Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT8

by GT8

I've only seen a Canyon in the flesh but think that they look a lot sleeker that the Cubes, although I'm sure both ride great - like most bikes/cars these days, there is no such thing as a bad bike just picking the one that ticks the most boxes for you :)

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

I for one would definately go for the Canyon. The Slx frame is one of the best frames tested at tour magazine. The weight difference between the frames is 60g so, like GT8 said, which ever ticks more boxes with you is the right one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

It's difficult to find more bang for the back than Canyon offers. The SLX is a sub-800g-frame coming as a complete bike for less than the comparable frame alone from other brands.

Real-life impression of the SLX is quite decent as well.

Cube offers in most cases just open mold frames with loud paintjobs (which is not bad per sé).

My vote goes to Canyon.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

legs 11

by legs 11

I can't understand how anyone can vote for anything without knowing if the bike fits or not?
(Isn't it like saying the one with the grooviest colour is best!) :roll:
Joking aside, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to limit yourself to two frames just because they're the one you took a shine to?
How about some of the other options at a similar price point? And how about buying a frame and building your ride from parts?
The world is your oyster and limiting yourself to whole bike builds is crazy IMO.
Pedalling Law Student.

legs 11

by legs 11

This is a ridiculous question BTW.
Sorry, not trying to piss on you......but, It's mad to just buy something without considering the factors involved.
What do you ride? How heavy are you? What is your priority? Where do you live? What groupset do you plan on buying/using.......etc. blah, blah, blah.
Pedalling Law Student.

dogg

by dogg

in my eyes there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a frame if it happens to catch your eye. obviously we could do with more information; riding style, build plans etc. but I've purchased plenty of bikes, frames, and components based on just taking a shine to them, I'm sure there were better options for my $$$ or with better quality but whats the sense in riding something if you don't like it?

the only thing more ridiculous than his question is your attitude...

carbon337

by carbon337

Just to add I've had 3 cube litening's crack. 2x2012 and a 2013. I am now getting a Giant TCR Adv SL and moving stuff over.

I want known quality from now on.

The cracks were both on BB shell on the 2012 and the '13 was on the non driveside chaintay about 3" back from BB. The 2013 was a nice bike i admit, I never really liked the loud colour scheme but it handled well and climbed really well.

This was it, see what i mean by loud sceme, the FFWD wheels didnt help i admit:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=116476

compkiler

by compkiler

Hi lads, thanks for the replies!

Basically im into Triathlon and Time Trials! my Usual rides are between 30 and 40 miles but I like to keep a good average.
My standard of level is probably above average, I can do high 22's in 10 mile time trials.
I live in the Uk where roads aint to cracky!

At present I ride a Boardman Team for my training rides, and this will still end up being a training bike for when the weather is shit and for on my Turbo!
I also have a Cannondale Slice which I love to bits! I have had a Retul fit on this, but i haven't had a fit on my Boardman and yet the Boardman just doesn't feel confortable and I definitely don't feel powerful on it!
I weigh 75kg atm and am 171cm tall, 5ft 7inches! I will be about 71kg again though come spring and race season!

So basically I want a new bike for them nice days to give me that feel good factor as well as great performance when I need it! Once I have the 'said' bike, I will be getting another Retul fit at Velomotion!

As for group set, well id like the best I can afford, weather that be Dura Ace or Di2.

My budget is £3500 and I wont spend any more than that.

Hopfully this helps :-)

arcatern

by arcatern

Procycling has had a couple little writeups on the Cube in November/December. Nothing but good to say except "not an aero bike".

michaelten

by michaelten

Canyon, but I'm biased as I own one

stuka666

by stuka666

From own experience I've had problems with Cube warranty, bought on bike-discount.. and also know people who bought Cube in Portugal and had the same problem.

+1 for canyon

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

I have to say that my experiences with Cube's warranty policies is 100% positive. I bought a Cube Streamer from fun-corner.de and after a while the wheels that came with it went south. I contacted fun-corner who then contacted Cube. After a couple of days I got a DHL tracking code containing a new set of wheels.

But this is only my exprience and it could also depend on the store.

hdeprins

by hdeprins

Probably a bit late...I just got my Ridley Fenix as 2nd bike next to my Look 695SR. Both with Campa Chorus. Amazingly ... Both feel similar and great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT56

by GT56

compkiler wrote:Hi lads, thanks for the replies!

Basically im into Triathlon and Time Trials! my Usual rides are between 30 and 40 miles but I like to keep a good average.
My standard of level is probably above average, I can do high 22's in 10 mile time trials.
I live in the Uk where roads aint to cracky!

At present I ride a Boardman Team for my training rides, and this will still end up being a training bike for when the weather is shit and for on my Turbo!
I also have a Cannondale Slice which I love to bits! I have had a Retul fit on this, but i haven't had a fit on my Boardman and yet the Boardman just doesn't feel confortable and I definitely don't feel powerful on it!
I weigh 75kg atm and am 171cm tall, 5ft 7inches! I will be about 71kg again though come spring and race season!

So basically I want a new bike for them nice days to give me that feel good factor as well as great performance when I need it! Once I have the 'said' bike, I will be getting another Retul fit at Velomotion!

As for group set, well id like the best I can afford, weather that be Dura Ace or Di2.

My budget is £3500 and I wont spend any more than that.

Hopfully this helps :-)

not a lot

let us have the results of the retul fit (the location of the contact points), and we'll see what we can do...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I currently have a Time zxrs in size x-small with a 115 Time stem. Love the reach and feel well fitted to it. I am considering a Colnago C59. So, wondering what size frame (slopping or traditional) and stem length would give me pretty much the same fit. I could give up a couple of mm of reach here or there, but would like to keep it as close as possible. Help appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk