Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Colonia

by Colonia

n808 wrote:I am having trouble finding frame alternatives to fit my long legs and short torso (inseam 93cm, height 184cm). I need a 58cm (virtual or real C-T) seat tube, to get to 82.1cm BB center to top of seat / lemond method. Also, due to my short torso, I need a shorter toptube, so I don't want to go higher than 58cm.

The problem is I then need a headtube length of 190-210mm to achieve my desired stack height, and I'd like to avoid too many spacers or steep stem angle. Most frame geometries for 58cm sized frames have 175mm or so heat tube.

My current Specialized Allez Pro fits me well, 58cm virtual, 55cm C-T seat tube, 200mm HT. I am looking for a very lightweight carbon frame to replace it. I guess I could find another Specialized carbon frame, but they are somewhat heavy, and I don't like the current curved top tubes either.

I was not planning to spend an arm-and-a-leg. The alternatives I have found are the Felt Z1, at around $2600 for a new frame, and the Cervelo R3 and R5s (used). Any other suggestions (frames, or fit wise)?

Why not just lower your saddle so you pedal with a flat heel? Then you'd avoid having to resort to massive head tubes and odd geos? Genzling's formula was meant to be used as part of a fit program, which also dictated a larger frame (62 cm C-T in your case). Using it as a standalone method for saddle height always results in drop issues for people with long legs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@n808: I'm not going to tell you how you should fit over the internet but given that we're similar heights (I'm just shy of 185cm with a 91cm inseam) I had a quick view of the Specialized geometry for a 58 Allez S-works. I know you don't want to spend an arm and a leg so this is probably out of your range, but the Specialized Allez Geometry for a 58 (which you say fits you well) is very very close to my traditional Colnago 61 C59. Plus, the colnago doesn't have the swoopy curves that you don't like. However, it is not superlight by any means, but a very nice ride nonetheless. The geo is so close in fact, that I actually wouldn't mind trying out a Specialized just for comparison sake.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

Thanks - I am not entirely opposed to the curved top tube, so I have not ruled out a carbon Specialized upgrade altogether. The Colnago, great as it does look, is a little out of my intended price range..

Colonia: My knees really like my current seat height. Maybe I could force myself to go lower over time, but not so much it really changes the odd geometry requirements. At least I have a small handful of choices. The Felt Z geometry is what I like best at the moment - will have to visit a local store to try it out.

EDIT: On the other hand, I could look into a 61cm frame, traditional horizontal top tube, but that would mean a heavier frame, and a very short stem (80-100mm).
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

dirtbike

by dirtbike

hi guys,

Currently, i ride Colnago m10 54s. My height is 185.5cm and inseam is 85cm.
i know the equivalent for traditional sizing frame is 58 for Colnago.
However, the new C60 does not have traditional size 58, instead 57 or 59.

Now, my m10 i found myself to expose quite a bit of seat post to match my height and fit well.
will C60 traditional 59 fit me better or 54 sloping? i do like to have the seat post not to expose like now.

are there any owner having c59 with traditional 59? maybe you guys can chip in information.
sadly for me in Singapore, there is not test bike to try on. very niche market here.
thanks all.

russianbear

by russianbear

Looking at the HF FM069
geo:

I currently ride a (pre addict) scott cr1 size 60 - 110mm stem, which feels too big: stack (614) reach (411). My cycling inseam is 88cm, current saddle height (which i'm happy at) is 82cm, height is 192cm. I was more comfortable on a 58 cannondale which had a stack and reach of 579 and 399 respectively. I recently did a short, 10mi demo ride on a size 56 dogma which felt pretty comfortable s&r 569&391. I felt slightly cramped up front but had a 110mm bar/stem combo thing to blame in part for that.

I'm waffling if going all the way down to a 56 is a bit too extreme fit wise and I should be a bit more sensible with a 58.

Fiery

by Fiery

n808 wrote:My current Specialized Allez Pro fits me well, 58cm virtual, 55cm C-T seat tube, 200mm HT. I am looking for a very lightweight carbon frame to replace it. I guess I could find another Specialized carbon frame, but they are somewhat heavy, and I don't like the current curved top tubes either.

