Colnago M10 v Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

At present my Sunday best, only when it’s dry and the legs are good bike is a Colnago M10 with Campag SR11 etc. It’s a beautiful frame that ticks all the boxes – comfortable for the long haul but responsive on acceleration and in sprints and in my humble opinion every bit as good as it’s big brother the C59.

But, and this must be WW thing, I just fancy a change. The one that has caught my eye is the 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX as piloted to 9th place in the Paris-Roubaix by Katusha’s Alexander Kristoff. Canyon bikes were never really on my radar but this new Ultimate does look very sharp. So fellow weenies, what would you do in my Sidis – hold on to the M10 or get it on fleabay and use the funds to buy a new Canyon.

All reasoned opinions welcome! Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hubert222

by hubert222

just bought a 2013 Ultimate CF (not SLX), very nice and comfortable bike !!
The best Quality bike i had - colnago - c40, c50 , time -vxrs , bianchi, Look - 381, 585Ultra. giant- Adv SL isp

PSM

by PSM

Both are excellent frames. But Colnago is a Colnago and a Canyon is a Canyon.
Canyon is lighter and much cheaper.

I can only compare my M10 with the three R3's I owned and even if the R3 is like 200 grams lighter i prefer the Comfort in M10. And it does accelerate well too.
Super stiff frame. ;)

yongkun

by yongkun

I tried both before, and was previously a happy owner of M10. Very stiff laterally, Infact one of the stiffest bike I have tried. Extremely good for putting the power down for climbing.

And you will have millions more stem combinations compared to canyon...

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Colnago has cache as a brand, but the M10 compared to the SLX?
I have to tip the hat to the Canyon in this choice, assuming you can fit on their geometry.
You can get a second set of wheels with the savings gained on the Canyon too.
The stem diameter matter is not really an issue on the SLX if you get your fit right talking to Canyon before hand.

(Yes, to be transparent I have an older Canyon CF in my stable of bikes...)

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I would sell the M10 without hesitation. Personally, I have found it an uninspiring frame and without the decals could pass for any-other far east made carbon frame. I think for the money you could do a lot better.......sell sell sell

liam7020

by liam7020

Thanks for all the opinions so far guys - keep them coming!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

liam7020

by liam7020

Lafolie wrote:I would sell the M10 without hesitation. Personally, I have found it an uninspiring frame and without the decals could pass for any-other far east made carbon frame. I think for the money you could do a lot better.......sell sell sell

Lafolie, do correct me if I'm wrong but did you not review the M10 on Colnago Con Brio in June 2011...?

PSM

by PSM

liam7020 wrote:
Lafolie wrote:I would sell the M10 without hesitation. Personally, I have found it an uninspiring frame and without the decals could pass for any-other far east made carbon frame. I think for the money you could do a lot better.......sell sell sell

Lafolie, do correct me if I'm wrong but did you not review the M10 on Colnago Con Brio in June 2011...?

This?:

http://colnagoconbrio.posterous.com/?page=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Lafolie went from Colnago Paladin to detractor in a short time, it's one of the mysteries of the cycling cosmos :p
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

PSM

by PSM

SalsaLover wrote:Lafolie went from Colnago Paladin to detractor in a short time, it's one of the mysteries of the cycling cosmos :p

:noidea: :? :shock: :oops: :unbelievable:

liam7020

by liam7020

Bit of a road to Damascus experience then. Care to enlighten us Lafolie?

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I had a Pinarello Dogma2 and sold it because I didn't ride it a lot anymore after building my 2nd Ultimate CF. I think it's hard to beat the Canyon especially for the price of the frame. My is the 2012 but I'm sure I will get the new style down the road.

PSM

by PSM

Shit bike... ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com