Chainrings: Stronglight CT2 v TA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

How do the Stronglight CT2 chainrings compare to T.A. Syrius? I've used the latter, and found that the smaller sizes wear pretty quickly.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

journeymonk

by journeymonk

I've also been on the Syrius on my climbing setup (34-48) and do find that they wear pretty fast. I have buddies on the Stronglights and they have no complaints--some of them like the shifting. TAs are still lighter, though (and in my opinion, prettier).

Perhaps we should include feedback on the nice new Praxis rings from current users?
"Truth is a pathless land." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

6.29 kg and dropping...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89221

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I'm also interested in this, as I've been eyeing up some CT2 rings.

havana

by havana

There's not much between hem IMHO. I run a TA Nerius 39T ring on my winterbike and a Stronglight 39T on my Cannondale. Both of them do what they are supposed to do. Shifting quality equal to the stock 34T blades. Like with any chainring; replacing the chain every 3.000 km or so prevents chainrings and cassette from wearing out quickly. This saves money too, since chains are a lot cheaper than chainrings and cassettes.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

While they're not super-light, or sexy looking, the low-end Shimano 34t rings seem to have decent durability (IME).

The following provides some insight on the CT2's shifting:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/k-huevo/8202146392/

I'd be willing to pay the premium cost of Praxis or WickWerx if they made a 34/48 combo.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything