Foil Team with DA 9000 or Venge with Red

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pawnii

by pawnii

It doesn't matter. Maybe my English is poor...or poor choice of words.
Regardless of what you're doing, front shifting on DA setup is superior compared to Sram or Campy.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

climberevan wrote:I'm not sure how the front shifting matters in a crit...I've never done one where the small ring was even relevant...
I suppose you've never done the Nevada City Bicycle Classic, despite your physical proximity thereto. Or do you just big ring it up the brutal climb?

mann2

by mann2

I have a Foil with the 9000. Can't be any happier. The one you're considering should be better since it uses better carbon.

Besides, do you really like the venge's looks? :mrgreen:

brycerider

by brycerider

Cant recall a local crit that required the small ring where I live. Not wanting to start a groupset argument in this thread. Confining the observation to the logisitics aspect of 10 vs 11 spd. Perhaps not too much hassle if I fork out for new freehub bodies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N+1 It Never Stops

climberevan

by climberevan

HammerTime2 wrote:
climberevan wrote:I'm not sure how the front shifting matters in a crit...I've never done one where the small ring was even relevant...
I suppose you've never done the Nevada City Bicycle Classic, despite your physical proximity thereto. Or do you just big ring it up the brutal climb?

Good point...this year will be my first time doing that one. I race P12, but only recently started on the West coast. Aside from that, though, I can't think of a crit where you wouldn't be off the back if you used the small ring.

/threadhijack

superbikemike

by superbikemike

I own a Foil Team raced it all of last year and I did not find it as harsh as people say. I loved the bike . I had a sponsor change this season and now ride a Trek Madone and find it super smooth and comfortable . I love this bike as well '
Thanks

Mike

Current Rides
2021 Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2
2015 Specialized S-Works Venge Di2
2013 Trek Madone P1 7
2009 Cervelo P3

planetect

by planetect

Foil.
There is a difference between stiff and harsh. I personally think the Foil is more stiff and more comfortable than the Venge. And 9000 kills Red.

pawnii

by pawnii

I've got a fracture around the seat post and was told it's a 2 month turn around for warranty.
sux
2012 Scott Foil Premium

eric

by eric

climberevan wrote:Good point...this year will be my first time doing that one. I race P12, but only recently started on the West coast. Aside from that, though, I can't think of a crit where you wouldn't be off the back if you used the small ring.

Cat's Hill (Los Gatos) requires the small ring once per lap for a very steep city block.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Damn it, eric beat me to it.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Yeah, I thought of mentioning Cat's Hill (which I've done, and used the little ring up the climb) as well, but didn't want to pile on, and decided to only mention Nevada City as it is close to his location and is nationally known.

brycerider

by brycerider

After some further research and test rides I settled on a S5 VWD, going to build it in SRAM Red so its the same drivetrain as my other bike. Looking forward to it.

N+1 It Never Stops

Grill

by Grill

Get the Foil.

I don't know why so many people say it's uncomfortable. I did a 300k audax on it last week and have a 400k this weekend. It's fine.

brycerider

by brycerider

Too late s5 VWD it will be

N+1 It Never Stops