PowerCordz Swift cable housing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MNX1024

by MNX1024

lannes wrote:
MNX1024 wrote:Anyone used these or at least PowerCordz cable with Dura Ace 9000 brakes and how's the performance on them??

Haven't notice much of a difference with the 9000 brakes power wise, I think the only real issuse is the crimping of the powercordz, which may damage them over time.

Did you use the Swift housing with them and were they finicky to setup? Also, did you not use the grommets provided?

Otter

by Otter

Any way to make Swift shift housing work for Campy 11sp? PowerCordz customer service said probably not, but I've seen a few bikes on here with Swift+Campy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

MNX1024 wrote:
lannes wrote:
MNX1024 wrote:Anyone used these or at least PowerCordz cable with Dura Ace 9000 brakes and how's the performance on them??

Haven't notice much of a difference with the 9000 brakes power wise, I think the only real issuse is the crimping of the powercordz, which may damage them over time.

Did you use the Swift housing with them and were they finicky to setup? Also, did you not use the grommets provided?

I used the full Swift outers and powercordz inners, they are easy to setup, the trick is to allow for a longer inner sheath, thread the outers onto the inner sheath to the length you want, make sure they are completely compressed together and then trim the inners to match the the outer length.

I did use the grommets on the rear and front derailleur bolts, but you can really only clamp them once, so what I did was tighten the bolts slightly just enough to hold the cables, making sure the derailleur tension was correct t before I tightened them a bit more. Once you cramp the powercordz and blue grommets hard, you can't redo the exercise as the outer cover of the powercordz gets ripped by the clamping at that point exposing the fibers.

With the brakes, you can use the blue grommets as well to protect the powercords, when clamping them.

They are also directional, so you have to be careful to thread them in the right orientation, the are also special end pieces to ensure a flat end to the outer casing, which fits better in the ferrules and barrel adjusters etc.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Does anyone know what's the status on Powercordz? I can't seem to add their swift product to the cart, FairWheelBikes has been out of stock for ages, and tried contacting their company by emails/calls with no responses.

lannes

by lannes

I think Trek would have bought out their entire inventory for the Emonda SLR 10.

spooky817

by spooky817

Hi!

I had the same problem with the Powerchordz cables when I gave them a go. Clamped once, and they are damaged and cannot be re-used and reclamped a second time because the cable is flattened when clamped at Derailleur end. I was not aware of any blue grommets...? Anyone have a link to what these look like?

Second problem I had, was that the diameter was such that I could not feed them through the hold in the brake (Engage) and could not use them on the brakes because of this - although cut with a very sharp blade to not fray the ends - anyone else have this problem, or was able to successfully use the Powerchordz with Engage brakes?

Thank you
...make it lighter...

lannes

by lannes

Here you go, this is what they look like, basicly you slip these over the pinch bolt thread and it protects the power cords when clamped.

http://www.powercordz.com/_blog/Blog/po ... /?page=322

Securing the cords requires pulling the cord tight, then wrapping it 180 degrees around the pinch bolt before tightening in place.

This thread might help with some answers on the Engage brakes

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88266

spooky817

by spooky817

Thanks for both @lannes ;-) Interesting thread on the brakes for sure!
...make it lighter...

jvanv8

by jvanv8

First, I'm wondering about the shift performance, given that PowerCordz themselves warned that it isn't perfect.
Second, where are they? Out of stock everywhere?
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

lannes

by lannes

jvanv8 wrote:First, I'm wondering about the shift performance, given that PowerCordz themselves warned that it isn't perfect.
Second, where are they? Out of stock everywhere?

Can you post the link for where Powrcordz warned that the the shifting performance is not perfect ?
All the reviews I have ready say they shift flawlessly and this is backed up my own experience wth Swift Outers and power cordz inners.

chris8382

by chris8382

I haven't really had any problems using any housing with Powercordz. Maybe I am just not as discerning about shift quality.....

I will say that I have been careful to use some left over Gore inner lining at critical points of the frame (in particular, right where the rear shift cable passes through the adjusting ferrule on the rear Chorus derailleur----the angle on this Campy set-up is fairly severe I think and the inner lining at that one point does ensure that the Powercordz does not wear or fray).

MNX1024

by MNX1024

@lannes May you go into details on how you installed the swift system on your 9000 brakes? I've been trying, but seems like the cables are slipping when I test them and used the grommets. Tried mounting them without the grommet, seems like it's better. Also, how did you prevent the male end piece from falling into the brake's barrel adjuster and geting it stuck? Because mine did and now I have to order new adjusters. By any chance do you know where I can order the adjusters?

lannes

by lannes

MNX1024 wrote:@lannes May you go into details on how you installed the swift system on your 9000 brakes? I've been trying, but seems like the cables are slipping when I test them and used the grommets. Tried mounting them without the grommet, seems like it's better. Also, how did you prevent the male end piece from falling into the brake's barrel adjuster and geting it stuck? Because mine did and now I have to order new adjusters. By any chance do you know where I can order the adjusters?

You need to loop the powercord around the screw/grommet (you can do it a few times) and wind it in tight, you will destroy the grommet in the process, otherwise maybe tie it off in a knot

You can just use a small allen key (3mm) , something that is bigger than than the internal diameter of the male end piece to push out the male end piece from the adjuster from the other end. QED.

I haven't ever seen the brake adjuster as a spare part, you will need to order it through your shimano dealer

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Doesn't seem like I can push it out with a Allen key. Since the the maleend sits flush inside the adjuster. Out of curiosity, did you actually let the male end fall inside the adjuster?

Out of curiosity, did you follow the instructions from powercordz when installing the brake cable, as in clamping down the brakes before installing the cables?

lannes

by lannes

MNX1024 wrote:Doesn't seem like I can push it out with a Allen key. Since the the maleend sits flush inside the adjuster. Out of curiosity, did you actually let the male end fall inside the adjuster?

Out of curiosity, did you follow the instructions from powercordz when installing the brake cable, as in clamping down the brakes before installing the cables?

Yes the male ends sit inside the barrel adjuster, I'm not sure how that would be a problem unless you have them facing the wrong way. The curved top actually matches the machined internal curvature of the brake adjuster.

A photo would help to show the problem you are describing.

I hold the calipers closed against the rim, while pulling the powercordz through hard to seat the cable ends and the housing, before winding and tightening them, the clamping of a powercord is really meant to only happen once, so you need to have everything adjusted first time

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com