braking feel with my 2010 Assaults.

eric

by eric

Besides working better they're about half the price of SwissStop yellows.

timerider

by timerider

sawyer wrote:Has anyone used these on Boras? If so, how do they perform, including relative to other carbon spec. pads?

Does anyone know a store in the EU selling them?

I would like to know this too. I have Fulcrum Racing Speeds.

Rick

by Rick

My blue pads on Reynolds carbon rims are working great also.
I have them installed on the Planet-X CNC brakes (which appear flimsey) but they actually stop as good as anything I've ever tried.

Getter

by Getter

Just switched over from Zipp pads...which squealed like mad. The Reynolds are much quieter.

Reynolds has them for 24.99 (four pads) + ship on their website now.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

+3 on the Blue reynolds pads!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JensW

by JensW

so are they better then swissStop yellow? but wear out faster?