HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:09 pm 

Has anyone added bottle bosses to a carbon frame that doesn't have them? I have a 1st Gen Giant TCX Advanced that has no bottle mounts. because of the ISP it has been really difficult to sell. I like the bike but because it can't carry water on the frame its not very versatile. I looked into adding riv (rev?) nuts to an aluminum frame and the process would be similar but I didn't know if there were different bosses to use.

Let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:06 am 

Hi Dan, I'm in the auto crash industry and there are many types of nutserts. I would suggest talking to a reputable bike repairer as I would expect that they will have the correct type. Hope that helps.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:06 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:50 pm 

drilling holes in cf frames is discussed (and strongly discouraged) here...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/ ... ore_369031

if you are trying to resell i'd think any knowlegable buyer would run a mile if they found holes were drilled in an area not designed for it, even if you sold it if anything went wrong you could be held liable

you can get strap-on bosses or maybe add a saddle or stem mount, not ideal i know, or another possibility would be to fix bosses with epoxy, may need to make a carrier plate for then to get enough contact area for a strong enough bond

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:59 pm 

I disagree . I have drilled holes in my Carbon Trek ,quite a few. Top tube both ends , down tube both ends. Taken cut out rivets that were put in previous.
If I was you I would have no qualms about making holes for cages or rivets. I'm also doing similar stuff to my new £5000 Guru frame. No issues whatsoever.

One rule I do follow is not to drill on any joins,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:14 pm 

My LBS has added water bottle bosses on a few Cx bikes also used for winter road training. No problem at all, even with all the abuse those bikes see in the field. I would say : GO for it, but it has to be done the right way, by someons who knows what he is doing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:47 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
xena wrote:
I disagree . I have drilled holes in my Carbon Trek ,quite a few. Top tube both ends , down tube both ends. Taken cut out rivets that were put in previous.
If I was you I would have no qualms about making holes for cages or rivets. I'm also doing similar stuff to my new £5000 Guru frame. No issues whatsoever.

One rule I do follow is not to drill on any joins,
Your post (anecdote of your own experience) is subject to what is known in statistics as survivorship bias. The guy who similarly drilled holes, and either wasn't as skilled or lucky as you, or whose bike was less able to deal with it, and who crashed as a result and was either killed or so seriously injured that he no longer rides and posts on Weight Weenies, is not here to tell his story. And lest you think I am joking, I am most definitely not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:59 pm 

sungod wrote:

if you are trying to resell i'd think any knowlegable buyer would run a mile if they found holes were drilled in an area not designed for it, even if you sold it if anything went wrong you could be held liable

I think I explained this poorly. I have already tried to sell it and have had a hard time because of the ISP. (meaning I could sell it for 1/10th the cost of the bike and 1/10th the replacement cost of a CX bike with bosses). I am considering putting bosses on it to make it more versatile for other types of training and racing.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:59 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:04 pm 

Are you in Tuscon? You should ask the people at Fairwheel Bikes.