I was not planning to spend an arm-and-a-leg. The alternatives I have found are the Felt Z1, at around $2600 for a new frame, and the Cervelo R3 and R5s (used). Any other suggestions (frames, or fit wise)?

Giant Defy and Cannondale Synapse Carbon are both around 200mm head tube for around 58cm top tube, and both with a range of options including heavier/cheaper and lighter/more expensive versions with the same geometry.

aserota

by aserota

Hi all,

I've been struggling with getting the correct bike fit for a while now and wanted to see if anyone had link online to any excellent step by step guides or videos? Before picking up my current road bikes, I spent a lot of time using different fit calculators making sure the two bikes I bought would be spot on, but frankly somethings not right as I can't get comfortable on the saddles I've tried (tested 5 recently).

This is the last ditch for spending a bit of money on a retul bike fit

Flint

by Flint

I currently have an extreme power in a 54s and am looking to change to a C59.

My saddle height is 78.7 cm and my tip of saddle to centre of bars is 65.5cm using a 11cm stem with 3cm of spacers. This gives me around a 7.5cm saddle to bar drop which I'd like to reduce hence the reason for considering the 59 trad.

My question is will the 59 trad simply add the extra 7mm of top tube length to my reach?

Thanks

addictR1

by addictR1

I hope this is the right place to ask this question about Ti frames. I've been checking around and they all say they are Titanium.. but in the material section they have something like this:

3Al/2.5v(Gr5)

what does the AL stand for and the v? AL = aluminum?

also, which type would be best for stiff yet light Ti frame?

fa63

by fa63

3Al/2.5v refers to a titanium alloy with nominal 3 percent aluminum and 2.5 percent vanadium.

6/4 titanium tends to be lighter but I am not seeing many builders using it these days (maybe an availability issue?) other than for small parts like dropouts.

Stiffness is mainly a function of the tube shape / wall thickness.

addictR1

by addictR1

fa63.. thanks!! reason i asked cuz this looks like a good deal.. i think. not sure if it's stiff enough or not though.

MOTOBECANE LE CHAMPION TITANIUM FRAME SET
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170405811094

a buddy of mine rides their CF bike for the longest time and has nothing but good stuff to say about the bike he got from bikesdirect.

but not sure about Ti.. so i'd rather trust my fellow WWer or frame gurus... :)

damike

by damike

Hello

I want to buy my first road bike and have a question about the frame size.

I'm 1.91cm, inside leg length 91cm. I'm young and I do a lot of sports, but since it will be my first road bike I prefer a geometry towards comfort.

I'm going to buy this frame here: (It's in german, sorry. But with the picture it should work ;)
http://www.koba.ch/bike.php?id=96&view=geometry#data

So I'm not sure whether I should take the 59cm or the 61cm. The list of the dealer says 59 for my leg length. But I'm afraid that the head tube with 19cm is too short and the saddle to handlebar drop is not comfortable for me.
(I could sit on some other frames at my size and they all had a head-tube of 21-22cm.)

The top-tube seems to have nearly the same length. So, I am right that the 61 would be more on the comfort side for me? (I know that i still can switch the steam or keep a lot of spacers if i take the smaller one...)

The only drawback I see for the 61cm is, that it's gonna look huge, but probably better than 4cm spacers...

What would you recommend?

Thanks

monchito

by monchito

Hi damike.

Go for the 61.
Besides measures, that i think is better for you for the relation 191 / 91, you always can go to a more racing position in your second bike. ;)

Best regards

Tim13

by Tim13

I am contemplating buying a Aeroad and the sizing guide suggests a L(58) but I previously had a Felt F80 in a 58 and it was too long on the top tube, so contemplating the 56 but worried about max saddle extn to crank distance as a have reasonably long legs. Anyone been in similar dilemma and what way did you go?

nismosr

by nismosr

Hello,
I'm thinking of getting a colnago frame in traditional form. I normally ride a size 54 or a medium, I currently ride a Cervelo R5 54cm. I stand 5'9 with short legs 30 inseam. Should the 50s better for the stand over height or the 54t or even the 53t will be touching my crouch. my previous ride was a 53cm SLR01 with a 55cm c-t top seat tube and never had a problem with it.thank you
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com