Is the KMC X10sl GOLD chain worth the money?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
weaverdcivw
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm

by weaverdcivw

lcoolb wrote:To me that looks like a chain that's not cleaned properly ;)


Agreed, my first thoughts were dang that chain needs to be cleaned! Probably looks pretty slick in person, I'd assume it'd be hard to make look good in a picture.

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

lcoolb wrote:To me that looks like a chain that's not cleaned properly ;)


You have to see it in person. It's undeniably black.
Because I always keep my chains clean, I found it sticking
out too much against the rest of the bike's color scheme.
I can keep this one clean and it still stays black & toned down.

Fourthbook wrote:I have both the X10SL (gold) and the X10SL-DLC (black) and am very pleased with them: look great, function just as good as DA and weigh a good bit less on my scale than the DA I replaced. Plus, with some patient shopping online, I was able to buy the gold for the same price as a DA chain and snagged the blingy black for $85.


Agreed.
I'm super pleased with it.
I managed to get my Black DLC for $83./shipped.
It's cool how one upgrade could make such a big difference.

by Weenie


lcoolb
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia / The Hague, Holland

by lcoolb

Oh, i believe you when you say it looks good in person, was just saying that in jest.
Have been using the gold X10SL on my gold accented bike for a while. Looked great! Have no experience with DA, but compared to standard Record chains it's not so much of an upgrade. Have gone back to those now, since i can get them a lot cheaper than KMCs. Weight is the same.

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

lcoolb wrote:Oh, i believe you when you say it looks good in person, was just saying that in jest.
Have been using the gold X10SL on my gold accented bike for a while. Looked great! Have no experience with DA, but compared to standard Record chains it's not so much of an upgrade. Have gone back to those now, since i can get them a lot cheaper than KMCs. Weight is the same.


:lol:

Actually, my first thought when I saw it in the pictures on my bike was that it did look like just a dirty chain!
But I'll hopefully have some pics today with the bike out in the sun. My DA chain was great, but the KMC I must
say is better. As soon as it went on I noticed an improvement in smoothness and it wasn't even broken in yet.

On my next bike, I don't think I'll be going with black parts. I think I'm going to go with anodized colors.

quaman26
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm

by quaman26

2ndgen wrote:
lcoolb wrote:To me that looks like a chain that's not cleaned properly ;)


You have to see it in person. It's undeniably black.
Because I always keep my chains clean, I found it sticking
out too much against the rest of the bike's color scheme.
I can keep this one clean and it still stays black & toned down.

Fourthbook wrote:I have both the X10SL (gold) and the X10SL-DLC (black) and am very pleased with them: look great, function just as good as DA and weigh a good bit less on my scale than the DA I replaced. Plus, with some patient shopping online, I was able to buy the gold for the same price as a DA chain and snagged the blingy black for $85.


Agreed.
I'm super pleased with it.
I managed to get my Black DLC for $83./shipped.
It's cool how one upgrade could make such a big difference.



Where were you able to get the Black DLC for $83 ? The places I have been too always sells them for ~120-130. Please advise. Thanks

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

"Where were you able to get the Black DLC for $83 ? The places I have been too always sells them for ~120-130. Please advise. Thanks."

eBay. Buy now for $93-96 shipped and less if you get on the right auction.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

xnavalav8r
Posts: 2643
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:09 pm

by xnavalav8r

I have been running the KMC X10SL Gold chains on my bikes exclusively for a couple of years. I've never had a failure. However, yesterday, my 8 year old son broke his while downshifting on a climb on his mtn bike. He's 4 ft 2 inches tall and weighs 65 pounds. I couldn't believe it. Yes, he was shifting under a load, but it's not like he puts down a lot of power. Considering the many thousands of miles I have on these chains I can only assume that this was bound to happen eventually. Even the best components experience occasional failures. So, despite this single failure, I wholeheartedly recommend this chain.

User avatar
strobbekoen
Posts: 4446
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: BELGIUM

by strobbekoen

In my opinion the best chains are campagnolo and connex wipperman.
and i think gold chains are ugly :D

PharmerBob
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 am

by PharmerBob

I've had one for a few weeks. Several friends tell me they now have "chain envy". I got it because I needed a shorter chain when switching to a compact crank. S far I like it, it shifts very well and is quieter on my SRAM Red cassette.

Rob

audiojan
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: New Hampshire

by audiojan

The KMC X10SL is by far the best chain I've ever used. Have one on every single bike we have (4 for me and 5 for my wife). Yes, it's light, but it shifts better than any other chain (tried Dura-Ace, Record, Connex, etc.), it's much more quite and most importantly, it's durability is excellent, I'm getting about 4-6k miles before it needs to be replaced.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

mjduct
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:19 pm

by mjduct

I've had good luck with the KMC 10 and 11 speeders.

and they are easier to swap out than the campy ones that require a special tool!

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 2004
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm

by Rick

IMO, the gold is worth it!
Image

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 3500
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

Well I am doing the experiment now. I have a KM 10-93 silver chain on now and I will see how long it lasts. Then I will try an higher grade KMC and then a campag record. I suspect the 10-93 will last long enough.

emike
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: Tallinn

by emike

I read some time ago an article that KCM updated their SL line. Has anyone tried it?

User avatar
bikerjulio
Posts: 1901
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Welland, Ontario

by bikerjulio

Don't know about an update, but I did buy a couple of 11 spd KMC chains back in November, one was an SL, and they are the quietest drivetrains I've ever not heard.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post