How easy/difficult is it to assemble your own bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

winky

by winky

1) Tools
2) Youtube

Seriously. That is ALL you need.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drewb

by drewb

Nice step by step here: http://www.flocycling.com/buildabike.php easy.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

winky wrote:1) Tools
2) Youtube

Seriously. That is ALL you need.

You forgot the most important things:

i) Patience ( lots and lots of it ... )
ii) Time ( when you do not have a fixed set dateline for completion since you are learning from essentially 'zero') otherwise (i) will be compromised.

But YES, generally speaking most of the normal wrenching processes can be found via Google and Youtube. The appropriate tools can be found via Parktool's extensive webpage ( though generic equivalents on the market are usually more than enough as opposed to buying exclusively Park's )

uraqt

by uraqt

The Park tool web site, has a lot of info on how to repair stuff too!

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Don't rush, when you have to rush is usually when things "go wrong"

C

Privateer

by Privateer

+1 on getting a workstand. It makes life so much easier.

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

bikewithnoname wrote:EPS will make the installation easier, no need to spend time fannying about with derailleur adjustment.

Me thinks you haven't actually installed an EPS system. There are just as many derailleur adjustments to be made with electronic shifting as with mechanical shifting (limit stops, indexing trimming, B spring tension, front derailleur height and rotation). The main difference is that for index trimming, you push buttons on an electronic system and turn a barrel adjuster on mechanical systems.

Miller

by Miller

EPS plus a high-end frame and components seems to me to be an Uber-expensive arena for learning how to assemble a bike. Can't you find something more prosaic for learning the basics on?

Not that I'm saying it's beyond you because I am sure it is not, just that there a multitude of traps to fall into - the things you don't know you don't know.

by 0302

I built one for the first time over the winter and was glad that I did. Process took me about 5 hours tops over a couple of days Most of this was derailleur adjustment (PITA). I was also just trying stuff, learning, degreasing, re-lubing, taking pictures, and weighing all my parts. In the process, I learned that my chain had a small fracture in one of the links.

It wasn't a new build, but a parts swap from one frame to another. It was really fun. I think I could probably complete the process in about 3 hours now, and will only get better over time. I spent about $150 in tools I didn't have, but it would have cost $100 for a shop to do the build. Now I have the tools and can do as many builds as I want. This more than pays for itself. I say go for it and have fun!

lannes

by lannes

The most difficult areas are the

1) headset e.g if you need a headset press to install it
2) cutting the fork steerer tube
3) bottom bracket, if it is a press fit you may require a bb press to fit it, most screw in bb's require a tool to engage the casing

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I am installing a SR EPS system on my Tarmac and if you get the derailleur stiffener, you will need a small allen wrench [2 or 2.5mm, I believe]. From my local shop, they indicated if you are carefull, you will not need the tool to disconnect the cables for the EPS system. You will need something to run the cables too. Campy does have some magnet tool to assist you if you want to buy that. T25 Torx. Cable cutters for bikes cutters are much better than just regular wire cutters.

As for adjustments, the EPS adjustments are easier since there are no cables that need to be adjusted/routed. The other adjustments are similar to a mechanical system.