TCR Advanced ISP build, opinions please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kieranaldom

by kieranaldom

My Christmas has come early!!

I have finally given in to my urges and started my own lightwieght bike after reading and looking at all the bikes and the components you guys temp me with so regularly.

I’d been wanting a regular TCR composite for a few years as the start for my bike but been waiting until my finances allow. Now ready, I was looking online for a good deal on a TCR composite and found the advanced ISP version at a price I couldn’t ignore so just been measured up and bought it!! :D

Now the interesting bit, this is the build I’m thinking of and would appreciate all your options and ideas. I need the bike to be UCI legal which I think from the current build it would be just under. I used listing weights opposed to the manufacturers as far as possible but still had to estimate from other listing on a few items. If any of the items have incorrect weights please let me know.

What do you think?

Giant TCR composite advanced ISP 2005 frame medium/large including seat clamp (117g) uncut - 1077g
TCR Composite Advanced fork uncut - 338g
FSA 1-1/8" threadless cartridge integrated headset- 64g
Look headset spacers 1x10mm, 1x5mm if required - 7g

1486g

Campagnolo Record carbon crankset 172.5mm - 543g
Campagnolo Record crankset fixing bolts- 32g
Specialites TA Axix light pro titanium bottom bracket 102mm - 145g
Campagnolo Record ergopower 10s - 327g
Campagnolo Record UD10 Titanium/steel cassette - 188g
Campagnolo Record braze on Front Derailleur - 70g
Campagnolo Record 10 medium cage Rear Derailleur - 193g
Campagnolo Record differential brakes black - 312g
Campagnolo Record ultra narrow chain - 255g
Campagnolo Record cables - 150g

2215g

Richey WCS stem120mm, 6°+-, 26.0mm, titanium bolts - 110g
Richey WCS bar 42cm - 236g
Selle Italia SLR saddle - 140g
Cinelli carbo ribbon tape black - 45g
Bar end caps – 8g
Look Keo carbon titanium pedals - 193g

732g

Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium ES - 1529g
Skewers: Mavic Ksyrium ES composite - 85g
Tires: Continental Attack/Force - 400g
Innertube: Continental Supersonic x2 - 104g

2118g

Planet X carbon bottle cages x 2 – 48g
Computer/cadence sensor/magnet – 100g
Grease/oil/air – 50g

198g

TOTAL – 6749g

Thinking about the Richey carbon bars or going for the syntace stem and carbon bar. The specialties TA bottom bracket is approx 20g lighter than the record version for roughly the same price. If I need to get the weight up!!! :shock: I’ll use the record one.

As I build up the bike I intend to weigh and record all weights on this site and if anyone reading this would be interested I will update this thread with photos and any changes in the spec as I go along.

Thanks Kieran
Attachments
2005_TCRCompositeAdvancedFS.jpg
Last edited by kieranaldom on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Just fit the Record BB. It'll bring it up to weight and more importantly you'll have no issues with the chainline not to mention the Campag one will last better.

But why a medium cage mech? Are you going to run a 29 sprocket?

I'd stay away from the carbon effect tape, as a friend of mine fitted it and promptly changed it as it was way too slippery. Cork is best.

And check out 3T Less 199 bars and either Syntace or Extralite for the stem. Bars are lightest alloy bars and strong. Stems are benchmark weights too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

A local magazine tested the 2005 advanced without the integrated post. They said the fork was 470g. Sounded a bit strange to me. Not sure if you've weighed the frame and fork but it might be a good idea before you go any further. Have got a feeling that it was meant to be 370g but just in case.

tcr

by tcr

Looks like a nice build :D ... to be honest I am suprised how light it is given the components, I cannot understand how Jan keeps his bike over 6.8kg when he has LW's and an AX saddle :shock:

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

@ TCR - its easy, he stuffs huge slices of cake and pizza in the tubes to eat while he is riding.
Last edited by RTW on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kieranaldom

by kieranaldom

Thanks for the replies

ultimobici, I think you are right, record BB it is so no problems with compatability. As for the rear mech you are right again, the short cage rear derailleur is what I should have speced. As for the tape, it is only for looks I spec this, has anyone else had problems with carbon effect tape?

stumpytrunks, I took the weight from the WW listing but have just dug out some old magazines to check. Cycling Plus published a test of 10 2005 tour de france team bikes including the Giant, they stripped all the bikes, weighed and checked the alignment of frame and forks. The Giant came out at frame (cut) 1046g/2.3lb and the fork (cut) 320g/0.7lb.

