Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT56

by GT56

benjo wrote:I have a quick bike size question:

I'm considering Cannondale Supersix sizing. To replicate my current fit (which I am happy with) I can go with either of the following:

Option A:
Frame Size: 56
Stem: -6, 120mm (with 85mm reach handlebars), or 130mm (with 75mm reach handlebars).
Spacers: 15mm

Option B:
Frame Size: 58
Stem: -6, 120mm (with 75mm reach handlebars)
Spacers: None

If I go with the 58 I could also go to steeper stem and add some spacers beneath it.

I am currently on a 58 Caad10 with a -8, 120mm stem, 75mm reach bars, and 10mm of spacers, but the geometry of the Supersix has changed a bit from my bike. I'm tempted to go with the size 56 so I can get lower more easily if my flexibility improves (I haven't been riding seriously for the last year), and because of the old advice to always go with the smaller size frame if possible. Between Option A and Option B above, will I even notice a difference in handling?

Thanks,
Ben

saddle heigth, handlebar drop ?

benjo

by benjo

Saddle height: 78.3cm
Drop: ~11cm

Total height: 1.82m (a little under 6 feet)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

I would go with the 56 cm frame. I think both sizes will fit you just fine, but the 56 will be easier to sell later when the time comes.

GT56

by GT56

benjo wrote:Saddle height: 78.3cm
Drop: ~11cm

Total height: 1.82m (a little under 6 feet)

txs

i too suggest a 56

consider that the seattube lenght of the 2016 super six evo hm (that what we are talking about, right ?) is almost 58 cm, and stack is 56,7

hyunsoo

by hyunsoo

They don't feel that long. So you could use a 100mm. stem, just as well.

adg7

by adg7

Hi, question re fitting and bike suitability.

I currently ride a felt f6 2013 (size 56) I had a retul fit a couple years ago and from that I have the following figures;
Frame stack 552 mm
Frame Reach 401mm
What confuses me is the manufacturer quoted stack and reach for the frame are 562mm and 390mm. i thought these would be a constant?

The reason I'm getting into this is I was looking at either an aeroroad or ultimate cf slx. My felt is reasonably comfortable so going on manufacturer stack and reach figures the ultimate cf slx would be more appropriate (567 and 391) with the aeroroad (551 and 397) being quite a radical and aggressive change.
However if I'm to believe the retul figures (which I could be misinterpreting) then the aeroroad wouldn't be such a change.

Any insight would be helpful as I'm a bit confused.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I am 177.8 cm (70") and have an inseam of about 34"-35" (level in the crotch measured to floor).

My road bike is a 2013 Giant TCR 2 M/L
Seat Tube: 53.5 cm
Head Angle: 73 deg
Seat Angle: 72.5 deg
Eff Top Tube: 57 cm
Head Tube: 17 cm

I feel like the bike is a bit too big. From what I can find the BB drop isnt much diff from the Fuji Altamira CX frame I am looking at.

Trying to decide between a 54 and 56 on a Fuji Altamira CX frame. I cant find the fork length, so assuming its ~37.0 cm. On the 54 it looks like it will drop me 28 mm and move me back 11 mm with a 110mm stem.

On the 56 it looks like it will drop me 9 mm and move me back 2 mm with a 110mm stem.

Of course no one has them locally...

Code: Select all

54 cm          56 cm
Seat Tube:        54.0 cm        56.0 cm
Head Angle:       72 deg         72 deg
Seat Angle:       73 deg         73 deg
Eff Top Tube:     54.5 cm        56.0 cm   
Head Tube:        14.0 cm        16.0 cm

Other than handlebar drop and length, what else should I consider? I am somewhat concerned about dropping 2.5 cm off the top tube, but is it really that much?

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

@kafreeman
CX forks are typically 395mm
So the altamira has greater stack than the TCR, with a bit less reach
kafreeman.JPG

kafreeman

by kafreeman

cyclenutnz wrote:@kafreeman
CX forks are typically 395mm
So the altamira has greater stack than the TCR, with a bit less reach
kafreeman.JPG

Excellent, I figured there was a difference but my search resultsite had failed me.

kdne80

by kdne80

I am using 51 size for cervelo as 5.9 feet

adcords

by adcords

Hello guys, in the process of changing bikes thanks to a cracked frame around my BB on a Cannondale Super6.
After lots of shopping around i'm more or less decided on an Argon18 Gallium Pro frameset, taking all of my components across as i'd upgraded wheels, saddle etc.

I'm 6'2 with an inseam of 87 - previously ran BB to top of Saddle at 81cm
I was professionally fitted to the Cannondale in a 56cm, although it did feel a little bit small at times, i've spent numerous hours studying geo charts and there doesn't appear to be big differences between the Cannondale at a Gallium L, which has an effective top tube of 57.5.
There's a difference in reach of 1.5cm, is this going to be significant at all (i imagine i need that anyway or could combat with a shorter stem (currently 110 i think)...

Welcome your thoughts, cheers.

https://s.graphiq.com/sites/default/fil ... 420_i0.jpg
https://www.i-ride.co.uk/Root/Images/Ar ... um-Pro.jpg

fa63

by fa63

Running a large frame with a 90 mm stem would not be ideal from a handling point of view, though you would probably get used to it.

That said, 6'2" on a 56 cm frame also doesn't sound right (seems small). Do you have a short torso / arms?

DJT21

by DJT21

adcords wrote:Hello guys, in the process of changing bikes thanks to a cracked frame around my BB on a Cannondale Super6.
After lots of shopping around i'm more or less decided on an Argon18 Gallium Pro frameset, taking all of my components across as i'd upgraded wheels, saddle etc.

I'm 6'2 with an inseam of 87 - previously ran BB to top of Saddle at 81cm
I was professionally fitted to the Cannondale in a 56cm, although it did feel a little bit small at times, i've spent numerous hours studying geo charts and there doesn't appear to be big differences between the Cannondale at a Gallium L, which has an effective top tube of 57.5.
There's a difference in reach of 1.5cm, is this going to be significant at all (i imagine i need that anyway or could combat with a shorter stem (currently 110 i think)...

Welcome your thoughts, cheers.

https://s.graphiq.com/sites/default/fil ... 420_i0.jpg
https://www.i-ride.co.uk/Root/Images/Ar ... um-Pro.jpg

Sounds like you need to see a GOOD fitter; 81cm saddle height with an 87cm inseam sounds way too high. No wonder you're struggling with short top tubes and short stems.

At your height I'd expect you to have a good racing fit on about 1 58/59cm top tube with a 130cm stem.

adcords

by adcords

fa63 wrote:Running a large frame with a 90 mm stem would not be ideal from a handling point of view, though you would probably get used to it.

That said, 6'2" on a 56 cm frame also doesn't sound right (seems small). Do you have a short torso / arms?

My super6 did feel a little small, but always felt pretty comfortable and never had any real niggles etc. even after 160km rides. And i was professionally fitted to it (whether i was made to fit based on stock though...)
I do have shorter torso & arms - running a 110mm stem
I've added my competitive cyclist output, not sure how much i trust this though as have heard some mixed reviews.
Attachments
competitive cyclist sizing
competitive cyclist sizing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

It does seem out of the ordinary to have a saddle height of 81 cm with an inseam of 87 cm. I have an inseam of 85 cm, and have a saddle height of 77 cm. That doesn't mean it can't happen though.

I have found the CC fit calculator to be somewhat unreliable as well, although for me it does a decent job with the effective top tube length recommendation. I would like to think that for someone your size, a 58 cm top tube with a 110 mm stem would be a better start than a 56 cm top tube with a 110 mm stem. As someone has suggested already, maybe you want to get an independent fitting before you spend a bunch of money on a new frame.