Campagnolo/Swiss Stop brake pad compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I've searched about this but getting accurate information is proving difficult...

I ordered some Swiss Stop Green pads to use on my 2009 Campagnolo Centaur skeleton brakes. They were listed as '10 speed' compatible on the retailer's website.

The pads they've sent me are 2011 RacePros which are labelled "fits Campagnolo 2011 Super Record/Record/Chorus". Will these also fit my brakes? I don't want to open the packet until I'm sure, and the retailer has failed to get back to me with an answer.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

From my understanding the newer pads will fit the older shoes. The newer pads have a cut out for the shoes on the newest brakes. I just bought some prince pads and they fit the older 2009 SR holders.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

You should be Ok....these will fit.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

yes. the new pads will fit the old brake shoe, but the old pad should not be used in the new 2011 onward brake shoes. it has to do with the cut out in the pad to accomodate the new springy holding hinge thing.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Thanks guys!

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Also...never move the bike backwards (reverse) with the brakes applied!!!! On the older campy brakes this can cause the pad to come off the holder.....this is why Campy redesigned to the new version with a safety pin.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I've heard that warning before but I'm scratching my head trying to think of a real world situation where that's an issue. Certainly hasn't been so far.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Hmmm....try to imagine you are at a traffic light and you start rocking back and forward you bike with enough brake pressure....something some cyclists do when unclipped from their bikes... I know, what are the chances but I have seen it in person!

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I suppose. I guess I have something else to be paranoid about then. :)

Miller

by Miller

jmartpr wrote:Also...never move the bike backwards (reverse) with the brakes applied!!!! On the older campy brakes this can cause the pad to come off the holder.....this is why Campy redesigned to the new version with a safety pin.

Highly unlikely. Campag pads are a very tight fit in the pad holder. I assumed they'd redesigned the fitment to ease the pain of fitting new pads.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Miller wrote:Highly unlikely. Campag pads are a very tight fit in the pad holder. I assumed they'd redesigned the fitment to ease the pain of fitting new pads.

True story. Last summer I switched back to my alu wheels for a trip to Italy. I had trouble getting one of the pads in and because I'm lazy I actually rode it about 3/4 inserted. Over a week of mountain riding, including high speed descents with heavy braking, the pad didn't move a mm. I'd expected it to work it's way into the shoe, but it didn't. I guess some pads are tighter than others though. (These were stock Campags.)

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

But it does happens as I have seen it......

kac

by kac

I have 10-speed Record brakes and I've replaced the pads 3 times with Swiss Stop Green: no problems whatsoever (but they are a very tight fit).

KAC

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I've just fitted them by the way and they're fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Miller wrote:
jmartpr wrote:Also...never move the bike backwards (reverse) with the brakes applied!!!! On the older campy brakes this can cause the pad to come off the holder.....this is why Campy redesigned to the new version with a safety pin.

Highly unlikely. Campag pads are a very tight fit in the pad holder. I assumed they'd redesigned the fitment to ease the pain of fitting new pads.

Spot on.

Anything else is down to incredibly gross user error really..... As in people riding their bikes backwards with the brake engaged applying enough force to dislodge their brake pads.

Highly unlikely. It worked for decades if not a century. Yet there's always that bright individual, I guess....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.