Extralite Laser Etched Logo

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
DamoRider

by DamoRider

Does anyone know if you can take the white logos off an Extralite stem? I know the logos are laser etched so I am wondering if there is a way to stealth out the stem.

by Weenie

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Ok; I did a search and people talk about possibly anodizing the piece to "ghost" out the logos on other laser etched products. Is this the only way? Has anyone done this so I could see a before and after shot? And last one - if this is the only way and does work does anyone know of a shop that can do this and has experience doing it?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, that is the only way.

If you want to, have the piece sandblasted first - that will remove the laser etching a bit (and, technically make it a weeee bit lighter) (and, technically, make the aluminium thinner on an already heavily milled piece) (but it should be o.k.). The sandblasting will reduce the liklihood of the ghosting effect. No sandblasting, just straight ano, will leave a ghost.

It isn't that complicated: look up 'anodizing services' in your area. Or "sandblasting services" or "Metal finishing services" as some shops can offer both sandblasting and anodizing (and other options) in the same shop.

If you're set on black, might as well go with Hard Type III - it will be able to withstand outdoor environments better.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

RyanH

by RyanH

This may not be the perfect solution, but firearm people have been using special blue pens to cover scratches on their rifles. Not sure how close a match blue (not the color) pens are to black another but may be worth a try. Check midwayusa.
Strava
Current Stable. The Snob Machine
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg | The Crumpton - 5.9kg