Is the KMC X10sl GOLD chain worth the money?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shinkansen

by shinkansen

Is the KMC X10sl GOLD chain worth the money?... I'm temptd to get one but wondering it there any real benefit to paying $60 or so for a chain instead of $30 for something else... They are TiN coated...? Do they last longer or stretch just the same as other chains. I've ridden the KMC X10 and wasn't overly impressed...

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

shinkansen wrote:Is the KMC X10sl GOLD chain worth the money?... I'm temptd to get one but wondering it there any real benefit to paying $60 or so for a chain instead of $30 for something else... They are TiN coated...? Do they last longer or stretch just the same as other chains. I've ridden the KMC X10 and wasn't overly impressed...

I've got the X10 Gold version (not the SL-version) from www.ts-bikes.be and the price was almost the same of a Campa Record chain. Other WW-members can explain more precisely the exact benefits of this chain, but my experience with it so far is that it seems more smooth than all chains I've been riding before. It should be more durable, I'm told; I'm using it only a month now, so I can't confirm this yet (durability of the Record chain is average, I changed those every 3000km or less: that contributed to a higher lifetime of cassette and chain rings).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

C a s r a n wrote:(durability of the Record chain is average, I changed those every 3000km or less:

Very interesting. What was the wear after 3000km? Like 0.3-0.4?

My experince is that Record chains are more like superrior in wear. Like 10-15 times over Shimano. And I sell KMC chains more than any else chains...today AGAIN new KMX chains to my SS...

Luc

by Luc

We're maybe experiencing an endemic Record chains' weakness in Belgium... (or is it just due to weather conditions ?) Just like C a s r a n's, mine flies to the trash can after maximun 3500 km.... :cry:
Pollice verso.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Samu Ilonen wrote:Very interesting. What was the wear after 3000km? Like 0.3-0.4?

My experince is that Record chains are more like superrior in wear. Like 10-15 times over Shimano.

I haven't measured Samu, but I don't want to take any risk with it during the competition season. The wear wasn't too big and better than the Shimano ones I used before indeed. I once broke one in a sprint after only 2000km (including mostly competition kilometers).

The life time of Campa cassettes and chain rings is very high (up to 15000km), especially if you change the chain in time! In that sense Campa isn't more expensive than Shimano.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

We're maybe experiencing an endemic Record chains' weakness in Belgium...

I suspect most LBS in Belgium don't bother to use the proper Campa tool to link the ends of the chain together.
This is mainly a concern with the newer C10 Ultra hollow roller ones, the ordinary C10 seems to take their abuse better....
As a beside, I also can't help but notice that most LBS set up a Campa group just like they would do with a Shimano. That sure is a way for rattleing chain troubles IMHO. :roll:

Other than that, I think the new KMC is a pretty good chain but let's see what the field experience will bring later on when there's some more serious miles on them.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Well, chain gauges only cost 15-50€...I use them. No quessing, just the facts.

I have C9's,C10 and C10 Ultra's and wear is like 0.75 after 7000km. Then I change them. And cassette works like new. In MBA mag, they changed on 1.0....

My friend new Intense Spyder toasted Shimano XTR chains in 590km....and I always broke them in pieces in hour on mtb's and I used right connectors.

I use always White Lightning Std. chain wax.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

does the kmc x-10sl weigh significantly lighter than standard kmc x-10?

TS-Biker

by TS-Biker

yes, mine weights 217gr. including the missing link !

you can see it here

sorry for the poor quality of the photo :oops:
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it !

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

TS-Biker wrote:yes, mine weights 217gr. including the missing link

Is that for full length? :shock:

Rich_W

by Rich_W

For my x10SL, I got 240 uncut with link... and 16g for the length I cut off... so 224g total.

TS-Biker

by TS-Biker

Mads Kock wrote:
TS-Biker wrote:yes, mine weights 217gr. including the missing link

Is that for full length? :shock:

no, cutted on good length !
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it !

Ottoturbo

by Ottoturbo

Mine weighed 257g for 115 links. Heavier than the spec, even heavier than a XG-1091R chain.

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Yes it is totally worth the money. If you want to make your bike look much more attractive or get that bling factor for your bike. As for the durability, it'll be just as durable as any high end chain give for take. The shifting on the chain is incredibly smooth, although the coating on the chain WILL wear off eventually depending on how many times your shift.

On a side note: I used to race although I wasn't an ultra serious contender. I had a pretty sexy bike and I noticed a lot of dudes eyeing my bike. *serious bling factor*
(cause the gold chain was so shiny)

just my 2 cents.

luckysix

by luckysix

In my experience, the gold x10sl is cheaper than the silver one. I got one for $35 shipped on ebay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com