HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 166
Hey

Anybody found that the braze on mount on their frame gets in the way of correctly positioning that little metal plate you need to put on the seat tube when installing the Dura Ace 9000 front mech?

I have a 2012 SuperSix Evo 54cm and the braze on mount is in the way, such that I had to mount the metal plate at an angle, so the grub screw was only touching right on the very edge, rather than right in the centre as it is intended. I was worried the metal plate would shoot off, so I haev secured it on with a black cable tie. It hardly notices, and is secure now, but it was a less than ideal install.

Anybody else had these issues, and if so, what did you do about it?

Cheers

Owen


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am 
  • 16.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 63 components


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:40 am
Posts: 429
Location: Switzerland
OwenJames wrote:
Hey

Anybody found that the braze on mount on their frame gets in the way of correctly positioning that little metal plate you need to put on the seat tube when installing the Dura Ace 9000 front mech?

I have a 2012 SuperSix Evo 54cm and the braze on mount is in the way, such that I had to mount the metal plate at an angle, so the grub screw was only touching right on the very edge, rather than right in the centre as it is intended. I was worried the metal plate would shoot off, so I haev secured it on with a black cable tie. It hardly notices, and is secure now, but it was a less than ideal install.

Anybody else had these issues, and if so, what did you do about it?

Cheers

Owen


i have seen 2013 SS Evos (complete bikes) without the plate. seems to work

not sure what shimano's intent is with the plate, probably add rigidity in case of 'weak' fd mounts. the SS Evo mounts seem pretty sturdy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 166
Right, OK yeah I think they are just trying to massively stiffen everything up. Seemed a bit of a weird idea to use something so cheap as a little stick on metal plate with such a mega bucks groupset. Interesting that you have seen some people not using the plate. The Evo mounts are pretty strong, yeah; they are pinned on both sides of the mounting slot, rather than just one side like a lot of frames I have seen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:24 pm 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 1976
Location: NoVA/DC
The EVO fd mounts are designed so that the setscrew can rest right on it. The metal plate is for frames that would have the setscrew contact the tube, to distribute the pressure. You will he fine without it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 236
thisisatest wrote:
The EVO fd mounts are designed so that the setscrew can rest right on it. The metal plate is for frames that would have the setscrew contact the tube, to distribute the pressure. You will he fine without it.


Yeah, as long as your screw isn't going to scratch up your frame and isn't pressing straight onto carbon, you're good to go!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 166
The screw misses the mounts and touches the carbon tube. I have to use the metal plate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 1976
Location: NoVA/DC
...yup. forgot that the 9000 fd setscrews are much further back than on 7970 and 6770. I have to look at one in the shop to remember exactly how I handled it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 166
Any info on this would be great thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Posts: 68
Will be using 9000 on an Evo in the future-any more info?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 166
Well, I have contacted Cannondale about this, and their customer service was terrible; a half fob-off, telling me to take it to the dealer (how would the dealer know more about a structural issue than the actual manufacturer?!?!). It was also badly formatted, and full of spelling mistakes.

I have kept the front mech on, and the fix I made by securing the metal plate with a cable tie has been 100% solid, even after loads of heavy shifting so I am not bothered.

Would have preferred Cannondale to have actually addressed the matter in a professional and thorough way though, rather than attempting to palm me off, despite the fact that I own pretty much the pinnacle of what their company offers in terms of road bikes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Posts: 68
OwenJames wrote:
Well, I have contacted Cannondale about this, and their customer service was terrible; a half fob-off, telling me to take it to the dealer (how would the dealer know more about a structural issue than the actual manufacturer?!?!). It was also badly formatted, and full of spelling mistakes.

I have kept the front mech on, and the fix I made by securing the metal plate with a cable tie has been 100% solid, even after loads of heavy shifting so I am not bothered.

Would have preferred Cannondale to have actually addressed the matter in a professional and thorough way though, rather than attempting to palm me off, despite the fact that I own pretty much the pinnacle of what their company offers in terms of road bikes.


Yes, you would have hoped for a helpfully reply seen as they are specing 9000 on a couple of the 2013 evo's :?


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:38 pm 
  • 16.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 63 components


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], idinfo68, killeen, Majestic-12 [Bot], nickf, OrPe and 66 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dura-Ace 9000 Hoods problem. Slippery

in Road

ToffieBoi

9

1090

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:01 am

BRM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dura-ace 9000: Problem switching to smallest cog-wheel

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

luminous

20

1274

Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:22 am

KLabs View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Look Keo 2 Max Metal Plate Replacement

in Road

cajer

6

482

Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 pm

cajer View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) fibre lyte gear mech plate and jockey wheels

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

TomWhite59

18

1319

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:30 am

DWatkinsBSB View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 9000 rear mech jockey wheels

in Road

itsacarr

2

463

Thu May 15, 2014 3:24 pm

itsacarr View the latest post


It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB