Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT56

by GT56

nismosr wrote:Hello,
I'm thinking of getting a colnago frame in traditional form. I normally ride a size 54 or a medium, I currently ride a Cervelo R5 54cm. I stand 5'9 with short legs 30 inseam. Should the 50s better for the stand over height or the 54t or even the 53t will be touching my crouch. my previous ride was a 53cm SLR01 with a 55cm c-t top seat tube and never had a problem with it.thank you

it always comes to what handlebar drop you are looking for

what is your saddle height ? - c bb to top of saddle along the seatpost

nismosr

by nismosr

GT56 wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a colnago frame in traditional form. I normally ride a size 54 or a medium, I currently ride a Cervelo R5 54cm. I stand 5'9 with short legs 30 inseam. Should the 50s better for the stand over height or the 54t or even the 53t will be touching my crouch. my previous ride was a 53cm SLR01 with a 55cm c-t top seat tube and never had a problem with it.thank you

711mm c - t of the saddle, and I'm not particularly worried about seatpost showing, i know most guys like a lot of seat post showing.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

nismosr wrote:
GT56 wrote:

711mm c - t of the saddle, and I'm not particularly worried about seatpost showing, i know most guys like a lot of seat post showing.

i have a saddle height of 71,6

on my R3, with the lowest possible headset bearingcover (8mm), no spacer i get to a handlebar drop of 7 and a bit cms

do you want your handlebar lower, you need to choose one size down

for the c59, do not go larger than 53 (traditional)

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

Quick help needed from the weight weenie collective, My dad has trouble with his knees and as such wants to replicate his bike across his fleet.He's just purchased a house in majorca so can't afford to buy a brand new super six Evo so is looking for second hand, but I wondered if people knew of any frames that share the same geometry and are DI2 Compatible
any ideas?
many thanks
Bruce

GT56

by GT56

4crosswheels wrote:Quick help needed from the weight weenie collective, My dad has trouble with his knees and as such wants to replicate his bike across his fleet.He's just purchased a house in majorca so can't afford to buy a brand new super six Evo so is looking for second hand, but I wondered if people knew of any frames that share the same geometry and are DI2 Compatible
any ideas?
many thanks
Bruce

you forgot to mention what dad rides now, but assumimng it is a super six, i would suggest a caad 10

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

4crosswheels wrote:Quick help needed from the weight weenie collective, My dad has trouble with his knees and as such wants to replicate his bike across his fleet.He's just purchased a house in majorca so can't afford to buy a brand new super six Evo so is looking for second hand, but I wondered if people knew of any frames that share the same geometry and are DI2 Compatible
any ideas?
many thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

This company rent Cannondale bikes out to riders in the Canary Islands for 3 to 6 months. They then sell them off at ultra cheap prices in comparison to new prices. they told me they completely clad the frame in vynil so that when they sell them on they look new.

http://www.free-motion.net/es/venta-cannondale

It might be worth contacting them to see if they have one for sale that fits your dad.
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

vtspot

by vtspot

A very old post I read a while ago in WW. You could take a look.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51071

seve88

by seve88

Looking at a second hand Caad5 size 54cm road frame online. Can anybody who has one tell me the measurement from bottom bracket centre to the top of the seat tube? May not seem important but I have quite a low saddle height and would like to know how much seat post will be on show.

Thanks.

sa0u823e

by sa0u823e

Buying a new S works tarmac, but wanting to go a bit racier than normal and save some weight from the frame.

is it ok if when turning the wheel the foot is at 3 o clock and can hit the wheel. I think its ok as if you turn that sharply then your foot should be at 6 and 12, however I thought i'd best check with some wiser minds.

Cheers
Tarmac S works 2015 - 7.1kg Retired
TCR SL0 2018 - 6.9kg

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hi guys,

Can someone who uses that 25-30degree rule post a picture of their leg extension whilst pedaling? Just wondering what it looks like asthetically.

Thanks
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

flips

by flips

I was hoping to receive some assistance on properly sizing a new Focus Izalco Max frame. I will be going from a Fuji Altamira SL S/M(http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/altamira-sl#bk_desc_tab1 and presently I believe the Izalco Max XS(http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/2014/road/izalco-max/izalco-max-10.html#chapter-3) My current bike has the following measurements, and is quite comfortable. I'm ~171cm tall.

Final Bike Measurements:
Current Bike and Size: Fuji Altamira 2013 Small
Saddle Height: 717mm
Grip Reach (nose of saddle to center or grip): 61cm
Arm pad reach (nose of saddle to back of arm pad):
Saddle fore and aft on rails: 6mm Aft
Saddle: Selle Italia Evolution
saddle setback: 55mm setback
Stem: 90mm - 7
Knee over Pedal Spindle: 0
Drop: 75mm drop to handlebar
Crank Length: 170

I'm having a bit of trouble imagining the difference in stack/reach between the two frames. I presume the stack difference could be the result of slopier top tube, and I take it that the Focus would be a bit more stretched out and aggressive?

Thanks for any help.

NGMN

by NGMN

The fuji is 528 / 370 and the focus is 520/384 in a small or 515 / 379 in zs

So, with the focus in a small you'd need to add a 8mm spacer and an 8cm stem for the same fit approximately. For the xs you'd need 13mm in spacers and be I between stems because spacers slightly effect reach

flips

by flips

Thanks. So for the XS the ideal stem would be between 80-90 mm?

Best.

rjk8

by rjk8

R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

russianbear

by russianbear

sa0u823e wrote:Buying a new S works tarmac, but wanting to go a bit racier than normal and save some weight from the frame.

is it ok if when turning the wheel the foot is at 3 o clock and can hit the wheel. I think its ok as if you turn that sharply then your foot should be at 6 and 12, however I thought i'd best check with some wiser minds.

Cheers

A little toe overlap is no big deal, you'll never be turning that sharply anywhere but a parking lot or while track standing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com