TCR, I was really suprised when I added the component weight, I dont think I am underestemating any of the weights. When looking at mags for the fork weights I also got the weights for 2 advanced builts, both using full dura ace including wheels which I believe are heavier than record and mavic ES. One had deda newton bar/stem,selle italia SLR and attack/force tires and came out at 6.865kg/15.1lb. The other had deda spectrum bars, ITM millenium carbon stem, Arione saddle and open corsa CX tires and came out at 15lb with no pedals. I agree about Jan, if the weights in the mags are correct which I believe they are how does he get the bike above the UCI limit with the Lightweights?

Richard, that could be one way to do it :D

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

Nice build - I have one of these frames waiting to be built up - will post photos when available.

Your frame and fork weights are in line with mine.

Have a look at the Syntace F119 and Racelite bar/stem. They go really well with the frame and will save you 40g.

You could go for a Tune saddle - lighter and the carbon section goes well with the frame.

I also intend to go for the Stronglight Pulsion CT2 - not much lighter but carbon/black look goes well with the frame.

Finally, have you considered tubs? I've gone for the Reynolds Cirro MV (again look good with the frame - silver graphics match the frame). The wheels weigh in at 1800g with decent Vittoria CX tubs and tape - this compares to aroung 2100g for the Reynolds Carbon HPs I have (deeper section). You could easily save another 100g+ with a lighter tub?

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance!

BikeTech

by BikeTech

My Advance http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10925&highlight= frame (regular non integrated seatpost) came in 917gm bare. The fork which still needs about 15mm cut off is sitting at 315gm at the moment.

I was pleased with the weight as I'd read various sources that suggested the Advance was a little porky.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

very nice overall. The Advanced in the colour/graphic pictured is one of my favorite frames.

All your components are top notch. The only thing you might want to look into is Giant Racing Components stem and bars. Very light and stiff and not expensive - a bit hard to find sometimes though. The Ritchey stuff is great also but the look of the GRC parts is better IMO - all nude CF - very nice contours on the stem.

wishIwasSponsored

by wishIwasSponsored

nice ride, light and solid, a real race rig. and richard... that's just cruel

Luc

by Luc

Mr.Gib wrote:very nice overall. The Advanced in the colour/graphic pictured is one of my favorite frames.

:exactly:
Pollice verso.

SDP

by SDP

http://www.echelon-cycles.co.uk/ ..have a look at his wheelbuilding page for an idea

this bike deserves some nice stand out bling wheels

these kysiriums no matter what evolution they are , are becoming old fashioned..

kieranaldom

by kieranaldom

Thanks for all your replies

geraintnorman, thanks for the info, problem is that it seems to be on the UCI weight limit as it is,even though I would love to make this into a superlight machine I cant as I need to race on it. Never used tubs before so a little apprehensive, all that gluing and stuff :D

Biketech, Great bike, love the team colours. Hope mine looks as good as yours

Mr.Gib I did consider the giant racing components carbon stem and bars as they seem very good and would suit the frame. The problem is that I can only find them for 126 for the bars and 120 for the stem. If anyone knows were I could get them cheaper I'd be interested.

SDP had a look at the echelon, very nice wheels but I need to keep above the 6.8kg weight limit. I have read some very good reviews of the Ksyrium ES and I think they would be a reliable set of race wheels. As for bling I think they are good looking.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/images/KSYhub.jpg

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/images/Zoom-02.jpg

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/images/IMGP0799.jpg

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/image ... yfront.jpg

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/image ... ontssc.jpg

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/images/spokerear.jpg

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/image ... ockets.jpg

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

I would suggest trying the tubs - tapes are easier than glue. You could consider having a set of clinchers and then a set of tubs for racing?

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Not an opinion really, just an appreciation.

I have same frame (end of season bargain) and wheelset. Utterly beautiful frame, breathtakingly light.

Pulsion compact chainset with DA elsewhere. I am not a real ww and got bored of weighing every scrap of cable but, with a heavier Arione saddle and the DA levers (about 100g more than Record) I am looking at about 6950 grams when built.

Have you had the nerve to cut your seat-tube yet? I am going to invite some friends to triple check the measurements before the chop.

You are going to have a spectacular bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com