DI2 frame with internal routing can't take the cables intern

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WasFab

by WasFab

I have 2012 Rose Carbon Pro RS
So today I got it built, beautiful. Very happy with the end result. Great frame, stiff, fast, really smooth ride and the Ultegra DI2 is just flawless. I really love it. The only thing is that my LBS couldn't insert the DI2 cables into the frame and this frame takes Ultegra DI2
Check this link http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-carbon-pro-rs-3100-compact/aid:529168
so it is all external right now which is not good. This frame built to take it internally. I'm checking what's the catch here. If anyone knows I would love to her your advice.
Here some pictures

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lto4dc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frankq

by frankq

I just built a Colnago Di2 C59. Wouldn't you know it the holes weren't big enough, I just used a small Dremel sanding head part or whatever you call it and made the hole's bigger, I'm sure you LBS have done/can do it if your not comfortable sanding a brand new carbon frame.

WasFab

by WasFab

frankq wrote:I just built a Colnago Di2 C59. Wouldn't you know it the holes weren't big enough, I just used a small Dremel sanding head part or whatever you call it and made the hole's bigger, I'm sure you LBS have done/can do it if your not comfortable sanding a brand new carbon frame.

but it doesn't make any sense because this same exact frame taking DI2. As I show in the link I have attached. (the Rose Model 3100) is exactly the same frame I have. So why do I need to change the holes or to assume they are not big enough?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1jpls4

WasFab

by WasFab

Here are few more pictures on the cables close up
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TheCannibal

by TheCannibal

There are 2 wiring harness' 1 for external(which you probably have) and 1 for internal

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ace-9070ultegra-6770-di2-frame-cable-set/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Shimano-Shimano_Dura_Ace_9070%2fUltegra_6770_Di2_Frame_Cable_Set-Black

Probally not what you wanted to hear but I hope that helps

Bike looks cool just put the saddle level!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

With the old dura ace di2, there were distinct wire kits for internal, external, and everything in between. For ultegra di2, everything is in pieces, with only the junction box being clearly for either internal or external. You have the internal one. I cannot see what the hold up is, there must be some housing stop or cable liner in the holes keeping the plug ends from fitting.
What measurement are you getting for the frame hole sizes?
Edit:
What is the silver ring inside the right cable housing stop at the top of the down tube? Im assuming the mechanical cables are bare inside the frame, correct?
Last edited by thisisatest on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

civdic

by civdic

One other thing I noticed was there is no provision for any cable to exit the frame for the front DR.

tommasini

by tommasini

Ouch - all those wires taped here and there - that hurts to look at.

I must ask - what is a "Rose" - is it an open mold Tawain frame.....if so then I wouldn't be surprised by a lax of QC. And also wouldn't be surprised by lack of incentive by a shop to make it perfect......

Anyways, frame builder vs shop that built it - someone needs to step up with a solution versus all that tape and looped wire - but hope all you require is the internal wiring kit :D
Last edited by tommasini on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlchang

by mlchang

Do some brands have two versions of the same model? While the main photo in the link shows Ultegra with internal routing, the inset photo shows normal cable housing...so maybe Rose has two versions.

Either that or you have to remove something in the cable stops.

As previously mentioned there are no "internal" or "external" wiring kits for Ultegra Di2 and the new (e-tube) wiring system, just the internal and external junction box. The wiring is universal for internal and external. You just buy different lengths and the correct junction box.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Yikes that's quite the ugly wire job.

Are you sure the don't have "identical" di2 and a separate mechanical frame with the same paint job...

It just looks like a catalog frame to me so perhaps the use the same mould with different setups...

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

Have you tried contacting Rose directly? I have used their webshop (but only for a few small parts: not complete bike) several times, and they seem like a VERY serious dealer, I would be VERY surprised if they wouldn't be able to help: Their service have always been fine with me.

WasFab

by WasFab

thisisatest wrote:With the old dura ace di2, there were distinct wire kits for internal, external, and everything in between. For ultegra di2, everything is in pieces, with only the junction box being clearly for either internal or external. You have the internal one. I cannot see what the hold up is, there must be some housing stop or cable liner in the holes keeping the plug ends from fitting.
What measurement are you getting for the frame hole sizes?
Edit:
What is the silver ring inside the right cable housing stop at the top of the down tube? Im assuming the mechanical cables are bare inside the frame, correct?

the mechanical cables are only for the brakes and its running inside, if I understand you correctly.

sharkman

by sharkman

first of all take another mechanic, the built looks crap and even with the cables outside it can look good (but never with so many miles of electric tape).
Don't know where the catch with this frame is but so far I succeeded in making every frame suitable for internal routing (but sometimes drilling is nescesary, but no problems whatsoever with reliablilty).

Roark

by Roark

What is that Garmin mount?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WasFab

by WasFab

sharkman wrote:first of all take another mechanic, the built looks crap and even with the cables outside it can look good (but never with so many miles of electric tape).
Don't know where the catch with this frame is but so far I succeeded in making every frame suitable for internal routing (but sometimes drilling is nescesary, but no problems whatsoever with reliablilty).

how is the drilling, is it dangerous for the frame?

Also anyone knows if the internal junction box of the Ultegra DI2 is waterproof like the external box?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?iginj5