DA 9000 or Red 22?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DA 9000 or Red 22

DA 9000 mech
31%
DA 9000 Di2
38%
Red 22 mech
21%
Red 22 Hydraulic
10%

Total votes: 143

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I just picked up a spanking new Scott Addict R1 frame and I'm not sure what to hang on it.
I had originally planned to put DA 9000 on it, but then, before I ordered, I see SRAM has come out with Red 22.
That's making me rethink my original plan. I've always been a DA guy, but since I'm also a WW, I really like the idea of dropping weight.
I like the gearing options of DA 11 (probably 52/36 and 11/25), and was ready to go with that when... RED 22 arrives. Okay, less weight, I'm already losing compatibility on a lot of wheels (going to 11). Maybe it's time to do something new? What do you think.

mann2

by mann2

If you prioritize performance at the weighing scale then by all means go get the lightest group (as they say... this IS weight weenies :) ). However, if you want something which makes you smile every time you shift, it appears you already knew the answer all along. ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You may want to take into consideration that unless you have some special connections, you may have to wait 2 or 3 months to get the Red 22. Only you know whether/how much that matters to you.

winky

by winky

Right now, SRAM has hydraulic disc brakes if that is important to you. If you are into cyclocross then you are probably gonna want hydraulics soon. SRAM has it now. Shimano though is actively developing hydraulic disc brakes. It has already been spotted on some pro CX rider's bike last month.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I love how these threads (like clockwork) appear well before any one in the real world has had access to, let alone ridden, one of the groupsets.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

No need to quote post above

Huh? I know 4-5 guys with DA9000 that have had it since Dec-Jan or so. Rave reviews too.

I've only ridden SRAM Red but if I was building a new bike today I think I'd go DA9000 based off their thoughts.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

TP's point is that Sram Red 22 has, quite literally, just been announced to the press, in person less than ten days ago.
It may not hit the public market for a few months.
Many may not receive their own order for quite a few months after that, as priority will be for OEM sales (as it always is, always was, and always will be).

So, to continue TP's tip of the hat, first hand experiences with 22 may not come for a while, and if you want to wait until you get it in your hands you may not be riding that frame for quite some time.

Alternatively, ride what you have now and switch groups later. If you can't wait, DA 9000 is pretty awesome in its own right, as one would expect it to be. I really don't see 22 possibly disappointing if you're already in favor of SRAM's approach (loud, definite shifting, double-tap, etc:.), and obviously there is more tuning surrounding SRAM than there is Shimano at the moment. It just seems that people are more willing to take the knife to a Red group than a Dura-Ace or Super Record. Anyway, it really doesn't matter too much: ride what you want, swap whenever you want.

Ah, the beauty of a bicycle: where you are the engine, drivetrains are not proprietary to the frame, and components are (mostly) interchangeable. :D
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

VNTech

by VNTech

Full production begins on Red 22 in May. We won't even have media samples until mid June.

That said, the mechanical 22 stuff feels exactly the same as Red 2012. That's because, basically, it is exactly the same just with an extra click.

The hydro discs blow any rim brake out of the water. The hydro rim brakes are just powerful rim brakes, nothing very special there to be honest.

I'll be putting the discs on my personal bike. I hate rim brakes. But that particular bike is never raced, it's just my travel/play bike. If you're racing, and thus want to stick with rim brakes, rest assured that the new stuff is going to feel exactly the same as the old stuff. Base your decision off that feel. Weight is essentially identical as well.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

genesis692

by genesis692

prendrefeu wrote:Many may not receive their own order for quite a few months after that, as priority will be for OEM sales (as it always is, always was, and always will be)

I understand what you're getting at here, but didn't aftermarket sales slightly precede the OEM supply of 2012 Red last time?

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Well this really isn't something I need to finish ASAP, and I'd be willing to wait 30 or so days if Red 22 is the way I decide to go.
(I personally think Red 22 will be on the fast track because of the market share SRAM can potentially take from DA at this point).
It comes down to 4 main issues for me.
1) Performance
2) Weight
3) Durability
4) Cost.
I know I will not be disappointed in the performance of DA. Red is an unknown to me, but I know a few people who ride it and they like it (although none of them are a zealous as some of the DA and Campy people I know). The weight is what tips me towards Red. I will probably go with Planet-X brakes, so the calipers are a non-issue. The cranks on the DA seem to be around 80 grams heavier than Red, and on Red I can do a ring swap and lose another 40 or so. Durability? I know I like my 7800 stuff, and other than the normal cassette and chain swap (and very infrequently rings), it has been amazing. I don't know anyone who has the miles on Red that I do on DA, so I'll have to give this one to DA. Cost? Red should win, unless there is a big price bump for the 22 stuff.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
The pole is helping me in my decision and I'm kinda leaning DA (but I still can't justify the Di2 price :shock: in spite of pole results).

Rick

by Rick

I'm riding a mix of 2010 Force and 2012 Red Levers/Front Derailleur.
Another bike with DA 7800.

2012 Red is certainly reliable and works well. But if you are used to DA, you will think to yourself "this shifting is sort of heavy and clunky" every time you shift on Red. So just ask yourself if the other advantages (weight, cost, availability) outweigh that one negative.

I voted DA. Mech
of course maybe the 11 speed groups will be slightly different than the 10s I can compare.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

genesis692 wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Many may not receive their own order for quite a few months after that, as priority will be for OEM sales (as it always is, always was, and always will be)

I understand what you're getting at here, but didn't aftermarket sales slightly precede the OEM supply of 2012 Red last time?

It did, partially, but there are still some people who are just now getting their 2012 Red aftermarket orders.
:noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

trizzle21

by trizzle21

I've played around with 9070. I wanted to weep with every shift. I don't know if Red will provide nearly the same experience.

aaric

by aaric

Red 2012 is a very nice groupset. Red 22 is reviewed to be the same with an extra cog. The reviews for 9000 are stellar though.

I think your groupset choice is really going to depend on if you are looking for something new, focused on light weight, or just want to enjoy the new bike and forget about it.

Another option would be to get a 2012 Red group cheap in the meantime to ride the new frame, and see if you like it. Since you are planning on going aftermarket rings anyways, the crank/bb/brakes would all be reusable down the road. Use your existing cassettes. Maybe buy a chain, or reuse a shimano if you've got one floating around. I'd wager you could buy the 2012 red, ride it for 6 months, and resell it for a loss less than the premium you'd pay to be a first adopter of Red 22 vs waiting 3 months for the prices to come down.

And then you'd know if you like the double tap or not, and have less skin in the game.

eric

by eric

The 9000 reviews from people I know and trust have been very good. Having 7800 and Red 2012, I'd go with 9000. 7800 is so much better in shifting function, and 9000 is supposed to be even better than 7800, unlike 7900.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com