42mm H+Son SL42 Alloy Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Just received these and thought those interested might like some pics. Not sure what i'm going to build them up into yet. Probably some fixed wheels, but I do have a spare pair of Record cassette hubs they would look good on as some deep section training wheels. At £40 a rim I don't really care to be honest! I beleive they are soon to be available in 24 & 28 hole versions too but I stumped for 32h so they should be pretty tough.

Has anyone ridden or built with these yet? They seem very high quality and well built for the price. Hopefully will get some spokes this weekend so will report back on ride quality.

Last edited by hockinsk on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I have been looking at those as there are a few places in teh states that are selling them. Not light for sure but should be aero and bomb-proof

hockinsk

by hockinsk

That was my feeling too. i.e. you get a cheap, but nice looking deep secttion rim that should last for ages. If you crash in training or pothole it, it's only £40 to replace. The weight is a shame I agree. 580g on H+Son's site is optimistic, I reckon they are more like 630g according to my non-accurate kitchen spring scales.

Evert

by Evert

Damn those rims are nice! Ideal for a nice and aero trainingsset...

Does anybody know an adress where I can buy these online?

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Evert wrote:Does anybody know an adress where I can buy these online?

H Plus Son website: http://hplusson.com
H Plus Son wrote:Dealer inquiry

Japan: please contact Taisey Products CO.,LTD (Cycroc Cycle Works)
Europe: please contact Brick Lane Bikes (UK)
Rest of the world including the USA: Please contact hplusson@gmail.com

Image Image
The main difference between the Formation Face and SL42 rim is the braking surface.
They are in fact two different profiles:
Formation Face has a flush true V sidewall without any braking surface.
SL42 is designed with a braking surface and is always machined/CNC'd. SL42 is first machined/CNC'd then anodized, creating a rim with an uniformed color (unless powder coated).
Formation Face is a welded joint rim and SL42 is sleeved joint.
Formation Face rim is not made to be used with a rim brake.

Scottybee

by Scottybee

who cares about the rims... whats the frame???

(doesnt look very WW)
17 and stupid, bear with me

Evert

by Evert

Thanks! Damn, those wheels look good. I immediatly sent an email to the shop in London wich sells them :D

The will look good with a set of DA hubs and some nice spokes...

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Scottybee wrote:who cares about the rims... whats the frame???

(doesnt look very WW)

It's a Kirk Precision frame, they were made of magnesium alloy:
http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk.htm
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=48272

LVGH

by LVGH

They look amazing!! Very interested in seeing the final build.
Heard that at least 28 holes are currently being produced (24 will probably follow afterwards), but I'm not sure whether Brick Lane Bikes will offer them. Btw, they have the rims listed for 46 GBP instead of 40?
Last edited by LVGH on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Managed to find some black Sapim Lasers and black polyax nipples so have started to build them up on some Record hubs this evening. Not finshed yet, hence the wavy untensioned spokes on the rear wheel still and the greasy nipple oil all over everything.

Hopefully the pics will give you a better idea what they look like built up with road hubs and more stealthy looking spokes.

I'll get some better outside picture when I finish tensioning them up tomorrow morning.

As for the Frame, yes it's a Kirk Precision I stripped the other day. Just need to Epoxy prime and 2K it now if it ever stops raining. I hate spraying when the air is damp. On a magnesium frame it's just asking for corrosion problems if I do!

The frame has been heavily modified . It will have STI stops riveted to the headtube, rear dropout inserts have been shaved in order to take 130mm hubs and the old downtube shifter bosses have been completely sliced off and smoothed. The rear pump seatstay bumps/stops have been sliced off too and re-sculpted to match the drive side seatstay. Mudguard eyelets on the dropouts have also been sliced sliced off too.

The frame is an anti-weightweenie project i'm working on and i'll probably use the SL42's on it now as they'll look good on it I think.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

hockinsk wrote:The frame is an anti-weightweenie project

A heavyweight weenie.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I like to call it Weight-Max-ism. It's very liberating!

Just pick the cheapest, but best looking stuff you can find and it naturally comes out the heaviest. Does that make me Satan on these forums?

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

I have a set of rims on order from Brick Lane, they expect delivery around January.

This is for 24x & 28x drilling. If you call the early they might get another few in the same delivery/batch.

I think their projected delivery date is quite changeable, so this will need some patience

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Are tubulars in the future ?
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Francois_Viviers wrote:I have a set of rims on order from Brick Lane, they expect delivery around January.

This is for 24x & 28x drilling. If you call the early they might get another few in the same delivery/batch.

I think their projected delivery date is quite changeable, so this will need some patience

I'll go for 24h fromt, 28h rear if these 32s feel good out training. BLB said the original prototypes they received were all 24h so hopefully they will be strong enough for such low spoke counts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com