SRAM 11 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

The sad thing for SRAM is that they haven't been able to introduce electronic shifting yet. It's pretty easy for them to introduce hydraulics given their ownership of Avid but R&D on electronics would most likely be expensive for them. I for one would be waiting for Shimano's or Campag's discs as the shifters will be a hell of a lot neater without the need for mechanical levers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Force 22 seems like a no brainer. 11 speed on a budget and the new graphic looks great, got all the good stuff from Red too.

airwise

by airwise

Heavier than Chorus and oh so ugly in comparison :)

Aakoo

by Aakoo

What's up with the Force crankset? GXP cranks 820g without the BB, that's 150g more than than the 2012 Force. It's about the same as Shimano 105 crank....What were they thinking?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

looks to be just a rebranded version of the 'updated' s900 crank or whatever....

i think i'd like to go mechanical sram red 22 with a 12-28 da9000 casette. yea i think so.

so for all wheels i own that are 10spd, amd i pretty much hosed?

eric

by eric

Some 10sp hubs have 11sp freehubs available. You may need to re-dish the wheel for many of them, and swap spacers around. You'll have to check for each hub you own.

Guymk

by Guymk

Aakoo wrote:What's up with the Force crankset? GXP cranks 820g without the BB, that's 150g more than than the 2012 Force. It's about the same as Shimano 105 crank....What were they thinking?

I noticed that too, that they new force crank is chunky.. I would definitely pair the new force 22 with the Red 22 crankset.

deek

by deek

Aakoo wrote:What's up with the Force crankset? GXP cranks 820g without the BB, that's 150g more than than the 2012 Force. It's about the same as Shimano 105 crank....What were they thinking?

If they are the same as the S900 cranks which I am pretty sure they are, then that weight includes the BB.

HotDoggin

by HotDoggin

Yeah force crank did get heavy versus the old force/red black

755.5g - bb30, 172.5, std rings no bottom bracket included ( was 645g w/ bb)

820.8g - gxp, 172.5, std rings and also no bottom bracket included. (Was 791 with bb)

All from the sram website

tinozee

by tinozee

addictR1 wrote:oh man............ right after i pulled the trigger on the SRAM Red.. now they have the RED 22? :(

Yup, me too. The next morning after installing the "all new Red" group including a red quarq I read about this Red 22 group. I have 2 pair of 2013 zipp 404s with 11sp hubs. Do you think I would have waited for the 11sp shifters had I known this? So lame. Do you think they will release a new ratchet for people who bought the 10sp shifter? DOUBT IT. They want you to just grab the new ones for only $600 msrp.

Honestly it's time to move on from Sram for me. I keep hearing DA 9070 is the end all group, wish i went that route instead of this inconsistent mess at Sram. I could give a $hit less about hydraulic anything.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I think it was expected that Sram would release their 11 speed group the week of Sea Otter... New right shifter, cassette and maybe FD and you should be set to run 11 speed I bet. They even left the graphics basically unchanged so Red 22 parts will match 2012 Red.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Also really annoyed with SRAM, upgraded to new SRAM Red 6 months ago. Now I have an outdated but new groupset.
My thought is to go back to Shimano Dura Ace as soon as funds are available.
I had DA7700 then DA 7800, skipped 7900 by buying SRAM Red and 2 years later upgrading to New Red.

I think SRAM is annoying many a LBS, as when they do this, it instantly devalues all the SRAM Red equipped bikes in stock. Their poorly timed release of the New Red affected a few bike shops I know, and now they do it again.
No matter how good their groupsets and new 22 might be. Their marketing and release strategies have lost md and a few bike shops I know as customers. Two of theses bike shops will now only order SRAM bikes on customer request.
SRAM, take note, Shimano and Campagno have the following that they do because of consistency and predictable replacement cycles.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Dallez

by Dallez

Ozrider wrote:Also really annoyed with SRAM, upgraded to new SRAM Red 6 months ago. Now I have an outdated but new groupset.
My thought is to go back to Shimano Dura Ace as soon as funds are available.
I had DA7700 then DA 7800, skipped 7900 by buying SRAM Red and 2 years later upgrading to New Red.

I can understand and sympathize with your frustration but this seams to be a case of creating a problem where there is none. If you truly do not like your new 2012 Red gruppo, then sure why not switch to DA. Or if you truly want 11s. But if not, what does it matter about having the most up to date groupset available? 2012 Red is as new or newer than DA 7900 IIRC.

I also don't know about all of this talk about devaluing the current 10s Red and Force groups. It may very well be the case IF they introduce the Red 22 and Force 22 groups at the 10s prices. But they may introduce the 11s at higher price points thus keeping the value and used market prices relatively stable I would assume. We shall see.

tinozee

by tinozee

Dallez - How is that creating a problem? A problem for who?

The fact is that Sram presented the 2012 Red as a top shelf and new group about 10 months ago. When groupset manufacturers release a new group, I think it is fair to expect that it will remain as the top tier group for at least a couple of years. Even if that is not the case, then I think it's fine for CONSUMERS to make criticism of COMPANIES. There is no need to be a fanboi of a brand unless you have some sort of odd insecurity and material obsession.

The point and benefit of product and brand criticism is that it drives improvement - there is a simple solution that Sram could supply to folks who bought the old/new group. Let's see if they do that by creating a fix pack with an 11sp ratchet for the 10sp shifter. If not, it will be the last time I purchase Sram. I would think that they would appreciate that type of feedback. It's definitely more valuable to them than more airy comments buttering their nuts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

Tons of good about the release they did too. Not everybody needs to go 11sp. If you had the choice and even knowing what you know now and your choice was old 10sp Red or new 10sp Red then new 10sp would been a much better choice. Tons of people out there are not rushing to change bikes and gear just because 11sp is out.